PDA

View Full Version : RE040s for 17" alloys

madras
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Are these actually available in the 215 40 17 and 255 40 17 ie the ones for the FR FL, RR and RL alloys.

I'm fed up with not having a set of tyres that are actually designed for this car and have the approprite sidewall strengths and grip levels.

Come on Bridgestone please start making tyres for all 3 different sets of alloys available!!

Papalazarou
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
There might be a set left somewhere, but they've been superceded by the Re050's. I always liked the re010's but they're long gone.

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Bridgestone unfortunately are not in the market for supporting non current cars.

The OEM tyres for the NSX and even the S2000 (16 inch wheels) are no longer available, however they were persuaded to make some of the OEM RE010's for the Integra type R a while ago. Not sure if there would be enough demand for us :(

Running RE050's on the rear with RE040's on the front is a perfect combination anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

madras
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I've just worn out a set of RE050 on the rear in 2400miles so I'm really not happy with them, that only included 1 really WET track day.
Previous set lasted about 6000miles including 1 dry track day.

Not sure if I got a dud set of rears or what but 2400miles is silly.

Anyway with the RE050 and 040 on front we are taking about tyres that do not have different strengh side walls correct?

did the +02 ever have different strenght side walls to normal tyres, ie were the NSX tyres specific.

Senninha
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I've just worn out a set of RE050 on the rear in 2400miles so I'm really not happy with them.........Not sure if I got a dud set of rears or what but 2400miles is silly.

did the +02 ever have different strenght side walls to normal tyres, ie were the NSX tyres specific.

On the first point it may be an obvious thiing but have you had alignment checks done. Many cars have had the factory settings (agressive tyre wear on early cars) tamed down to increase tyre life. It sounds as though you may have yours set correctly for handling as per factory, but you pay the tyre penalty for all that fun.

On the second point ref the 02 cars, they had a selection of Bridgestone, Dunlop and I believe one other brand. The only really 'specific' tyre was for the NSX-R that had unique RE070's and are like hens teeth to find.

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I've just worn out a set of RE050 on the rear in 2400miles so I'm really not happy with them, that only included 1 really WET track day.
Previous set lasted about 6000miles including 1 dry track day.

Not sure if I got a dud set of rears or what but 2400miles is silly.

Anyway with the RE050 and 040 on front we are taking about tyres that do not have different strengh side walls correct?

On the first point it may be an obvious thiing but have you had alignment checks done. Many cars have had the factory settings (agressive tyre wear on early cars) tamed down to increase tyre life. It sounds as though you may have yours set correctly for handling as per factory, but you pay the tyre penalty for all that fun.

On the second point ref the 02 cars, they had a selection of Bridgestone, Dunlop and I believe one other brand. The only really 'specific' tyre was for the NSX-R that had unique RE070's and are like hens teeth to find.

regards, Paul

On the last of the 02 cars (mine at least) they only recommended Dunlops.

Paul.

Monaco92
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I was in a similar situation. However these guys have a stock of re040 front and rear specific to nsx. They are handed left/right so make sure they are put on correctly http://www.elitedirect.com/

madras
04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
On the last of the 02 cars (mine at least) they only recommended Dunlops.

Paul.

Were the dunlops Left and right handed?

madras
04-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I was in a similar situation. However these guys have a stock of re040 front and rear specific to nsx. They are handed left/right so make sure they are put on correctly http://www.elitedirect.com/

Just rang them, they don't have any. They also don;t have any of the 15/16 combo or 16/17 combo so looks like we are all out of left and right handed tyres!

Monaco92
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry about that. They do have them listed on their website.:( Yes the Dunlops were handed.
Have you tried the Honda dealers especially the ones who were official NSX dealers. I managed to get a set of rears (re040) from NSX dealer in Chester.

madras
04-02-2009, 11:46 AM
from Bridgestone:
The RE040’s for the Honda NSX ’02 spec did have a unique wheel at each corner. These have been discontinued and replaced by the RE050A. These tyres are asymmetrical which means that one side of a tyre must be facing outwards as is labelled on the sidewall, but is not unique to each corner meaning you can rotate them around the car.

The replacement details are:

Front: 215/ 40 R17 RE050A Z 88 Y – IPC 77642

Rear: 255/40 R17 RE050A Z 88Y – IPC 77644

The IPC number is unique to the tyre. When your tyre dealer phones up to order they can quote these number to get you exact tyre. The mould version specific for you car is denoted by the Z. This is the best way to check they are the right RE050A version when the dealer fits it to your car as the IPC is not displayed on the tyre.