PDA

View Full Version : NSX Big Brake Kit

Yokohama_91
06-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Part of the downside of living in Japan is falling in line with the culture of continiously improving your car and your circuit lap times - it gets expensive - just check out the spec in my virtual garage.

However, I had got to the point where I felt I needed some more stopping power [getting almost impossible to trigger the ant-lock on hot track tyres] and my discs were getting too hot.

A friend recommended Racing Brake www.racingbrake.com (http://www.racingbrake.com) and their Big Brake Kit [BBK] for the NSX, much cheaper than AP Racing and Brembo options, and using the OEM callipers meant that I could use the same pads. NSXPrime also had many reports on the kits.

I had already upgraded my NA1 Coupe to the larger 2002 Type R discs and callipers in 2007 also the NA2 ALB system in 2008, so the RB BBK kits I ordered were;

Front - #2076, 324mm two piece slotted discs with extended calliper brackets

Rear - #2094, as above but with a 330mm disc

Fitting was easy and took about 4 hours, I already had amoured brake lines and these were long enough, so no brake bleeding necessary. The front OEM callipers needed some modification in the form of some grinding of the calliper body as it is a very tight fit between disc [outside edge] and calliper [inside], I also trimmed the outer spring clips.

The results so far are pretty impressive, in conjunction with a Ferodo DS2500 pad I am braking around 25 metres closer [125M] to the first corner at Fuji Speedway from 240 KPH, no overheating and my lap time 2 seconds lower than my previous best - now down to 2m 04.81s - although totally disconnecting the TCS and a new alignment with more negative camber at the front also helped. I could significantly outbrake the Mine's tuned GTR 35 in the first corner and the chicane which was running on the same day.

And they look pretty big and pretty good.

I posted a picture from the RB website but I will get around to uploading some shots of the kit fitted to the car.

Simon

Papalazarou
06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks really good. I'm currently looking for brakes for my car and not sure which to choose. I took a look at the pricing and both those and the SOS ones appear to be around £500 per corner!
I'm sure they're really good, but it just seems like a lot. I guess the exchange rate doesn't help:-(

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
07-03-2009, 11:22 AM
The standard size RB 2 piece discs are very good so I can only start to imagine how good these would be :)

Mine however were bought when they were on special offer via SOS and at a very good exchange rate.

dan the man
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome fella