PDA

View Full Version : Upholsterers?

Minch
16-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I've given up trying to buy a pair of later perforated leather OEM seats for the NSX.

Has anyone had any experience of getting the seats re-upholstered? I'm aware of the leatherseats.com covers, which can look a bit rubbish if DIY'd, but would appreciate thoughts on whether its just best to leave it to an upholsterer to buy in the leather and do the job from scratch.

Any experiences good or bad . . . recommendations?

Lankstarr
16-04-2009, 03:05 PM
The centre parts of the seats in S5 have been recovered in red alcantara. I personally think it looks great - a type S touch on OEM seats. The recovered the head rests as well and had NSX embossed into the headrests - nice touch.

The leather seats method works too but I didn't get to see them in the flesh. I'm sure you'd get a good job for £500 if you supplied some nice leather. Might as well get the dash and roof lining done at the same time ;)

L*

AR
16-04-2009, 03:09 PM
For the price leatherseats is hard to beat. I purchased a set from James that he had recovered and they were superb. I would say that teh doorcards will need to be done too to get the matching look.

Cheers,

AR

mutley
16-04-2009, 03:33 PM
For the price leatherseats is hard to beat. I purchased a set from James that he had recovered and they were superb. I would say that teh doorcards will need to be done too to get the matching look.

Cheers,

AR

I have door cards mastered!!! (if you want them done)

Jim

AR
16-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I have door cards mastered!!! (if you want them done)

Jim

Thanks mate I know you are good at that!

I have since sold the whole lot and replaced it with Recar Pole Positions.

Cheers,

AR

Minch
16-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Do leatherseats.com supply door card covers too?

Looking at all the options, as you say, the leatherseats.com is going to be by far the cheapest solution but I'm concerned that if I then want to spend more dough on getting other leather elements changed (thanks Luke for tempting ideas!) then I will struggle to match the seats.

I have a good upholsterer down the road from me who has done great work in the past for my kitchen clients when they have needed furniture recovered. Not so sure I want him testing his skills on the seats if he has done them before. Has anyone used a company/tradesman they are happy with to do this work?

AR
16-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Do leatherseats.com supply door card covers too?

They supply the leather and is quite easy to do. I reseated the ones that James had sold me. All it takes is some care and some spray adhesive.

Cheers,

AR

DAVEMAT
16-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Minch, email sent

Senninha
16-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Nathan,

Give Plans a call and get the number of the upholsterer in the next unit to them. I cant find his number right now but he's a reakky nice guy who does a lot of classic retrims for 355 the paint shop.

When I met him he was doing a 328, a boxster and a classic Jag. I think you might be surprised at the price for a full retrim. From what I saw, the workmanship is very good indeed!

HTH

Paul

Minch
17-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Yes I dare say both him and the price are slightly out of my league if they work with 355! Could be worth an ask though.

I had an email back from leatherseats.com and they will supply extra leather for other area of the car so if I go for it I will make sure I have enough. Might wait for the exchange rate to get a little better . . . what happened to 2 USD to my 1 (superior) GBP? 1.4!!!! How rubbish.

Senninha
17-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes I dare say both him and the price are slightly out of my league if they work with 355! Could be worth an ask though.

Go ask the question ... I think he offers great value and quality ...

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Probably a daft question but has anyone ever asked how much the inserts are from Honda?

I believe you can even buy the door insert panels from them too if you are too lazy to do it yourself :rolleyes:....I'm sure I remember seeing the part numbers in the catalogue.

I'm sure you could just buy the centre parts of the seats from leatherseats.com too if your bolsters are ok?

mutley
17-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Probably a daft question but has anyone ever asked how much the inserts are from Honda?

I believe you can even buy the door insert panels from them too if you are too lazy to do it yourself :rolleyes:....I'm sure I remember seeing the part numbers in the catalogue.

I'm sure you could just buy the centre parts of the seats from leatherseats.com too if your bolsters are ok?

My problem is the other way round, the seat bolsters on my drivers side are pretty bad, but the rest is ok.

Jim

AR
17-04-2009, 12:16 PM
what happened to 2 USD to my 1 (superior) GBP? 1.4!!!! How rubbish.

Not very good for getting bits from America or Canada for that matter. :)

NSXGB
17-04-2009, 12:20 PM
My problem is the other way round, the seat bolsters on my drivers side are pretty bad, but the rest is ok.

Jim

Get together with Minch and buy one full set then...:)

mutley
17-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Get together with Minch and buy one full set then...:)

That is probably not a bad idea!

Cheers
Jim

Minch
17-04-2009, 05:37 PM
No afraid not . . . my bolster if f**ked, hence this thread.