PDA

View Full Version : how to open glass engine bay cover??

amar_fiaz
24-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi

This might seem like a strange requerst for info. But does anyone know how to open the glass engine bay cover (apart from using the latch by the driver side)?

The reason i ask is i've just got back from holiday (away for 2.5 weeks). The battery was completely dead (kind of expected, considering the very cold weather over xmas/new year). I originally wanted to just flip the engine bay cover and jump start the car from the battery terminal in the fuse box. However, i found the latch in my car in the stuck in the open position with the cover securely closed

I've got round the issue by jump starting the car directly from the battery. This is OK for now but i still need to sort out the latch??

Anyone have any ideas about what i can do to get the latch back into normal position and to get the engine bay cover open??

Thanks

AMAR
1991 H4NSX silver 70,000 miles

TheSebringOne
24-01-2009, 02:24 PM
The latch is manually oprated and does not need the battery power I think? Maybe you need to look at a cable connection or the latch part in the engine bay?

Lankstarr
24-01-2009, 03:21 PM
This has happened to me a couple of times. The latch easily pushed back into the closed position and a few goes pulling it open released the latch and all was well again.

I got a bit more stuck one other time but a friend applied a small amount of pressure to the glass cover where the latch is and it opened straight away at the next pull of the latch. I haven;t had any problems since fitting the new cover as things aren;t as tight in there.

If it doesn't work after trying all of this then you cable may have come loose - start at the latch end to see if anything is disconnected but if not you may have to call Mr Honda to sort you out a new cable and work out how to get into the engine bay. If the latch is broken you could try manually pulling the latch as it's just a cable operated release.

Luke

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi, Amar.

As Luke said, try to push with your finger several times at the bottom middle section of your glass hatch cover while keeping your hatch opener (inside the cabin) in closed position (vertical).

Open/close mechanism is purely mechanical as follows (For RH drive car);
The opener lever (inside the cabin): #27
The cable: #23
The lock assy with security sw: #19
The striker attached to the glass hatch: #20
The Opener assy where the lever (#27) and the cable (#23) connected: #26

Have a look at the on-line workshop manual on Prime, Dali, etc...
It's on 'Body' section and although it is for the LH drive car, you will get good idea on how it works. It will be around Page 20-58 or 20-67 depending on the version of the manual.

Regards,
Kaz

amar_fiaz
24-01-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks for all your comments lads. I'm pleased to say i've finally got the cover open.

I pushed the latch as high as it would go and heard a faint pop coming from the cover (it was open!)

Then to get everything back to normal. I needed to use some force and push the latch back to its vertical position.

Thanks again for your help. I couldn't have done it without you!