PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt service

richmills
09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi All

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but all the talk of timing belts and water pumps going on at the moment has made me realise I'm not 100% sure what the service interval is for the belts and pump.

I've got a feeling that my 2003 is probably due the big one at it's next service, but can someone confirm what the age/mileage interval is for the face lift cars?

Cheers, Rich.

NSXGB
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
You'll probably get a few slightly different responses as most dealers don't seen to give the same answer.
I have always worked on 6 years or 60k which ever comes first. Some may say 5 years.
I would get yours done at the next service. I'd also consider buying the SOS shield and or a new harmonic balancer and water pump just to be 100% sure.

My 0.02.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
.... but can someone confirm what the age/mileage interval is for the face lift cars?
Cheers, Rich.

Hi, Rich.
Not sure whether this is the same for UK/EU models or not but normally you can find the maintenace schedule within the NSX Service booklet that comes with any new cars.

If you don't have one, followings are the information for JDM and Acura. I think EU models are similar to the Acura maintenance interval but I'm quite sure someone here can check their booklet for us...

JDM: Every 100,000km

Acura 91-96 model:
Every 90,000miles or 6yrs under Normal driving conditions.
For Severe conditions, every 60,000miles.
Severe Driving Conditions:
Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip.
Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions.
Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving.
Trailer towing, driving with a car-top carrier, or driving in mountainous conditions.
Driving on muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads.

Acura 97+ model:
Every 105,000miles or 7yrs under Normal & Severe driving conditions.
However, every 60,000 miles if the vehicle is regularly driven in one or more of these conditions:
• In very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C).
• In very low temperatures (under - 20°F, - 29°C)

Please note that Acura-Canadian model tends to follow the maintenance interval for severe one even for normal usage, if I remember correctly.

Hope this will provide you with some idea.

Regards,
Kaz

richmills
14-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but all the talk of timing belts and water pumps going on at the moment has made me realise I'm not 100% sure what the service interval is for the belts and pump.

I've got a feeling that my 2003 is probably due the big one at it's next service, but can someone confirm what the age/mileage interval is for the face lift cars?

Well to answer my own post, I just spoke to Norton Way Honda about this and they assure me that the belts and pump service for my 2003 isn't due until 8 years or 72000 miles.

That seems longer than I was expecting, but I guess they're the experts...

Cheers, Rich.

amo
14-04-2009, 08:46 AM
sure it depends how long ago has it been done before
if you dont know and your thinkin mmmmmmmmm should it id get it done

thx amo

richmills
14-04-2009, 08:51 AM
sure it depends how long ago has it been done before
if you dont know and your thinkin mmmmmmmmm should it id get it done

Well, as a 53 reg' I would assume it's still on the original belt and pump.

Cheers, Rich.

howellr
14-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Hello Rich,

I had my cambelt service done by Norton Way at 8 years and mine is a Nov 2000.

My handbook and service book is for an earlier model so it was a bit confusing but Norton confirmed the correct schedule.

Rod

AR
14-04-2009, 01:56 PM
IMHO 8 years is way too long mate as for the 53 I would do it just for piece of mind, get the valve clearnces done, water pump, cam plugs, have them have a look at the oil cooler, etc.

Papalazarou
14-04-2009, 04:50 PM
This topic's come up a lot over the last few years. Perhaps it should be in an FAQ somewhere?

As a couple of people pointed out, later 02+ cars are definately 8 years or 72K.

I had the water pump done on my 96 car at just under 60K for two reasons; 1. it's only another 30-40 minutes of labour if they're doing the cambelt and 2. If I didn't get it done then, it might do another 60K on the original pump. The frustrating thing is that the one they took off was perfect! personally I wouldn't do it until the cambelt service.

Obviously buy the water pump from the states as the UK one was £400 the last time I enquired.

Ary, with regard to valve cleanrances; Ian (SILVERBULLET) and I had ours done on the 54K service (6 years) and they were fine. I think both our cars were in the mid to late 30's then.

Cheers,

James.

AR
14-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Well my manual says 60 months or 60K miles whichever comes first.

The extended service is no more than Honda trying to conform with US Regulations BS and marketing hype.

Papalazarou
14-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Well my manual says 60 months or 60K miles whichever comes first.

The extended service is no more than Honda trying to conform with US Regulations BS and marketing hype.

It's definately got more stretched out. I always changed the oil at 4.5k instead of the recommended 9k. On my 96 car I'd wait for the 6k service.
I wonder whether Honda would pay if the cambelt snapped on a UK car with full history?

Cheers,

James.

Ewan
14-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Here's the 02-03 service intervals from the service manual - 5214

My (03) service booklet says 7 years, yet the owners manual says 5 years if in Australia or NZ...

AR
14-04-2009, 07:02 PM
It's definately got more stretched out. I always changed the oil at 4.5k instead of the recommended 9k. On my 96 car I'd wait for the 6k service.
I wonder whether Honda would pay if the cambelt snapped on a UK car with full history?

Cheers,

James.

They would more than likely find some loophole, they are good at that!!! ( diffuser style loop hole LOL )

NSX 2000
14-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Cheers,

James.

Here's the 02-03 service intervals from the service manual - 5214

My (03) service booklet says 7 years, yet the owners manual says 5 years if in Australia or NZ...

They would more than likely find some loophole, they are good at that!!! ( diffuser style loop hole LOL )

I looked into this in some depth on W2 [2000 my NSX] as the change from 6 to 8 years for the cambelt change was about 1998/1999. I asked the question of both Cheswick and Honda UK if they would pay up if any thing went wrong and both replied as long as it had been serviced in accordance with the service manual then yes, but as they have not had any go wrong then they did not see it as a porblem.

When I looked into this in 2006 only the first of the 8year cambelt change cars were due, plus if you look at the numbers the 8 year cambelt change only applies to about 100 cars, if that.