PDA

View Full Version : It was 15 years ago today

Ewan
01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Sportsmen killed pursuing their passion

http://estb.msn.com/i/D3/D7D06F4419536B80E5CB1C3EBAF48.jpg
On May 1 1994, Formula One icon Ayrton Senna died after crashing during the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola. Brazilian race ace Senna’s Williams FW16 car was travelling at 192mph when it ran wide at the Tamburello curve and crashed into a concrete wall. He was just 34 years old.

Senna was a three-time world drivers champion and had won a total of 41 grands prix during his Formula One career. His daring and aggressive driving style earned him acclaim from fans all over the world.

Senna’s body was flown home to Brazil four days after the crash. He was given a state funeral in Sao Paolo which was attended by more than half a million mourners.

What is often forgotten about the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix is that the race meeting claimed the life of another driver, the lesser-known Austrian racer Roland Ratzenberger, who crashed at the Tamburello curve in race qualifying.

The deaths of Senna and Ratzenberger were a watershed moment in Formula One. Over subsequent years, driver safety was rightly made the sport’s top priority with improvements made to both the cars and the courses.

Senna and Ratzenberger aren’t the only sportsmen who died pursuing their passion. MSN News pays tribute to eight sportsmen whose lives were cut short competing in the sports they loved (http://news.uk.msn.com/in-pictures/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=16444752&imageindex=1).

AR
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
May he rest in piece. Sadly i think that just like JFK and others, we will never know what really happened!

Senninha
01-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the memory.

Like many I watched the events of that trajic weekend and it will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Roland was only in his 3rd F1 start and was also 34 yrs of age. In early qualifying I believe his car had suffered a front wing failure. In saturday qualifying he suffered another failure at the Villeneuve kink which sent him headlong into the barrier that killed him instantly.

Additional events included Rubens (now at BrawnGP) launching his car high into the catch fencing and the startline incident that threw a wheel into the grandstand injuring several spectators. Some still believe the start line incident contributed to the 'odd' behaviour of Ayrton's car moments before the accident.

If you visit Imola there are official memories for both drivers. Ayrton's is on the main grandstand and Roland's is on the outside of the stand at Villeneuve. In addition there are many personal tributes to Ayrton on the outside of the original Tamburello as well as the bronze stature in the park.

I'm sure I read once that within the wreckage of Ayrton's Williams, they found an Austrian flag he was carrying in memory of Roland.

RIP and may we never see another loss.

regards, Paul

Ewan
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
It's worth (re-)watching the 1995 documentary into Senna's career, now online at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3605323.stm

The laughing at Brundle, Jordan etc's barnets/specs soon subsides to reliving the stories that made Senna such a legend.

eg. The first time he ever drove a F1 car, he was doing a test for Williams. Within 11 laps, he was equalling the times set by their own drivers, who'd done hundreds of hours in the car. By lap 23 he was >1 sec quicker, so stopped and said "that'll do for now".

TheSebringOne
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I remember that fatefull day very well, I was at a car auction with my motor trader friend in Brighouse. I could not believe it until I got home & watched it on TV :(

Strangely I only just finish reading the book " The life of Senna " a few weeks ago.

jbracefan1977
13-06-2009, 06:25 AM
It's worth (re-)watching the 1995 documentary into Senna's career, now online at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3605323.stm

The laughing at Brundle, Jordan etc's barnets/specs soon subsides to reliving the stories that made Senna such a legend.

eg. The first time he ever drove a F1 car, he was doing a test for Williams. Within 11 laps, he was equalling the times set by their own drivers, who'd done hundreds of hours in the car. By lap 23 he was >1 sec quicker, so stopped and said "that'll do for now".

thanks for the link.