PDA

View Full Version : Radio Lighting

Hagasan
13-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I while ago I put in the later console, A/C controls and radio from the 04 LBB that was in Ireland last year.

Just noticed that when I put the light on and use the dimmer switch the radio function buttons don't vary brightness like the A/C controls and dash etc.

I'm sure they probably should? Could someone please check and see if their radio works with the dimmer....

Possibly a subtle wiring dirrerence between the 96 radio and the 04 one?

Kaz, if you read this do you know is the wiring pinouts are different?

Thanks,

Gary

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi, Gary.

The illumination of the radio function button doesn't go through the brightness control circuit (illumination control circuit) so your observation is quite normal. You can't change the brightness of these buttons by rotating the variable resistor volume on the illumination contoller.

There is an input to the radio head unit through the tail light relay to detect whether the car position light (side light, small light) is On or Off. Based on this input, the radio head unit will dim its illuminatiion just once when the position light is On.

Regards,
Kaz

Hagasan
14-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello Kaz,

many thanks for your quick response.

I don't recall ever checking the dimmer with the earlier OEM radio I had. I only changed the radio and AC unit to match the silver buttons with the 04 console.....

I am really surprised that the radio doesn't has variable dimming as all the other switches such as the cruise, rear demister, fog lights etc all vary. As the clock and AC also vary it just seems odd not to do the same with the radio...Any idea why it was left this way

The radio does dim when the lights are sitched on.

Thanks,

Gary