PDA

View Full Version : Air Con? Year/model specific?

Minch
12-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Hi guys,

I'm getting quite a few offers from NSX Prime after posting a WANTED post for an A/C compressor. One this I thought someone might be able to answer is whether this part is either year or model specific?

If anyone can confirm this either way it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

simonprelude
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes they are, didn't Luke have a wrong one. He might have sold it now but might have made a note of part numbers ?

Minch
12-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Simon,

Yes it was Luke who warned me. I need to figure out which year/model etc it changed. I'd rather buy the latest one I can as its not so much the use which I think is the problem but rather the material age of the components!

Thanks for the post!
Nathan

mart155
12-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Minch,
I replaced my compressor in December with one from a Porsch 993 Turbo 4 that I got from Gary.
The clutch assembly and manifold were different so I reused my old originals but the Denso compressor was identical with a part number of 10PC15A. (same as the NSX)

The added bonus was that my old one was for the old R12 gas but the one I replaced it with was specifically stamped as R134.

I also got a new receiver/dryer from ebay and had that installed at the same time as I understand this is recommended.

You will also need some o rings but they are cheap enough.
Good luck.

Minch
12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Oooooh . . . now thats a handy tip!

Whats the difference between the R12 and the R134 gas then?

mart155
12-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Apart from the fact that R12 is illegal now, I am not certain of the technical differences.
I do know that R134a uses a different oil for lubrication of the compressor and they don't really get on well together.

The R12 systems use mineral oil while the R134a systems use PAG oil which is synthetic.

Hagasan
12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Apart from the fact that R12 is illegal now, I am not certain of the technical differences.
I do know that R134a uses a different oil for lubrication of the compressor and they don't really get on well together.

The R12 systems use mineral oil while the R134a systems use PAG oil which is synthetic.

If anyone is still running R12 and needs a top up I can do....I still have some. It's not strictly illegal. It's only that it's not to be sold commercially and not to be released to air....It is still used in numerous military and civilian applications.....

As Martin advised, the NSX compressor is a Denso unit fitted to many cars. If your clutch unit is still serviceable then a "non-NSX" source compressor may be cheaper to source and then you just swap over your pulley/clutch assembly.

Gary

Lankstarr
13-04-2009, 06:36 AM
The compressor is used on integras as well as many other cars. I sourced an NSX compressor and pulley assembly (pulley also referred to as a clutch assembly) and it was the wrong one for my car.

I'm pretty sure they changed the pulleys over from 1998 - the one I had was a 1997 pulley but it didn;t fit and must have been from a 3.0 1997 car in the US.

If you've got a 3.0 then you eed the early pulley... if your pulley turn smoothly on your current compressor then it should be fine to reuse - sticking your arm into your engine bay and wiggling it around a bit should confirm (your pulley, not just your arm).

The pulley I have spare is said to have only covered 11000 miles... from the state the compressor was in (i.e. it looked brand new) I have no reason to not believe this.

Pulley available for £60 plus shipping if anyone wants it.

Thanks,

Luke

Minch
13-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Cheers Luke, I may well take you up on your offer. I need to dig the "box of bits" out of the garage which includes the air con compressor which was off the car when I bought it. That way I can see the state of the parts. I dare say just a complete replacment will be required.

I'm going to need a new receiver/dryer also. If this is replaced then can it be filled with R134? Or do you need other components to be able to use this?