PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builders

Minch
23-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Guys,

I've been in touch with the chaps at SoS to find out how to buy all the componenets necessary for the 3.3L conversion (would love 3.8L but think it would be a little too pricey). Has anyone got names/contacts/recommendations for engine builders? I've trwled the internet and come up with a few but I'd appreciate any tips.

Before anyone suggests it I have considered TDI but I think they are too tied in with TODA (mega £££££'s). I'd sooner buy the parts from SoS.

Thanks
Nathan

amo
23-04-2009, 10:39 PM
why not ship your engine to sos get it done and bring it back

thx amo

Minch
23-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I think the shipping would be horrendous plus I dare say it needs to be run in properly afterwards with support if anything wasn't 100%. Bearing in mind that apart from the fact that they (SoS) are used to dealing with the NSX most of the worlds motorsport brains are in Oxford so I would hope I can find someone here in the UK . . . as you said Amo, an engine is just an engine.

amo
23-04-2009, 11:06 PM
well i pick my car up tomorrow
and leave my engine to be done with hyeline and yes engine is just an engine
ok the vtec but so has a civic type r and loads of ppl work on them

if not to ship the engine over then pop over cheaper and no customs mmmmmmm lol

thx amo

NSX 2000
24-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Has anyone got names/contacts/recommendations for engine builders? I've trwled the internet and come up with a few but I'd appreciate any tips.
Thanks
Nathan

Hi Nathan

I would recommend Plans motor sport near Guilford surrey, They are not cheap but they do look after a few NSX's including a race one which they have rebuilt from the ground up.

If I was looking for some one I might be tempted to take a drive around Silverstone circuit and the industrial estates near by as you may just stumble on a garage that suits your needs.

You could also ask Norton Way Honda if they would be willing to have ago. The mechanics there are very good and I'm sure they would jump at the chance to do something differant. Plus I'm sure they would not charge main dealer hourly rates to do a job like this.

HTH

Paul

Minch
24-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm . . . thats the issue . . . I can't imagine Norton Way would kindly drop the Honda NSX hourly price . . . although I might be wrong.

I used Plans for all of the other work on the car but I think they recommend using Minister for the engines or Scholar. I contacted Minister but they said they weren't interested.

I'm persuing a few other avenues including CPL in Kent and Pride Race Engineering in Kiddeminster.

If you really think Norton Way would be interested and you have a contact there it might be worth a phone call.

AR
24-04-2009, 11:56 AM
How about buying a car in the US getting the work done, importing it and then putting the standard engine and box and selling it to Europe as they are alaways in demand???

forumadmin
24-04-2009, 12:22 PM
An engine is just an engine. The only thing to know is the clearances and stuff that are particular to the C30. Nothing complex about having VTEC.

I am looking to do the same things, perhaps. I would strip my own engine down, take the block to a machine shop for boring and lining. They can also then measure the pistons and hone and record which piston should go into which cylinder. Putting the crank and pistons back in the block is something that is possible at home. Then the heads need stripping and new valve seats ground if going for bigger valves. Again any machine shop can do this. Then it's just a case of putting the valves and camshafts in.

Try Clockwise Motion (or something like that) they do Honda engines exclusively.

ps I've already bought three books on race engine building. Maybe you should too, just know what's involved and what questions to ask.

Minch
24-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Kevin,

Cool, found Clockwise Motion. I will contact them.

What books have you bought as I would be very interested to have a read.

On the mechanical side I would rather an engine shop did the whole thing as I know what would happen if I started to do the work myself . . . . I'd get bored and buy a different car :)

Martin
24-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Guys,

I've been in touch with the chaps at SoS to find out how to buy all the componenets necessary for the 3.3L conversion (would love 3.8L but think it would be a little too pricey). Has anyone got names/contacts/recommendations for engine builders? I've trwled the internet and come up with a few but I'd appreciate any tips.

Before anyone suggests it I have considered TDI but I think they are too tied in with TODA (mega £££££'s). I'd sooner buy the parts from SoS.

Thanks
Nathan

Hi Nathan

You have pm

Martin

Carl-1969
24-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm persuing a few other avenues including CPL in Kent and Pride Race Engineering in Kiddeminster.

Avoid CPL like the plague - I would love to explain in detail why I say this but my keyboard may well explode!!! :eek::laugh:

I am involved with the TRO (http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/index.php) site and CPL have been responsible for so many unhappy customers.

I accept that they will have some good results but overall I would advise against parting with my hard earned in that direction.

Carl.

Minch
24-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks Martin, I've PM'd back.

Carl, thanks for the note of warning. I had a really good chat from Ian at Clockwork Motion. I think I will go up to see them as soon as I have a spare day. He thought it might be a slight issue on the 4 axis CNC he has but said he would check it out. I think they concentrate on 4 cylinder models and not V6, hence the possible issue. He mentioned that they would need to set up a new ring to bore the cylinder etc.

NSXGB
25-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Martin, I've PM'd back.

Carl, thanks for the note of warning. I had a really good chat from Ian at Clockwork Motion. I think I will go up to see them as soon as I have a spare day. He thought it might be a slight issue on the 4 axis CNC he has but said he would check it out. I think they concentrate on 4 cylinder models and not V6, hence the possible issue. He mentioned that they would need to set up a new ring to bore the cylinder etc.

Would that matter if they are boring the liners, which (I'm guessing) would be taken out of the block to be machined?

Minch
25-04-2009, 11:51 AM
New Darton liners apparently . . .

forumadmin
25-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Kevin,

What books have you bought as I would be very interested to have a read.

I just search through Amazon, for engine building, race engine building. The hardest part is finding books that are modern and don't just deal with american V8s, which all mine do. All the principles are the same though, when it comes to honing cylinders, lining, piston fitting etc.

NSX 2000
25-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Hmmmm . . . thats the issue . . . I can't imagine Norton Way would kindly drop the Honda NSX hourly price . . . although I might be wrong.
If you really think Norton Way would be interested and you have a contact there it might be worth a phone call.

Servivce Advisor at Norton Way, Russell Albon 0845 3389718

Paul.