PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt insurance ....

Senninha
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
What do people think about this ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121598

Having read and watched what happened to Martin here http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6181 I'm wondering if theres enough interest whether to ask Dave for a UK GB?

Interested to know what people think.

I believe a few have bought from Dave before without issues.

regards, Paul

NSXGB
04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Would be interested.

AR
04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Great idea Paul! I would also be interested in the GB.

Lankstarr
04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Count me in... seems like you'd me mad to miss out on this!

mutley
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I think i would also jump in on this, sounds like a good idea, especially us with older cars.

Jim

Silver Surfer
04-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I'll be interested in this.

SS

Senninha
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Guys,

Given how much interest already I have asked the question based on a commitment of 10 sets. I'll let you know what Dave says, but in the meantime, lets prep the list ...

1. Senninha
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer

Thanks Guys

Ewan
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Put me down for one, please...

eclipse1501
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
SoS have done these for a while too $100
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/

Sudesh
05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Can someone please explain the steps to fitting this device?

I read the other topics but looking for a simple explanation lol

i.e:

1. Do you have to remove the belts?
2. You need the special tool?
3. Remove hex bolt
4. Remove pully?
5........etc etc etc

Minch
05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Count me in please Paul

Papalazarou
05-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Sounds good!

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Updated ...

1. Senninha
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou

Sudesh,

I'll ask Dave the process required for install as well as what other components he offers. Will update soon

regards, Paul

lotusolly
05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
count me in to please. Whats the difference with the light weight one and does it put effect the engine in the same way the flywheel weight does?

Olly

NSXGB
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
count me in to please. Whats the difference with the light weight one and does it put effect the engine in the same way the flywheel weight does?

Olly

This product has no rotational mass, it's just a guard that goes between the Harmonic balancer and the timing belt cover. In the event of the HB breaking up it will stop it chewing up the timing belt cover then throwing bits of itself between your Crank pulley and timing belt and knocking the cam timing out or worse....as I understand it.

HTH.

PeteM
05-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Guys a point to note is that if you are removing the harmonic balancer pully to fit one of these guards you might as well replace the pully while you are in there doing the job, or at least coincide it with your next cambelt change.

Just a thought.

For comparrison, I replaced my harmonic balancer pully last year along with the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. I did it for peace of mind as there was no previous record of the pully being replaced and the car is a 91 and had done 103,000 miles at that point. On inspection after removal there were no indications of rubber separation.

Cheers Pete.

NSXGB
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Guys a point to note is that if you are removing the harmonic balancer pully to fit one of these guards you might as well replace the pully while you are in there doing the job, or at least coincide it with your next cambelt change.

Just a thought.

For comparrison, I replaced my harmonic balancer pully last year along with the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. I did it for peace of mind as there was no previous record of the pully being replaced and the car is a 91 and had done 103,000 miles at that point. On inspection after removal there were no indications of rubber separation.

Cheers Pete.

I totally agree with what you are saying Pete, maybe we are over reacting to Martins bad luck, but I was under the impression that there have been a few instances with later cars with circa 20k which have had failures so for the money it would be worth the punt?

Senninha
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Updated ...

1. Senninha
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou
10. Lotusolly

In response to earlier questions, I have the following response

The only special tool is the holder for crank pulley. Check out the manual.

Anyone with more tech knowledge than me wish to offer some guidance to what is involved to install, tools and the merits of doing other work at the same time please.

regards, Paul

PeteM
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Yep It's deffinatly worth a punt.

I don't think it's an over reaction by people and I don't know if Martin could say when or even if his pulley was ever replaced.

For peace of mind $85 is far better than $8500 and you can't argue with that, but in comparrison other things could also ruin your day like the cam belt tensioner pully seizing and causing belt failure, not that I am trying to alarm people.

With all the best prevention and planning in the world sometimes Sh1t just happens !

Cheers Pete.

Senninha
06-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Update from Dave ...

Paul,
That's great! I will pick up the shipping at $80 for 10 shields.

If you can do 15, I will still do the shipping, but price will drop to $78 each.

Here are some other offer while you are shopping things around:
Short Shift kit, the one SOS sells @ $60, I can do those at $50 each if you can get together a sale of 10 of those.

CT True Tension super charger belt tensioner, the one SOS sells @ $90, $70 if you can get together a sale of 5 of those. I don't know how many CTSC are in the UK?

Thanks again!

Dave

Apart from Mo I dont know of any other SC's in the UK.

Short shift anyone? Its not for me but let me know.

As we've hit 10 in just a few days I'll let this run till the weekend and then if all arer good to go I'll confiirm order with Dave.

regards, Paul

Sudesh
06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Short shift anyone? Its not for me but let me know.

Paul does the Short Shift work for RHD cars?

SOS say there short shift kit will only work on LHD cars?

Senninha
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Paul does the Short Shift work for RHD cars?

SOS say there short shift kit will only work on LHD cars?

Sudesh,

I'd guess this will be LHD thinking about it. You may want to check with Dave directly on Prime. User name is TitaniumDave.

regards, Paul

NSXGB
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a 'Dave's Short Shifter' in mine, so they work on RHD.

Sudesh
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I have a 'Dave's Short Shifter' in mine, so they work on RHD.

Have you!!

How do you find the gear change? is it much shorter?

NSXGB
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Have you!!

How do you find the gear change? is it much shorter?

It is, but I also have a shorter Gruppe N gear knob which sits lower so I couldn't measure by how much it would be just for the shifter alone...

mart155
09-05-2009, 10:44 AM
It is definately worth it.
I was very lucky that I didn't do a lot of damage to my engine.

Even as it was, the bill was £1350 and I haven't sorted my O2 sensor yet which didn't have a problem until the pulley failure.

Senninha
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok Gents,

I need to give Dave final numbers this week to close this GB.

As I have it at present, the GB list is

1. Senninha
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou
10. Lotusolly

Any more interested please confirm by CoP Wednesday 13th May.

Thanx, Paul

mart155
11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Paul,
The Timing Belt cover and Water Pump used to be seperate but are all one unit now (according to Norton Way).

Do you know if this will fit both types?

Cheers
Martin.

Senninha
18-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Gents,

Can someone else pick this up and liaise with Dave please? A project has come up at work and I simply wont have time to co-ordinate this for you. Better to hand over the reins than mess you about. Hope you understand.

Latest from Dave ....

Paul,
Wednesday close sounds like a good idea. Please confirm total on Thursday.

PayPal is good for payment, use 'titaniumdave@msn.com'

The whole box of parts should ship the 26th or 27th. We loose a few days for the holiday.

Thanks again,
Dave

I'm off the list so this leaves 1 to fill for the special GB price of $80 each inc shipping.

Whoever picks this up, could you kindly let Dave know ASAP.

Many thanx and good luck

regards, Paul

Ok Gents,

I need to give Dave final numbers this week to close this GB.

As I have it at present, the GB list is

1. SPARE
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou
10. Lotusolly

Any more interested please confirm by CoP Wednesday 13th May.

Thanx, Paul

NSXGB
19-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Usually I would but I'm on holiday from the end of this month for two weeks.....sorry.

Senninha
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Gents,

If someone wants to pick this up, please contact titaniumdave over on NSXPrime.com

Several users here have bought previously so no fear of a D*** incident.

Regards, Paul

Titaniumdave
02-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Hello,
Paul e-mailed me stating he won't be able to complete the GB he has been working on. My offer is to sell a minimum of 10 shields at $80US to Paul, if I can ship them all to a single location.

Please let me know if some one will head up distribution of the shipment in the UK and deal with a single PayPal payment to make this happen.

We can also do a batch of short shifter in the same shipment if there is interest.

Please be in touch.

Dave

mutley
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
HI,
Will the short sift work with RHD cars? and how much for those too.

I'm in the process of moving, but once I'm settled in, I may be able to run with the GB.

Cheers
Jim

Titaniumdave
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
HI,
Will the short sift work with RHD cars? and how much for those too.

I'm in the process of moving, but once I'm settled in, I may be able to run with the GB.

Cheers
Jim
Jim,
The Short Shift kit fits on all cars I have tried kit on with the exception of the Type-R shifter. The Type-R shifter is thicker at the bottom by about 1 MM and the adapter does not quite fit with out a little shaving of either the adapter or the shifter stalk. Kit is regular $60US, if you want to run a GB I can do a batch of 10(min) of them for $50US.

LMK,
Dave

Titaniumdave
07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Hello again,
I have the batch of 10 timing belt shields ready to ship if someone in the UK wants to pick up the ball here. All I need is one shipping address and payment to get this going and I will pick up the international shipping.

Please contact me at: titaniumdave@msn.com if you can help make this happen.

Thanks again,
Dave

mutley
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello again,
I have the batch of 10 timing belt shields ready to ship if someone in the UK wants to pick up the ball here. All I need is one shipping address and payment to get this going and I will pick up the international shipping.

Please contact me at: titaniumdave@msn.com if you can help make this happen.

Thanks again,
Dave

HI Dave,
As I mentioned in previous thread, i'll be moving at the end of this week, so If you can give me a few days to speak to the other interested members, then this will be a go.
PS, good price on teh short shifter, hope to get more interest as I want one!.

Jim

mutley
07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
1. Senninha
2. NSXGB
3. AR
4. Lankstarr
5. Mutley
6. Silver Surfer
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou
10. Lotusolly

Can everyone on this list please PM me asap and I'll get the ball rolling (and if you have interest in the short shifter kit too let me know)
Jim

mutley
09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm moving to new house today, and BT will be there tomorrow to charge me a fortune to flick a switch, so I may be off line a few days, untill they bugger about getting everything working (yes cynical I know).

But as soon as I am back online, I'll be in touch with evryone to sort this out.

Jim

Titaniumdave
11-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi All,
Just checking in to see where you are with the GB. I will hold 10 of the TB Damper Shields till next week for this group. I will need to release them for other sales soon, the batch is almost gone!

Plenty of Short Shift kits, so we can do those when ever you are ready!

Thanks,
Dave

goldnsx
11-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Common guys, get those shields before the pulley eats up your TB! I had two GB with titaniumdave (I'm in the continental Europe) and all worked perfectly.

mutley
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Common guys, get those shields before the pulley eats up your TB! I had two GB with titaniumdave (I'm in the continental Europe) and all worked perfectly.

it's ok, we're on it!

mutley
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Righty ho guys,

All PM's sent, as soon as I get teh cash I'll place the order and then sort out delivery to everyone.

Jim

mutley
14-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Only had 2 people cough up the cash so far, can the rest of you get the funds to me so I can get this order placed.

Cheers

Jim

Silver Surfer
14-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Paid via Paypal.

SS

mutley
14-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Does anyone not on the list want to join this GB? we have one going spare.

1. SPARE
2. NSXGB Paid
3. AR
4. Lankstarr Paid
5. Mutley Paid
6. Silver Surfer Paid
7. Ewan
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou
10. Lotusolly

Papalazarou
15-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Payment sent.

Cheers,

James.

AR
15-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Guys sorry I am out of this, since I have a new pulley to go on and the old pulley needs to come off for this to be installed.

AR

mutley
15-06-2009, 04:39 PM
1. SPARE
2. NSXGB Paid
3. SPARE
4. Lankstarr Paid
5. Mutley Paid
6. Silver Surfer Paid
7. Ewan Paid
8. Minch
9. Papalazarou Paid
10. Lotusolly

Does anyone else want to join this GB, now have TWO spare slots

Jim

mutley
28-06-2009, 08:32 PM
HI all. to the guys who have sent me the cash, you have PM's.
there are still 2 members here that haven't been in touch yet, if you can let me know if you still want this by wednesday 01 July 09.

Cheers
Jim

mutley
18-07-2009, 06:40 PM
TO all that ordered this part, tracking number is : CP419876775US

So we should have them soon.

Jim

mutley
22-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi to all concerned,

Parts arrived today, will be PMing everyone.

Jim

Hagasan
22-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi to all concerned,

Parts arrived today, will be PMing everyone.

Jim

What do these work out at Jim? May consider one of the spares?

Gary

rsevo6
22-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Same here, how much incl shipping to The Netherlands?
Are these the lightweight or solid version?

mutley
22-07-2009, 09:11 PM
sorry guys, there are no spares, I as some people dropped out, I only ordered for the guys that paid so the ones I have are spoken for.

Jim