PDA

View Full Version : Larini exhaust - possible Group Buy?

Ewan
21-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Following up on the post about the Larini exhaust on Ebay (http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5897) (actual unit here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-NSX-Larini-Sports-Exhaust-Muffler_W0QQitemZ220343083683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item220343083 683&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)) .

OK - here's the deal. The Seller of the Ebay unit was (I think) connected with Larini Systems, and still has contacts there. He said they will make the now-discontinued NSX exhausts for him, with 2 weeks' lead time. Cost to us will be £450 + £15 P&P, payment via PayPal individually straight to the seller, and he'll arrange delivery straight to you.

He said a minimum of 3 units would be required - we have that. If any one else wants in, shout before midday on Friday 6th Feb, cos I'll be ordering the exhausts in the afternoon.

If you need any more convincing, see http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-zx1ZwgRU and look out for Luke's Larini. Or PM me your hotmail/msn/live ID and I'll give you access to my SkyDrive video which has static revving too - an interesting comparison between Larini, Tubi, Taitec & stock. I think I still prefer the Taitec but it is 3 times the price of the Larini...

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
21-01-2009, 08:58 PM
At £400 I'd be interested.

Anyone run one on here without cats?

Ewan
21-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Luke doesn't have cats on his IIRC :)

NSXGB
21-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounded good then on the youtube clip, not too loud, quite smooth.

mutley
21-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi All,

I only said no on the vote as I have just bought new exhause system for my car.

If I hadn't done that then I would have been interested.

Jim

AR
21-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Well that pretty much cancels my project. I can't compete with that as my systems are costing me a lot more than that.

Those of you who have PM me and awaiting my exhaust, go right ahead with this one.

Regards,

Ary.

PS. Enjoy the droning. :)

NSXGB
21-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Well that pretty much cancels my project. I can't compete with that as my systems are costing me a lot more than that.

Those of you who have PM me and awaiting my exhaust, go right ahead with this one.

Regards,

Ary.

PS. Enjoy the droning. :)

What was your one AR? Must have missed that...

AR
21-01-2009, 10:13 PM
After I sold a few different exhausts, some members PM me and for the last 3 or so months I've been working on an exhaust. Due to me going Holiday, Sgop closing for Christmas and me wanting it to be perfect, still the prototype is not finished. My main concern is the one that is ignore by most exhaust builders. Drone, I wanted a system that was quiet at motorway speeds and wail at VTEC. I also wanted a system that will allow cats.

I guess I'll call it the Spruce Goose sytem.

Price was going to be around £ 650 to £ 700.

In a way I am glad as after talking to my exhaust guys I was probably going to make less than £ 50.00 after all the messing about.

Regards,

Ary

Ewan
21-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Ary

Let's not jump the gun: it may be that the seller of the brand new Larini system on Ebay only got £450-odd for his system, and he really would have expected £750 or more ...

I asked the seller if he can get more systems and for what price: he responded "how many do you want? maybe I'll see what I can do" so I figured on getting a level of interest from the NSXCB.

If your system is better/non-droning, then maybe it's worth more, just like some of the Ti systems are thousands of £ each and are worth more than the stainless ones to people who want their characteristics ...

cheers

Ewan

PS. I've seen the Spruce Goose in its final resting place in the middle of rural Oregon, and it's fantastic :)

Kevin
22-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Didn't Luke get his from Larini itself? His was the prototype one I think. Why go through a reseller to get a group buy?

Ewan
22-01-2009, 07:05 AM
He might have done... thing is, the seller says this unit retails new at £1300+, so selling on Ebay for £456 is a heck of a difference. Maybe he lost money on this particualar one, but if he can get them new and sell them on for £450 at a profit, that's likely to be a higher discount than any group buy would attract, don't you think?

I'll enquire with Larini directly to see what they say... will post back here when there's something to report.

Ewan

Lankstarr
22-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Mine wa sthe prototype from Larini - speak to Dave IIRC.

The original one I had was, as those that heard it will testify, ear bleedingly loud! It went back for a rebuild and I ended up with an exhaust that isn;t too loud on start up and idle (I live in a close and leave at 6 am every morning!) and IMO sounds fantastic when I put my foot down. Motorway driving at 80 is hardly louder than OEM but our drive-bys showed that mine was one of the louder exhausts to the bystander when on full chat.

My exhaust is cat back and I have decat pipes. TBH adding the decat pipes didn;t make a huge difference to the noise... but gives you the option of turning things up a little and releasing and extra 0.375hp if you feel the need.

I'm happy to take questions about the exhaust via pm or to giev test drives if people come to me in Basingstoke.

I'm sure it's a combination of exhaust, decat, airbox and air scoop but I sound tested my car this morning and it sounds like I'm producing 343hp which isn;t bad for NA... do I win any prizes?

Thanks,
Luke

Hagasan
22-01-2009, 01:17 PM
As Kevin was saying and I agree......

seems like it makes more sense to go direct to Larini than paying a middleman a cut......I'd be interested to hear what Larini's retail is and what they could do a GB for. £450 ish given the size of market would be quite cheap I think because they don't appear to be a budget company building for high end models....

AR
22-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't confuse Larini with Tubi. Larini are made in a factory in Collumpton. They have no manufacturing facility as another company makes them for them. ( Phoenix Exhausts )

So if you are buiyng this thinking that you are getting an Italian made/designed exhaust, think again.

Cheers,

AR

AR
22-01-2009, 04:29 PM
PS at £ 400 I'll get one just to put "MY" muffler on it. :)

Hagasan
22-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Don't confuse Larini with Tubi. Larini are made in a factory in Collumpton. They have no manufacturing facility as another company makes them for them. ( Phoenix Exhausts )

So if you are buiyng this thinking that you are getting an Italian made/designed exhaust, think again.

Cheers,

AR

Hi AR,

not sure if the above was directed at me? If so I know Larini are in Devon. I was merely suggesting that the seem to offer exhaust for high end cars.....I know they aren't Tubi....

Cheers,

Gary

AR
22-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi AR,

not sure if the above was directed at me? If so I know Larini are in Devon. I was merely suggesting that the seem to offer exhaust for high end cars.....I know they aren't Tubi....

Cheers,

Gary

Gary it was a general announcement :) not having a go at you at all mate. Just want people to be aware that Larini is not an Italian made exhaust.

As I said at £ 400 is a good deal as most places want around £ 650 to £ 750 and up for an NSX system.

Cheers,

AR

Ewan
22-01-2009, 07:16 PM
As Kevin was saying and I agree......

seems like it makes more sense to go direct to Larini than paying a middleman a cut......I'd be interested to hear what Larini's retail is and what they could do a GB for. £450 ish given the size of market would be quite cheap I think because they don't appear to be a budget company building for high end models....

I contacted Larini and the response was...

>> Sadly we no longer produce this system, nor do we do group buys.

So that's that avenue closed.

TheSebringOne
22-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Luke, why would you have decat pipes that only give you 0.375hp!? or you mean 3.75hp? Is it purely for sound purposes/effect, rather than a bit more power ? :)

jamieburke
25-01-2009, 11:01 PM
that larini system looks like total ****e compared to whats out there.

AR
25-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Jamie, is what is inside what counts. :)

NSX 2000
25-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Jamie, is what is inside what counts. :)

I'm really having to bite my lip not to reply to the above quote!

markdas
26-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Thankfully I am sorted with an exhaust, after studying and listening to as many as I could (Japfest last year was useful) I went for the GT Extreme £1350 (but depends on exchange rate as they are made to order in Japan). I dealt with Ravi at Umbrella Autodesign in USA, but he has an NSX he tests stuff on. An additional £110 import duty, but the quality it so very good, welds are perfect, the fit, flange to flange was spot on. It also has a removable spool piece that allows you to insert difference restrictors, so that you can change the pitch and flow through/or bypassing the actual silencers....

Not the cheapest, but not the dearest, the sound is so good, throaty on startup, crisp at at 3000rpm, howls at Vtec but never drones on a long journey. I kept the OEM one in case it did, but I will be selling that one now as no way could I go back to the muted silence of the OEM set up.

Mark

Midnight Blue
26-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi,

as an alternative, I spoted 3 NSX's shown on pages 3 and 4 of the car gallery of www.zorstec.com (http://www.zorstec.com) a manufacturer of exhaust systems and manifolds for cars and bikes in Shipley. There are reasonably close up pictures of the exhaust systems shown pre fitting and fitted.

I have no interest in this company, but the reg of two of the cars is visible, a red one 2268 KR and a white one NSX 1.

If the owners are on here or known to one of us, they may give a lead to a UK supplier.

Cheers,

Andy

Hagasan
26-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I think the white one is actually silver but never mind.....:rolleyes:

The red cars version has a fair run of pipework. I wonder how the sound differs between the two? The silver one being a more conventional factory configuration. Both without Cats I notice....

Rob_Fenn
26-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Had a Zorstec on ours... guessing another member has it now.

Ewan
29-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I contacted Larini and the response was...

>> Sadly we no longer produce this system, nor do we do group buys.

So that's that avenue closed.

OK, so the guy on Ebay says he'd want £470 + £15 delivery for a group buy; he says he can get them "because he knows them" - so dunno if he can persuade Larini to manufacture, even if they say they don't produce that system any more.

He says he'd need a minimum of 3 orders, and it would take 2 weeks to fulfil. Anyone up for it? Please PM me if you're prepared to commit, and I'll push the button.

cheers
Ewan

Silver Surfer
29-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll have one.

SS

Dave J
29-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I'll have one as well, will send you a PM with my contact details.
Dave.

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 09:56 PM
OK, so the guy on Ebay says he'd want £470 + £15 delivery for a group buy; he says he can get them "because he knows them" - so dunno if he can persuade Larini to manufacture, even if they say they don't produce that system any more.

He says he'd need a minimum of 3 orders, and it would take 2 weeks to fulfil. Anyone up for it? Please PM me if you're prepared to commit, and I'll push the button.

cheers
Ewan

In light of recent events with internet transactions, before I give you a yes, what form of id have you got for this guy and how is the transaction going to happen? Is this via ebay, paypal etc. or do you just have this guy's email address?

Ewan
29-01-2009, 10:04 PM
In light of recent events with internet transactions, before I give you a yes, what form of id have you got for this guy and how is the transaction going to happen? Is this via ebay, paypal etc. or do you just have this guy's email address?

Well, at the moment, I have his ebay ID only - but if I have at least three people saying they will commit to buying at that price then I'll get more detail from him. All I'm saying is, if anyone says on this thread (or on my PM) that they definitely want one, I'll consider them good, then do the negotiation with the seller - and at the point when an order is placed, I'll look for further confirmation from the buyer that it's going ahead.

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Do you know where about's in the contry the Ebay guy is (from his id), just in case people can pick up?

Hagasan
29-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Feel like Magnum PI but just like the Dali, NXR GT debacle, I have the guys details should you need them.

PM me if necessary

Ewan
29-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Do you know where about's in the contry the Ebay guy is (from his id), just in case people can pick up?

Cheshire, apprently.

I've PMed him again to ask for more details. In the meantime, if anyone's interested in doing the deal, let me know. Looks like we already have 3 takers (Silver Surfer, Dave J & me) - so should be able to proceed with the offer as described. Any more takers and the price will presumably be able to drop somewhat...

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Do you have any other specs on the exhaust, like bore & weight, also any pictures?

forumadmin
30-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Just remember that some of you have different years of cars in that list.

SS has a 3.0, but with 3.2 manifolds and cats, so should get a 3.2 system, and do away with the adaptor pipes.

Don't know about the others, but I think there is a 3.0 in there as well.

Dave J
30-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Mine (when i collect it on Saturday!) is an early 3ltr. Most ebay sellers are decent but as long as you have the guys name & address then i'm more than happy to pay upfront.
Dave.

markdas
30-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Hagasan....

You are the oracle!!! :D

Lankstarr
30-01-2009, 03:03 PM
If this is the same as my exhaust and you get it for the price listed then you can't go far wrong. If you can pay for the group buy on a credit card it will provide you with some extra protection. Something I'll be doing everytime I buy something having just lost over £1k with Empire direct:( With that and Dali I don't want to ever buy anything on line again!

Hagasan
30-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Hagasan....

You are the oracle!!! :D

Aye, wil bein a Scoatsman tae, wiv gott'ae look efter thiz Sassenachs on the odd occasion when wi caen:D:laugh::D

Ewan
30-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Aye, wil bein a Scoatsman tae, wiv gott'ae look efter thiz Sassenachs on the odd occasion when wi caen:D:laugh::D

Zaramarraoanyerbarraclara? Sanoffycaulddaythedayissitno.

Ewan
30-01-2009, 08:17 PM
OK, so the seller will do £450 + delivery for these and wants to take PayPal. I'm happy to pay one-off, and then collect the cash from you on bank transfer if you like (I'm a trusting soul...) once we have the goods.

So far, people who want to buy:

- Ewan
- Silver Surfer
- Dave J

and maybes...

- NSXGB
- AR?

If you're interested, say so by noon on Friday 6th Feb by adding your name to the list above.

- I've asked a couple more questions re weight etc; as for pics (NSXGB), see
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220343083683

cheers
Ewan

Hagasan
30-01-2009, 11:17 PM
As I think Forumadmin commented,

be careful with your model year differences. The 91-96 uses the three bolt flange joints and the later models use the two bolt fixing with fancy spring bolts and a larger gasket. Not only that but the earlier cars have shorter pipes up to where they join with the cats and the later exhausts have longer piping with bends built in taking them to different type cats....

The exhaust shown on ebay won't fit a 97+ car without modifications....either the exhaust needs to be made differently or adaptor pipes from Dali (:eek::eek:) or SoS are required....

Don't get stuck with something you can't use......

Ewan
31-01-2009, 01:06 AM
As I think Forumadmin commented,

be careful with your model year differences. The 91-96 uses the three bolt flange joints and the later models use the two bolt fixing with fancy spring bolts and a larger gasket. Not only that but the earlier cars have shorter pipes up to where they join with the cats and the later exhausts have longer piping with bends built in taking them to different type cats....

The exhaust shown on ebay won't fit a 97+ car without modifications....either the exhaust needs to be made differently or adaptor pipes from Dali (:eek::eek:) or SoS are required....

Don't get stuck with something you can't use......

Right - we need to check that these are compatible with the right cars. As I understand it, the vast majority of aftermarket systems were designed with the original 3.0L in mind, and fitment to subsequent NA2 (3.2L) models requires the adapter pipes... am I right?

As per SoS website (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/exhaust_adaptors/) ... (see here (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/1997exhausts/default.asp))
Q: Why do exhausts for 1997 and later NSXes cost more?A: Due to a design change by Honda, the 1997 and later NSXes require additional hardware. These exhausts include additional pipes designed for the aftermarket exhausts we sell. The 1997 and later exhausts also include brand new stainless bolts, nuts, and crush washers, added assurance for a clean and easy bolt-on installation.

diagram: factory exhaust design profileshttp://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/1997exhausts/exhausts.gif

Now it looks like the Larini systems in question are of the first type...
http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2a/1c/c30c_1.JPG

Q: Can someone in the definitive know confirm that, if they are of the original 3.0L design, will SoS (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/exhaust_adaptors/)or Taitec style adapter pipes allow fitment to 97-on (3.2L) cars?

I see Dali used to have separate 97-99 (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1859)and 2000+ (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1860) adapter pipe items. Can anyone say if there is any practical difference? Are the Science of Speed (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/exhaust_adaptors/) pipes good for all post-96 3.2L fitments?

cheers!
Ewan

Silver Surfer
31-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I'll take any of the exhaust type as I already have the test pipes and extensions fitting to my original 3.0 '91 back box! If I get the later model, then the extensions will be for sale.......

SS

AR
31-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Guys the exhaust is for 1990 to 1997 and some 98.

As Hagasan pointed out if you get have a 1995 plus until 97 and some 98s, you can use your OEM adaptors.

At the current price I will pass as for a an extra couple of bills I can build my exhasut and in the mean time I'll keep shrieking with the Gruppe M, which incidentally I managed to align today!

Hope it all works out for you guys.

Cheers,

AR

Hagasan
01-02-2009, 12:15 AM
"As Hagasan pointed out if you get have a 1995 plus until 97 and some 98s, you can use your OEM adaptors"

I'm not sure the Science of speed website diagrams are accurate with regards to OEM adaptors? Well not with reference to UK & Euro models anyway.

I think that all cars from 91-96 use the three bolt flange and then 97+ (3.2L) use the 2 bolts "ball & socket" I don't think the OEM adaptors were ever fitted to UK cars?? I have a 96 car and it doesn't have them, it has the complete 3 bolts flange fittings and is original...

My parts disc would appear to confirm the above for a Eurp 96 whereas if you look on the US online Acura parts catalogues the 95 & 96 cars have the adaptors. his would appear to be to accomodate different CATS and may be due to different emissions standards?

AR
01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
"As Hagasan pointed out if you get have a 1995 plus until 97 and some 98s, you can use your OEM adaptors"

I'm not sure the Science of speed website diagrams are accurate with regards to OEM adaptors? Well not with reference to UK & Euro models anyway.

I think that all cars from 91-96 use the three bolt flange and then 97+ (3.2L) use the 2 bolts "ball & socket" I don't think the OEM adaptors were ever fitted to UK cars?? I have a 96 car and it doesn't have them, it has the complete 3 bolts flange fittings and is original...

My parts disc would appear to confirm the above for a Eurp 96 whereas if you look on the US online Acura parts catalogues the 95 & 96 cars have the adaptors. his would appear to be to accomodate different CATS and may be due to different emissions standards?

I bought S2 NSX,s OEm exhaust from Steve ( previous keeper ) when I needed to replace the Tubi on my written off one. It was from 1997 and it was in two parts with those adapters. I can't remember if Luke's is the same way.

I believe that there are three cats for NSX.

Even more strange my NSX-R OBD I had sensors in the cats!

Sorry for any confussion I might have brought to the matter.

Ewan
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Ary; so it seems that these Larini systems will go straight onto up to pre-97/98 cars, and 3.2L cars will need the SoS or similar adapters. I know of a couple of sets of adapters which are for sale, or else they're about $230 + shipping + customs from SoS.

I got word back from the seller again; he said Larini don't make the NSX system any more, but he's got friends who work there and they said they'd do one-offs for him.

cheers
Ewan

Hagasan
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
"I know of a couple of sets of adapters which are for sale"

I could do with a set myself.....Who's selling?

Lankstarr
01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
My '97 OEM exhaust is only one piece, my Larini required adapters to fit and, AFAIK all 3.2's require teh same adapter pipes... in fact I'm pretty sure as I borrowed James' Tubi adapters to fit mone originally and they're now on his 02 LBB... so they must all be the same!

Cheers,

Luke

Ewan
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
So far, people who want to buy:

- Ewan
- Silver Surfer
- Dave J
- NSXCB

Ewan
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
OK, latest contact with the seller is that he'll take £450 + £15pp, individually paid to him via PayPal and he'll individually ship the exhausts (after 2 weeks manufacturing time).

As before - shout by Friday if you want in.

cheers
Ewan

Dave J
04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Ewan, have you got his name & address just in case? Paypal won't cover you unless it's an ebay transaction as i've just found out :(. At least with an address we'd have a place to start :)
Dave.

NSXGB
04-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Ewan, have you got his name & address just in case? Paypal won't cover you unless it's an ebay transaction as i've just found out :(. At least with an address we'd have a place to start :)
Dave.

Dave, as an extra safety measure, make sure your paypal takes the money from your credit card, then you can claim from them in the event of a 'Dali'.

Hagasan
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I think I gave Ewan the guys details a few days ago......so he should have an address.

Dave J
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Dave, as an extra safety measure, make sure your paypal takes the money from your credit card, then you can claim from them in the event of a 'Dali'.

Paypal are the biggest thieves i've dealt with lately!! As long as the seller's decent (most are) and you have an address then i'm happy and looking forwards to a decent sounding exhaust :D I've just been anoying my good lady with a sound comparison. One thing i did notice around a minute into the video is that car almost pulling into the path of the NSX, that would have been nasty!
Dave.

Ewan
05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Dave - yes, I have his address...

I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and place the orders, with the expectation that each of us will pay him directly and provide delivery address.

cheers
Ewan

Dave J
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Any news matey?
Dave.

Ewan
08-02-2009, 09:15 AM
hi guys - I spoke with the seller (David) yesterday, and he said he's going to send me through his Paypal details & address. When I receive that, I'll send him my ££ and delivery address, and the contact details of Dave J, NSXGB and Silver Surfer... and I'll notify each of you that it's done, so you can send him your payment and give him delivery details.

He originally said 2 weeks lead time, but thinks they might be able to shorten that somewhat - I'm guessing the factory isn't exactly running at full steam in these difficult times...

cheers
Ewan

Silver Surfer
08-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Can he make the tail pipes large-oval like the original but real rather than fake ones if you know what I mean??

SS

forumadmin
08-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't do oval, SS. They look cack. 2002 model, round with angled sliced cut off is best.

Silver Surfer
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Don't do oval, SS. They look cack. 2002 model, round with angled sliced cut off is best.

Okey Dokey...I'll stick to the standard round....don't know if they are sliced cut.

I suspect they will charge another £50 or more to lop a bit off. ;)

Keeping well Kev? Much snowboarding so far?

SS

Ewan
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Here's how they look on Luke's car...

Silver Surfer
08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Cheers Ewan,

I'll have to make-do with two round tips less like 98% of owners. ;)

SS

TheSebringOne
11-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I think the silver NSX (reg 1 NSX) is the one on PH which had a engine fire in the dash/front boot compartment area. The zorst tips the same, wheels look similar & its got a 2Mills sticker on the rear glass hatch.

AR
11-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I think the silver NSX (reg 1 NSX) is the one on PH which had a engine fire in the dash/front boot compartment area. The zorst tips the same, wheels look similar & its got a 2Mills sticker on the rear glass hatch.

Yes it is the same one, Dale's old car.

The oval depends on the style like on NSX1 they look crap as Kevin said, like on the GruppeM they look superb.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/tuner_exclusive_performance_products/GruppeM/V3_exhaust_mountedrear.jpg

TheSebringOne
17-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Ary, I thought that model GruppeM was round, but maybe they are very slightly oval? Having said that they are in fact one of my fave zorst & tips combo around at present.

AR
17-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Ary, I thought that model GruppeM was round, but maybe they are very slightly oval? Having said that they are in fact one of my fave zorst & tips combo around at present.

I can confirm that they are not, it is one of my favourite exhausts, which brings me to the question of how many exhaust i have had without counting OEM:

Tubi
ARK with custom tips
GT-One titan
Gruppe M Style small back box
Gruppe M Style Large back box
Stai Style racing exhaust 2 into 1 no back box
Real Gruppe M

Exhaust fetish or what, soon I will add 2 more two the list...I hope.

Dave J
17-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Ary, you truely are a nutter :). Which one of the list was your favorite?

Senninha
17-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Here's how they look on Luke's car...

They are actually clean and shiney now they've been introduced to some metal polish ;)

AR
17-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Ary, you truely are a nutter :). Which one of the list was your favorite?

The racing style with no muffler single exit wins hands down. I met Amo for a tunnel run and it was brutal, it was insane! The look on the other tunnelers face was priceless. The sound was like a cross between a dental drill and a JCB!

For real life use and aural pleasure, the real Gruppe M is hard to beat, pricey but worth it.

Lankstarr
17-02-2009, 12:59 PM
They are actually clean and shiney now they've been introduced to some metal polish ;)

Sorry to disappoint you mate, they're certainly not clean and shiny at the moment! I'll wait until the weather improves before I give her a full clean and polish the tips!

You'll be so disappointed with me on Sat:(

TheSebringOne
17-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Ary, I thought you might say it would be the Gruppe M for general/daily road use :yes:

Ewan
23-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Got word from the seller on Wednesday last week, and he said the systems had been ordered and should be with us in 10 days or so...

so - maybe end this week, early next?
Ewan

TheSebringOne
27-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Guys, I have this itch that needs scratching! I'm thinking of trying this system or another one, but that means moving away from the idea of being Non OEM! I've always said I would keep it OEM, but now thinking of changing the zorst. I like the idea of a Larini, seen pics of Luke's, heard the Youtube drive bys but don't like the tips. Can this be changed by the maker of the GB? What are the insurance companies like about changing the odd thing thats a performance part? Do I have to upgrade the air box & add a air deflector to ram more air in? I've made enquiries with H & S, the one that made Paul(S)'s quad tips I like, but not sure as its in Basildon, I'm in North Manchester & they need the car at least 4 days or a week, they have no template and if I have problems its a 450 round trip! HELP please. :undecided::think:

Senninha
27-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Installation of non OEM parts .... next thing you'll be taking it out of the garage!! :laugh:

On a serious note, if you are thinking of the H&S then if it helps, I dont mind popping along and letting them take measurements to enable them to build it. This way you could do the round trip, including install in the day. (I know its possible as I did the round trip to Warrington y'day with a 4 hour meetign in the middle).

Also, I may have access to a set of the high flow cats for the 3.2

Regarding the intake, I definately noticed an improvement with the car revving easier and running smoother as it was now allowed to breath.

The results of all this are in my signature.

Let me know if this is of any help. I'll catch up on Monday as wont be on-line over the weekend. I've a busy one planned staarting with an early mornign brekkie run in the NSX :D

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Thank you Paul, I very much appreciate your offer of help. I am going to seriously think about this, do more research on the options, wait for the Larini GB to see how they pan out & scratch some more!!

Hopefully if or when I do change the zorst, I will drive her a bit more! :)

NSXGB
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone heard from the seller of these lately?

Ewan
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone heard from the seller of these lately?

Yep - he responded to me today - says he hopes to get them early next week.

cheers
Ewan

TheSebringOne
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Guys in the Larini GB, please let me know how you get on once you've received them. I am very interested this system myself. Cheers :)

TheSebringOne
09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
In my quest to scratch a zorst itch, anyone heard of these? Been in buiness over 35 years.

http://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/Site/Services.htm

NSXGB
10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
....When is the 45 days up with Paypal???:rolleyes:

Ewan
14-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I gave the seller a nudge today and he said he'll chase on Monday; the boxes have been made so it won't be long.

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
16-03-2009, 12:35 PM
...Got a mail from the guy to say that they hope to ship on Thursday....

NSXGB
24-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Any received yet?

Silver Surfer
24-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Not Thursday yet...?!

SS (.....Waiting patiently)

NSXGB
24-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Not Thursday yet...?!

SS (.....Waiting patiently)

The 'Thursday' referred to above was the 19th....last Thursday!
These were being shipped Monday, so would expect them today or tomorrow if they were....maybe I'm slightly ambitious.

Ewan
25-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The 'Thursday' referred to above was the 19th....last Thursday!
These were being shipped Monday, so would expect them today or tomorrow if they were....maybe I'm slightly ambitious.

Got mail from David Clark this morning, saying they're "leaving tonight"...

NSXGB
25-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Cheers Ewan.

Silver Surfer
25-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Got mail from David Clark this morning, saying they're "leaving tonight"...

Same here. :thumbsup:

SS

Silver Surfer
26-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Arrived!!!!!!!:):)

SS

Lankstarr
26-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm glad this GB has paid off for you guys; I'm so happy with the sound of my Larini and will be very interested to see whether they went with the amount of baffling in the original prototype or the revised amount which is in the exhaust currently on my car.

It won't take you long to work out which you have once it's on there!

Must now be the most common NSX exhaust in the UK... and mine was one of a kind a few weeks ago!

Luke

Ewan
26-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm glad this GB has paid off for you guys; I'm so happy with the sound of my Larini and will be very interested to see whether they went with the amount of baffling in the original prototype or the revised amount which is in the exhaust currently on my car.

It won't take you long to work out which you have once it's on there!

Must now be the most common NSX exhaust in the UK... and mine was one of a kind a few weeks ago!

Luke

Well, you can come and help me fit mine if you like, then you'll find out what it sounds like :)

I thought Hagasan said it wasn't all that loud on his car... guess we'll find out soon... mine arrived today too.

cheers
Ewan

Silver Surfer
27-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Pics of the exhaust....excuse the colour due to the fluorescent light.

Looks good IMO.....just the sound to check and the change in BHP.

SS

Papalazarou
27-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Looks very nice. Interesting they've gone for a small backbox.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
27-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Cheers, James.

There you go again ... way off thread ;):laugh:

Lankstarr
27-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Cheers,

James.

Good point... sure mine's way bigger than that!

Mine's bigger than yours (and heavier :() I'll have to measure up!

NSXGB
27-03-2009, 12:34 PM
At least they've got theirs...:cry:

NSX R-GT
27-03-2009, 01:21 PM
wow...the exhaust looks pretty good!
can u guy weight them and see how much lighter compare to the OEM?

Lankstarr
27-03-2009, 03:35 PM
wow...the exhaust looks pretty good!
can u guy weight them and see how much lighter compare to the OEM?

good call!

Ewan
27-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Just weighed the Larini - 14.2kgs, and 14.9kgs with the 02+ SoS adapters in place.

I'll find out what the stock exhaust weighs when I take it off :) but SoS reckons 41.9lbs (about 19kgs) for the 95-01 ... http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

If the weather looks OK on Sunday, maybe I'll have a crack at fitting it.

Oh, I'll have 2 spare exhaust gaskets (18229-SH3-X30) if anyone needs them.

cheers
Ewan

Silver Surfer
27-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Ewan...I'll have them off you.

SS

Silver Surfer
27-03-2009, 06:23 PM
NSXGB (Simon)..Has yours' arrived yet?

SS

NSXGB
27-03-2009, 06:30 PM
NSXGB (Simon)..Has yours' arrived yet?

SS

Nope. :angry:

Been in for two days and had the time to put it on, if it had arrived. It seems almost everything I seem to order for my car turns out to be a mare lately....

Ewan
27-03-2009, 07:23 PM

cheers
Ewan

Ewan...I'll have them off you.

SS

Actually, come to think of it Kare, I think you'll want the pre-chamber gaskets for NA1 -
http://www.nsxpartsdb.com/parts/E/B0201/

- look to be part no 18393-SH3-S00. The ones I have are for NA2 between the other side of the SoS adapters and the cats.

Which raises an interesting question - should I be fitting the NA1-style gaskets between the Larini and the SoS adapters? I didn't get any of the fitting hardware with the adapters so I dunno what I should use, really...

cheers
Ewan

Senninha
27-03-2009, 08:37 PM
It seems almost everything I seem to order for my car turns out to be a mare lately....

I'll buck this trend for you in the morning ;)

NSXGB
27-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Excellent....I'll nip to the bank....:)

Silver Surfer
27-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Actually, come to think of it Kare, I think you'll want the pre-chamber gaskets for NA1 -
http://www.nsxpartsdb.com/parts/E/B0201/

- look to be part no 18393-SH3-S00. The ones I have are for NA2 between the other side of the SoS adapters and the cats.

Which raises an interesting question - should I be fitting the NA1-style gaskets between the Larini and the SoS adapters? I didn't get any of the fitting hardware with the adapters so I dunno what I should use, really...

cheers
Ewan

Hi Ewan, Send them anyway and I'll work out if they will fit after I've taken the exhaust off. if not, I'll keep them as spare.

SS

AR
27-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi temp silicone or even regular one works a treat.

Dave J
28-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Mine also arrived safe & sound on Thursday, thanks to Ewan for sorting it all out :). Sorry for the late thank you but i've had trouble getting on here, all sorted now thanks to a new internet provider!!
I was supposed to have had it fitted yesterday along with my decats but the mechanic had overbooked so it'll go on now Monday instead, will let you all know how it sounds :D

Ewan
28-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice one :) Glad to hear it arrived OK... Simon (NSXGB) still awaits his, it seems, but all the others made it.

There were a few people asking about placing some more orders - the guy who dealt with Larini for us said he'd need a minimum of (I think) 4, so what I'd suggest you do if you ARE interested, is wait to see how these ones work out for me, Dave J, Silver Surfer and NSXGB, then maybe organise yourselves to do another GB...

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
28-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Ewan, any chance you could PM me Mr Clark's telephone number please?

NSXGB
29-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Ewan, are you sure they are 14.9Kg?
That seems very heavy compared to the Taitec GTLW @ 16.1 lbs.
14.9Kg = 32.8 lbs - only 9 lbs lighter than OEM.

Just weighed the Larini - 14.2kgs, and 14.9kgs with the 02+ SoS adapters in place.

I'll find out what the stock exhaust weighs when I take it off :) but SoS reckons 41.9lbs (about 19kgs) for the 95-01 ... http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

If the weather looks OK on Sunday, maybe I'll have a crack at fitting it.

cheers
Ewan

Ewan
29-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep, well 14.9 if you include the adapters that I need to fit the 3.2. I weighed myself a couple of times then again with me holding the exhaust... so unless the scales got a bit wonky, it looks like ~14kg is the heft.

Hopefully you'll be able to weigh your own soon... any joy getting hold of Mr C?

cheers
Ewan

NSXGB
29-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Got hold of him, he said mine was posted on Friday? Should come Monday I suppose. . . .

NSXGB
31-03-2009, 02:06 PM
It's arrived...phew.
It is on the heavy side. Mine weighs 30lbs - 13.6Kg.
Must admit being a tad disappointed with the weight but it looks well made.

Yep, well 14.9 if you include the adapters that I need to fit the 3.2. I weighed myself a couple of times then again with me holding the exhaust... so unless the scales got a bit wonky, it looks like ~14kg is the heft.

Hopefully you'll be able to weigh your own soon... any joy getting hold of Mr C?

cheers
Ewan

Senninha
31-03-2009, 02:27 PM

That'll be the sound deadening lead lining ;)

AR
31-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Being that heavy, it should not drone much.

Dave J
31-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Mine sounds ok, i did hope it would be a bit louder but never mind! I'm glad it's turned up Simon, after having a great service from you i'm pleased yours didn't go astray.
Dave.

Silver Surfer
31-03-2009, 11:21 PM
It's arrived...phew.
It is on the heavy side. Mine weighs 30lbs - 13.6Kg.

Good on you Simon..glad it arrived. :thumbsup:
Quality products are always a little heavier....lighter than OEM I think.

SS

Ewan
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I forgot to weigh the OEM before I stashed it in the shed - maybe I'll dig it out again and weigh it for comparison...

As me & my mate were lying under the car, it did feel like the Larini was noticeably lighter than OEM, though it's still relatively heavy, compared to some of the Ti systems, I'm sure.

I think I still prefer the Taitec GTLW sound, and it's probably quite a bit lighter, but is it worth best part of a grand more than the Larini? :think:

I like the sound of the new exhaust, though it isn't blaringly loud, for sure. It did freak the cats (feline variety) out the other day when I fired the car in the garage, so they noticed the difference. And although there's a bass drone at about 2,000-2,500 revs, it's not unpleasant.

If I could have got a Taitec for £750, I'd still think the difference is worth it :)

Ewan

AR
01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
It takes a lot of trial and error or should we call it R&D to make a system that does not drone, is streetable and yet shrieks at WOT.

But it costs more than £ 450.00, specially if you want good welds and a lifetime warranty.

kowalski
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
If I could have got a Taitec for £750, I'd still think the difference is worth it :)

Ewan

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111430

£713 at todays exchange rate if any one is interested. I know theres shipping, tax etc but still a good deal.

Leigh

Senninha
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Ewan wrote: If I could have got a Taitec for £750, I'd still think the difference is worth it :)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111430

£713 at todays exchange rate if any one is interested. I know theres shipping, tax etc but still a good deal.

Leigh

You're such a tease! Poor chaps only just installed the Larini ;)

Ewan
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
You're such a tease! Poor chaps only just installed the Larini ;)

You're a bar steward, Leigh, a right forking bar steward :D

Anyone wanna buy a 2nd hand Larini, only lightly used? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1zdc3AYTM

kowalski
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I aim to please!

NSXGB
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Got mine on today.
Hmmm, not sure if it's for me or not. From hearing Lukes Saturday who's running decats too, I'd say mine is louder and would give kowalski a good run for his money in the volume stakes. :eek:
I think the sound is good though and with the windows up not unpleasant at all. Hopefully it may quieten down a bit with some carbon going through it.

My 'old' Powerflow SS exhaust that was removed is considerably lighter, not weighed it yet but I'd say 20lbs. I'll give it a month and it may go back on...

Senninha
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Simon,

When you left the other night it sounded good with a nice top end rasp. Little Beth commented how it was louder than the blue one :)

I heard Lukes when it was cat free and it was too loud. When I did the r-bay work for him, whatever the set-up at that time sounded good.

regards, Paul

NSXGB
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Simon,

When you left the other night it sounded good with a nice top end rasp. Little Beth commented how it was louder than the blue one :)

I heard Lukes when it was cat free and it was too loud. When I did the r-bay work for him, whatever the set-up at that time sounded good.

regards, Paul

Thanks Paul, good to have other peoples opinions....Beth's included. :)

I think if I put cats back on it would be loads better, but I don't want to do that now, do I?!

Senninha
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks Paul, good to have other peoples opinions....Beth's included. :)

I think if I put cats back on it would be loads better, but I don't want to do that now, do I?!

How about hi-flow cats as a mid way solution? :think:

NSXGB
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
How about hi-flow cats as a mid way solution? :think:

Thought about that....
This is where it would be nice to see dyno data of standard car vs. decat, decat vs. hi flow etc. and how much difference it really makes.
My bank account is mortally wounded from my many recent purchases so the hi flow cat option is not as appealing at the moment.
Ideally, thinking weight wise as well, if I was going hi flow cats, I would have bought a GTLW & had a total weight of about 25-30lbs for exhaust and cats - based on hearing Kowalski's and adding cats to lower volume.
At the moment I have 30lbs exhaust but a tad loud for my taste.
Or I could go back to the Powerflow system @ 20lbs, which I don't think breathes as well as the Larini or sound quite as good, but how much difference in power?

weight vs. performance vs. loudness vs. cost vs. depth of pocket vs. how anal you want to be

Anyway, just rambling on probably about nothing....sorry.:)

Dave J
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
There's me thinking mine was a little too quiet and i've got de-cats! Maybe i've gone deaf as well as bald :rolleyes:
Dave.

Hagasan
03-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Larini quality control......we're these not being made during the lunchbreaks if I remember correctly?:D. I think mine was a Friday-post liquid lunch-effort going by the alignment....

NSXGB
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Larini quality control......we're these not being made during the lunchbreaks if I remember correctly?:D. I think mine was a Friday-post liquid lunch-effort going by the alignment....

I have to say, mine is spot on. Maybe the courier dropped yours Gary? Probably the same one who dropped my bonnet...:rolleyes:

Ewan
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Gary's one was on Ebay so who knows - it could have been kicking about in a warehouse for a while? The other 4 new ones were made to order - who knows if they're lunchtime specials? I can imagine the market for £1000+ aftermarket exhausts is somewhat lower now than it was a few months ago... the option of bashing out a few £400 units might be welcome.

Hagasan
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Gary's one was on Ebay so who knows - it could have been kicking about in a warehouse for a while? The other 4 new ones were made to order - who knows if they're lunchtime specials? I can't imagine the market for £1000+ aftermarket exhausts is somewhat lower now than it was a few months ago... the option of bashing out a few £400 units might be welcome.

I was just teasing as they were only made "because he knows them" and was able to pull a few strings...which made me think they were kind of being made "unofficially" as Larini stated they didin't do them anymore...

It was just amusing reading everyones different comments on the sound...a bit quite, a bit louder and a lot louder!!

I'm happy enough with mine, I'll sort the alignment out properly when I fit the +02 rear valence.....

I was just amusing myself with silly comments. Enjoy your pipe(s):thumbsup:

TheSebringOne
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Really chuffed for you guys. SS, what are the width of the end tips as I can't make them out on your ruler? Would be interesting to see how they fit & sound as I may considering getting one.

TheQuietOne
06-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Really chuffed for you guys. SS, what are the width of the end tips as I can't make them out on your ruler? Would be interesting to see how they fit & sound as I may considering getting one.

James, you do realise you have to start your car to hear the exhaust don't you?:D

Senninha
06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
James, you do realise you have to start your car to hear the exhaust don't you?:D

Damn you, always picking the best response :laugh: ;)

NSXGB
07-04-2009, 09:09 AM
James, I'm not sure what the chances of another group buy are but if you are serious about one at the GB price I could be tempted to let mine go. . . .

madras
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Did people like this exhaust then, seems a bit heavy at 15kg - the same as stock. Larini can still make it for £1035+vat.

Did you all get it for £400!?

Anyone changing theirs?

Cheers.