PDA

View Full Version : time getting near for new rubber

Boomin33
17-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Fronts are pretty shot on the inside and rears are slipping a little.

I seen some really agressive standard rubber on Lotus's on the road..

Would it be silly to go really agressive, like Toyo Proxes or Yoko Adans for an 'only set of wheels'? more dangerous when wet?

What, about £400 more than eagle f1's for the priveledge?

Boomin33
17-03-2009, 09:17 AM
ahh... thinking about Proxes 888's

not

http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/36/37/92ed_1.JPG http://www.mjtires.com/images/TOYO/Proxes%20R888.jpg

tread on the 888's just look too agressive for normal roads?? huh. any real difference in drive, do you think?
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

NSX 2000
17-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Boomin

You need to ask Mo or Kevin, they have both used the R888's.
IIRC Mo had a very intresting drive home once on the R888's when the temp went below 5degs C.

HTH

Paul.

NoelWatson
17-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Boomin,

What have you got on at the moment? I had RE040s on the back and Dunlop SP on the front and replaced with F1s all round. I am not entirely sold yet as I reckon the sidewalls may be a tad on the soft side. It may be worth seeing if you can get the RE050As mentioned on another tyre thread.

Boomin33
17-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Boomin,

What have you got on at the moment? I had RE040s on the back and Dunlop SP on the front and replaced with F1s all round. I am not entirely sold yet as I reckon the sidewalls may be a tad on the soft side. It may be worth seeing if you can get the RE050As mentioned on another tyre thread.

SP's all the way around, I think.

Thanks, recon tires are going to set me back £600 - £900 when all is said and done... so would rather pay a little more and get some tires that I'm 100% :) with.

although probably more comfortable on the road, don't like the sound of soft sidewalls for cornering feel...

TheSebringOne
17-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I got GY F1 GSD3 last year and so far I think the side walls are not as stiff as OEM RE010. I'm waiting to use them more since as the tread wears, the shoulders get broader and cornering improves. Paul(S) has these a while and rates them, so I value his opinion. I think BS generally have some of the stiffest side walls of any tyre manufacturer. Maybe I should have tried RE050, but I will put my trust in GY for now.

Ewan
17-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Rob - I have RE040s on the back, but switched to F1 Eagle (GSD3s) on the front, last year - the different brands did upset the handling a bit... seems to understeer a bit.

I'm almost on the wear bars on the rears now so will switch to GSD3s to see if that balance comes back a bit.

Rob: at Bracknell Tyre & Battery, they fitted GSD3 fronts for £76 each about 4 months ago, and currently quoting £115 for the rears. Seems pretty reasonable to me :)

cheers
Ewan

Ferris Bueller
17-03-2009, 11:46 PM
http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/36/37/92ed_1.JPG

T1R. I use these and find them to be pretty good, if a little lacking in terms of wear rate. Relatively cheap though. Try Camskill for cheap mail order.

Senninha
18-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Yes I do use the F1's, have done for last 15k miles and the rears are nearing the wear bars, fornt still good for another 3-4k I reckon.

NOTE: mine is a targa and IMO the softer sidewalls work well with the softer chassis settings. I also have the chassis bars, Front R anti roll bar and S rear. Some coupe drivers have found the F1's not to their liking and have swapped to a stiffer tyre.

Rob, remember that some of the softer, stickier rubber will need temperature to work properly. If you dont get them warm it could make for some very interesting drives .... then again, we've all seen your track techniques :laugh:;)

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
18-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes I do use the F1's, have done for last 15k miles and the rears are nearing the wear bars, fornt still good for another 3-4k I reckon.

NOTE: mine is a targa and IMO the softer sidewalls work well with the softer chassis settings. I also have the chassis bars, Front R anti roll bar and S rear. Some coupe drivers have found the F1's not to their liking and have swapped to a stiffer tyre.

Rob, remember that some of the softer, stickier rubber will need temperature to work properly. If you dont get them warm it could make for some very interesting drives .... then again, we've all seen your track techniques :laugh:;)

regards, Paul

I think I will get used to the difference, it just requires me to gain confidence that the small yaw as the car settles into the corner will not develop into something more.

I don't know of anyone running RE050A - maybe they are too hard to source?

Boomin33
18-03-2009, 03:52 PM
If you dont get them warm it could make for some very interesting drives .... then again, we've all seen your track techniques :laugh:;)
egards, Paul

you referring to my "drive it like you stole it" attitude on that fine day?

In my defense I may drive Hell for Leather occassionally, but I've always pulled it back and my cars have never left the tarmac.

---

Boomin33
18-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Anytime you guys, Barring Kev and the other apparently "really good driver" here want to book a 'real track day' where we do time trials.

just let me know ;) ... a real mans game. As apposed the bhp bullocks

Would be a shame if we don't do this before we either die, sell our cars, or just get too old drive our cars to their potential.

NoelWatson
18-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Anytime you guys, Barring Kev and the other apparently "really good driver" here want to book a 'real track day' where we do time trials.

Would be a shame if we don't do this before we either die, sell our cars, or just get too old drive our cars to their potential.

Can we use any car?

Boomin33
18-03-2009, 04:23 PM
came back to delete that.. as it was off-topic! too late.

What other car do you have to bring?

NoelWatson
18-03-2009, 04:46 PM
came back to delete that.. as it was off-topic! too late.

What other car do you have to bring?

TBC, but a decent track car such as an R400, countered with my limited skills

goldnsx
18-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't see a big difference between RE050A and F1 GS-D3. The sidewall of the RE050A is stiff, the one of the F1 a tad softer but still stiff and much stiffer than Contis, Michelins, Pirellis... When new the F1 has a tendency to 'swim' a little bit but the offered grip is very, very high and they last very, very long too. Both are great tires for the NSX IMO (The rest is crap except some semitires :)).

TheSebringOne
18-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Goldnsx, I'm glad youv'e experienced both GSD3 & RE050A and confirm there very little difference. At the start I wished I got BS rather than GY. I guess when wear rate increases on the GY, they will come into their own & feel more planted on the road. What models of the Contis, Pirellis & Michelins have you tried, so I can avoid them in the future. Thanks :)

Senninha
18-03-2009, 10:19 PM

What about this as an option?

http://www.palmersport.com/

A variety of machinery that we can drive as hard as we want (or are able)then drive safely home in the NSX's all in good shape ... lets call it a mini meet with a difference :)

Haven't checked prices but I dont reckon there will be much difference to booking a day, fuel, tyres and insurance ... in fact it may be cheaper

ANy fancy a fun day out?

regards, Paul

nsx_vtec
18-03-2009, 10:40 PM
A048 allday long over the R888

however its really a dry / summer tyre does not like cold / standing water.

id try the Hankook RS2, very very gripping along with forgiving the wet. plus its cheap as chips!

NSXGB
18-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Haven't checked prices but I dont reckon there will be much difference to booking a day, fuel, tyres and insurance ... in fact it may be cheaper

ANy fancy a fun day out?

regards, Paul

We have two types of voucher available:

Off peak – valid until 9 April 2009 priced at £647 + VAT
Standard – valid until 31 December 2009 at £762 + VAT

Who is the Les Battersby look-a-like? :)

Senninha
18-03-2009, 10:44 PM
id try the Hankook RS2, very very gripping along with forgiving the wet. plus its cheap as chips!

Interesting ... I've just switched from Crapinentals to Hankooks on my daily and am very pleased wit them. Running the EVo's

Might look into a set if they offer them in a matched 17/18 combo

regards,

TheQuietOne
18-03-2009, 10:52 PM

A variety of machinery that we can drive as hard as we want (or are able)then drive safely home in the NSX's all in good shape ... lets call it a mini meet with a difference :)

ANy fancy a fun day out?

regards, Paul

I might have misread this but it appears to be £642 off peak!!! :eek:

markc
18-03-2009, 11:07 PM

I'd much rather do it in my own car especially at that price :eek:

Get down there in your NSX's and give them a good old pasteing. You'll get to know the car much better and they'll love you for it :)

Mark

Senninha
19-03-2009, 08:37 AM

That sounds about right ... if you drive your NSX without track cover then this will sound a lot compared to an Evo event at the same venue for around £200.

I should of said in the original post .... this idea was in response to the 'lets go timetrial' driver challenge .... so the point was this; would you really push the best time you could out of your P&J that cannot be replaced if you got it wrong ... or would you rather use someone else's machinery that has new tyres almost weekly, suspension tuned to the track and etc. You could drive it like you stle if you wished, then drive home relaxed in your NSX.

Last years dozen or so laps at Mattfest took the edges of the tyres and that was at 8/10's.

(Maybe worth moving some of these to a new thread?)

regards, Paul

goldnsx
19-03-2009, 09:03 AM
What models of the Contis, Pirellis & Michelins have you tried, so I can avoid them in the future. Thanks :)

I didn't have the tires mounted on the car actually except for a Michelin sportmodel one time which was very long lasting but had soft sidewalls. From my experiences with tires on the S2000 in the past which is even more important to have the right tires in the rear than in the NSX I avoid tires with soft sidewalls consequently. So about one year back I went to the tire dealer to 'test by hand' which tires have soft and which have stiff sidewalls.
On the soft side were Michelin PS2, Conti Sportcontact, a Pirelli sportier model I don't recall. The only one that was nearly as stiff as the GY or BS was the Dunlop SportMaxx as I recall.
That's when I decided to only go with GY or BS in the future. Having driven both on the NSX they are perfect tires for the NSX. The GY has a little advantage over the BS concerning tire wear and rain capabilities. BUT for dry conditions the fun with the GY begins below 6 mm of profile depth. :)

Senninha
19-03-2009, 09:35 AM
BUT for dry conditions the fun with the GY begins below 6 mm of profile depth. :)

This is so true ... the way they wear means they are actually putting more rubber on the road :D

NoelWatson
19-03-2009, 09:52 AM
This is so true ... the way they wear means they are actually putting more rubber on the road :D

I will attempt this excuse when I am apprehended by the rozzers tonight for doing donuts in a public space in an attempt to wear down the rears.

NoelWatson
19-03-2009, 09:53 AM

ANy fancy a fun day out?

regards, Paul

Yes (+1 other)

markc
19-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I should of said in the original post .... this idea was in response to the 'lets go timetrial' driver challenge .... so the point was this; would you really push the best time you could out of your P&J that cannot be replaced if you got it wrong ... or would you rather use someone else's machinery that has new tyres almost weekly, suspension tuned to the track and etc.

(Maybe worth moving some of these to a new thread?)

regards, Paul

How about an nsxcb karting event then? Great fun and much more affordable :)

Daytona have some excellent new kit this year... http://www.daytona.co.uk/events/daytona_max.html

As you say we're way off topic now and should maybe start a new, maybe in 2009 events, thread.

Cheers

Mark

Kevin
19-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Ha ha, bring it on.

A few years ago I joined the MSA, got my racing pack, kit etc to go sprinting. It's the only motorsport you can do in a completely standard car, ie you need no roll cage. The sprint events are cheap, and you mix with real motorsports enthusiasts, not the 'tuner boy brigade'. I was thinking back then to start an NSX sprint challenge which we could run inside the main championship.

If we got serious we could even get the NSXCB to become a MSA club, and run our own series!

Sprinting, for those that don't know, is like doing one lap of a track, on your own. Usually the tracks are airfields.

Senninha
19-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Open a new thread and tell us more please ....

Ha ha, bring it on.

A few years ago I joined the MSA, got my racing pack, kit etc to go sprinting. It's the only motorsport you can do in a completely standard car, ie you need no roll cage. The sprint events are cheap, and you mix with real motorsports enthusiasts, not the 'tuner boy brigade'. I was thinking back then to start an NSX sprint challenge which we could run inside the main championship.

If we got serious we could even get the NSXCB to become a MSA club, and run our own series!

Sprinting, for those that don't know, is like doing one lap of a track, on your own. Usually the tracks are airfields.

TheSebringOne
20-03-2009, 02:02 AM
TCS off too!? I thought of doing this too as I'm very impatient with the slow wear rate too with the GY! :(

Silver Surfer
20-03-2009, 08:22 AM
TCS off too!? I thought of doing this too as I'm very impatient with the slow wear rate too with the GY! :(

TCS off is not going to help to increase the wear rate if the wheel is not rotating and will not be activated when stationary in your garage. ;)

SS

TheSebringOne
20-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Kare, My reputation precedes me! :laugh:

On a serious note I have been tempted to go to Tesco's carpark at night just to do that, but then theres the CCTV & then a visit from the bill to contend with! :(

Senninha
20-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi Rob,

Have a look at these, now OEM for a number of manufacturers including Audi

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&Cookie=froogle&details=Ordern&typ=R-153901&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

I was talking to my tyre guy today as I need tyres for my daily use and have been using these on the Merc. Appears they are now available in OEM NSX sizes for @ £80 fronts and £150 rears.

I have been very pleased with these. They offer very good wet weather grip, have stiff sidewalls and in the recent dry weather have proved both quiet and informative.

Maybe worth a try? I'll be geting some for the new rims in a few weeks

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
21-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I never knew Hankook made tyres suitable for the NSX. I found this tyre test & the S2 is the closest comparison to our cars. HTH

http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/hankook/ventus_v12_evo/index.html