PDA

View Full Version : Bank holiday - must be time for new springs

forumadmin
24-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Today I got round to fitting the Comptech Pro suspension I have had lying around for over a year now.

First part of the job is to remove the existing system. I already have an aftermarket system on the car so removing it is really easy. All I need to do is slacken off the spring by unwinding the spring perch. If this was the OEM springs, then compressors are needed.

forumadmin
24-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Next is to get the new springs ready. The Koni 3012 dampers have a user unfriendly method to adjust the bump. The damper needs to be held, and while pressing a button on the damper body the top is rotated. There are 10 clicks, and I have set the dampers to the middle setting.

The top plates are installed in the car first.

Then the dampers fit in really easily. To get an idea of where to set the spring perch so that the height remains unchanged, I jacked up the opposite suspension until the body of the car left the support stands. Then I measured the lower suspension arm to the top plate. By doing the same on the new side, I could adjust the height so that it was the same, or thereabouts.

forumadmin
24-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I like the way Comptech have made the top plates so that the springs are angled to be as far away as possible to the wheels. This allows for bigger wheels.

The way the dampers fit, is superior to every other type as there is no top nut to have to tighten.

So how does it drive?

There is no comparison between the crap TEIN suspension I had before and these. The spring rates on these new dampers is twice that of a Type-R, yet the quality of the damping results in a ride which is more compliant than what I had with the TEINs. I guess the Japanese just like to be bounced around. I took some roundabouts on my test drive at speeds which I have never had the confidence to do before. The system soaks up the bumps. The rattling I was experiencing before is now gone as well.

How can I sell this car now? It's even more perfect.

ps. Free to good home. One set of crappy TEIN RE suspension.

nigel
24-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Would you consider sending them to me in the states if I cover the packing and shipping costs?
I bought a spare set of shock assys. from a 96' at a scrap yard of $60 US hoping I could come up with a set of springs down the road and wouldn't have to bugger up my original OEM set.
I'd be glad to send back the OEM springs from the spare set in return.

Cheers
nigel

goldnsx
24-05-2009, 08:56 PM
...the quality of the damping results in a ride which is more compliant than what I had with the TEINs. I guess the Japanese just like to be bounced around. I took some roundabouts on my test drive at speeds which I have never had the confidence to do before. The system soaks up the bumps.

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience going from a harsh damping to the adjustable KW's. It felt way more confident over bumps getting soaked up by the shocks.

forumadmin
24-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I think my sarcastic humour may be getting lost. The TEIN system I took out is fit for nothing but the scrap heap. The shock bodies are corroding badly, hence why I wanted to change them out before they exploded on me.

Would you consider sending them to me in the states if I cover the packing and shipping costs?
I bought a spare set of shock assys. from a 96' at a scrap yard of $60 US hoping I could come up with a set of springs down the road and wouldn't have to bugger up my original OEM set.
I'd be glad to send back the OEM springs from the spare set in return.

Cheers
nigel