PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Front Numberplate

mutley
21-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Does anyone (I am sure I saw one at japfest last year) have there front number plate as a sticker on the nose of there car?

And if so, had any problems with it? (Either peeling off or by the boys in blue)

Jim

Sudesh
21-01-2009, 11:48 PM
The silver facelift car on the home page has one! S55 something I think.

I though it looked well. Not sure on how legal or not it is, and if there would be any issue with wear not being in perspex. Or damage to paint if trying to renew it.

mutley
21-01-2009, 11:50 PM
The silver facelift car on the home page has one! S55 something I think.

I though it looked well. Not sure on how legal or not it is, and if there would be any issue with wear not being in perspex. Or damage to paint if trying to renew it.

Yeah I thought I saw it somewhere!

Well I have ordered one anyway, I do think it looks better

Jim

Sudesh
21-01-2009, 11:52 PM
http://nsxcb.co.uk/images/HomePage/CIMG1993.JPG

mutley
21-01-2009, 11:54 PM
yeah that's the one,

Cheers

Jim

Senninha
22-01-2009, 12:12 AM
just loose it altogether :)

mutley
22-01-2009, 12:14 AM
just loose it altogether :)

I would but I don't have the OEM number plate holder which makes it easy to do that.

Jim

Sudesh
22-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Paul your car looks amazing!

Every time I see a pic it just look fantastic.

Jim I would add that to my color options too!

mutley
22-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I just noticed that in that pic it has the 02 skirts and door bits. Does look better .

Jim

BabyG
22-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Mine's stuck on, no trouble with anything. Unfortunately congestion charging cameras can still read them :angry:

NSXGB
22-01-2009, 01:15 AM
....lose the plate....
"Sorry Officer, it must have fallen off??".

AR
22-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Nothing beats the clean look IMHO.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/AR94NSX-R/NSX-GT/NSXforPicasatuning.jpg

Andy
22-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I had a sticker plate. It has the advantage of leaving the front end looking clean, however I understand sticker mounted on the bonnet are not road legal (there is an exception but it only applies to classsic cars like the E Type).

I decided I did not like it that much so replaced it with a small plate mounted under the bonnet lip (with a spare full size one for MOTs).

Andy

Lankstarr
22-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I think you've got less chance of getting pulle dover with no plate!

markdas
22-01-2009, 11:10 AM
The MX 5 guys often use stick on front plates......

We've gone with the .....sorry officer it fell off honest approach.....haven't need to use it yet.

When we bought the car it had a chopped down front plate, with Illegal spacing.....so actually we are better off with no plate rather than a double whammy illegal one. Car looks much better with no front plate. I don't think a front plate actually serves much purpose anymore does it......unless you reverse away from the scene of a crime.......in an NSX???

amo
22-01-2009, 11:50 AM
ya like it off the plate that is mate
but iv just kept it behind the drivers seat and put some dirty sticky pads on there lol
so it did fall off
thx amo

SILVER BULLET
22-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Does anyone (I am sure I saw one at japfest last year) have there front number plate as a sticker on the nose of there car?

And if so, had any problems with it? (Either peeling off or by the boys in blue)

Jim
Hi Jim,
I had a mate make the stick on plate using standard vehicle signage vinyl, it won't come off during normal conditions or harm the paintwork, in fact it is actualy protecting a little bit of the nose!It will come off easily with the use of a hair dryer.
My original plates were illegal so i have a set which i stick on for the MOT as they need to show a post code on them,
Cheers,
Ian

mutley
22-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Jim,
I had a mate make the stick on plate using standard vehicle signage vinyl, it won't come off during normal conditions or harm the paintwork, in fact it is actualy protecting a little bit of the nose!It will come off easily with the use of a hair dryer.
My original plates were illegal so i have a set which i stick on for the MOT as they need to show a post code on them,
Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian, Cheers mate, I have ordered a stick on one now. You say that the stick on one fails MoT? what do mean by a post code on them??

Jim

AR
22-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Ian, Cheers mate, I have ordered a stick on one now. You say that the stick on one fails MoT? what do mean by a post code on them??

Jim

Jim,

I think the new laws require the plate to show the info of maker/supplier of the plate.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
22-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Cheers,
Ian

Never heard of the Post Code requirement before.
Just copied this from another site (Reg Transfers):

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted
....bullet point 3 has me scratching my head a bit too....

mutley
22-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Never heard of the Post Code requirement before.
Just copied this from another site (Reg Transfers):

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted
....bullet point 3 has me scratching my head a bit too....

I think that just means that there is a certain font that has to be used for the lettering

Jim

NSXGB
22-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes, you are right, I was reading too much into that...

TheSebringOne
22-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Jim, I have been thinking about this recently, spooky! Still not sure, I like to go frontless, but don't want the plod to use it as a excuse to stop me! I think it looks well on that 02+ S55 NSX, but would it be different on a pop up with the different front bumper? Please post a few picks when you stick em on, would be good to see pal. :)

mutley
22-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Jim, I have been thinking about this recently, spooky! Still not sure, I like to go frontless, but don't want the plod to use it as a excuse to stop me! I think it looks well on that 02+ S55 NSX, but would it be different on a pop up with the different front bumper? Please post a few picks when you stick em on, would be good to see pal. :)

Yeah will do. I still have the bumper to put on yet, so might be able to put the sticker on first. Will get a pic one as soon as I can.

Jim

SILVER BULLET
24-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Jim

Hi Jim
AFAIK the post code of the number plate maker has to appear on the plates of vehicles registered after sometime ? in 2001, mine is 2002 so post code required.

mutley
24-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Jim
AFAIK the post code of the number plate maker has to appear on the plates of vehicles registered after sometime ? in 2001, mine is 2002 so post code required.

Hmmm I've never hear of that!! And there is noting like that on any of my plates on any car.

Oh well I'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers
Jim

Ewan
25-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Jim

The regulations either apply to cars *constructed before* 1st Jan 1973 (which are allowed to display the traditional black/silver plates), otherwise it's about plates which are *fitted after* 31st August 2001. So even if you had a 1997 car, if you replaced the number plates, you'd be legally bound to use the new style.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information:-
1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

All that said: the MoT test apparently checks for:

"Registration plate - condition, security, legibility and format of letters/numbers"

... doesn't say that it's going to fail if the plate is in minor breach of the regulations (ie if the format, spacing & legibility of the registration is correct, I can't see an MoT failure because the plate doesn't carry the name of the supplier etc).

I'm sure I've had "show plates" with legal spacing/format on my cars and they've never picked up any comment from the MoT.