PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone with 2002+ Rear Valance ...

CrazyMixedUpKid
21-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

I've had my 2002+ rear valance on for ... well, I forget .. but its years (Plans did the install) ... was poking around under the car the other day and noticed the following ... this photo is taken from inside the rear wheel arch looking down and to the rear - the wheel liner has been removed.

I noticed a conspicuous looking hole in the bottom of the valance - and a very empty looking hole in a support / rod nearby - same on the other side. Should there be some kind of stay in place here to stop the valance moving? It doesn't move / flex much when you push it - but it does move ... I can't see anything in the parts catalogue - and nothing mentioned in the service manual ... but why have a hole in the valance there then?

Anyone else who's done this conversion got anything / a stay in place there?
Anyone with a 2002+ car know what they have?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hagasan
21-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

I've had my 2002+ rear valance on for ... well, I forget .. but its years (Plans did the install) ... was poking around under the car the other day and noticed the following ... this photo is taken from inside the rear wheel arch looking down and to the rear - the wheel liner has been removed.

I noticed a conspicuous looking hole in the bottom of the valance - and a very empty looking hole in a support / rod nearby - same on the other side. Should there be some kind of stay in place here to stop the valance moving? It doesn't move / flex much when you push it - but it does move ... I can't see anything in the parts catalogue - and nothing mentioned in the service manual ... but why have a hole in the valance there then?

Anyone else who's done this conversion got anything / a stay in place there?
Anyone with a 2002+ car know what they have?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hi Paul.

I asked myself exactly the same question when I fitted mine! I confirmed at Jepfest by looking at Ewan's car that there was a supporting rod on the later cars. It's actually welded to the original supports you already have. The later part is about £35+vat per side.

I went to B&Q and bought a hollow aluminium rod for about £3.50. I cut it to the correct length and then squashed each end in the vice to close the tube. I also filed/rounded of each end. Then I made a bend at one end to line up with the valance hole. The other end I attached to the original support with a P-clip. Obviously I had to drill holes at both ends. Once all sized up I painted it black! Works a treat and took about an hour to do and £4.00 including the clips.:)

HTH

Gary

Ewan
21-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, what a perfectionist you are, Gary :D

The only reason I noticed there was a stay there was because one day I was washing the car and I noticed a bit more "give" in the rear bumper - realised the popper that holds the stay in place had come off and it was flapping about. One 10mm bolt later, normal service resumed :)

CrazyMixedUpKid
22-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks Gary / Ewan ... right - I'm on a mission.

Out of interest - do you know the part number Gary? I can't see anything in my EPC ... I must looking in the wrong place ... (but I would have thought it would be on the bumper/valance section!)

Cheers
Paul

Hagasan
22-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Paul,

they're on B-49-20 Outer panels Items 14 & 15. 64412-SL0-000 right and 64812-SL0-000 left.

£4.00 or £82?? And the risk of the main bolt that holds it onto the inner wing snapping!?!

Gary

CrazyMixedUpKid
22-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks Gary ... must be £80 looking at the US prices ...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/srchrslts.jsp?vinnosrch=&srchwords=64812&radiobutton=radiobutton&catcgry1=&inputstate=

DIY job methinks!

Ta
Paul

Hagasan
22-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, what a perfectionist you are, Gary :D

The only reason I noticed there was a stay there was because one day I was washing the car and I noticed a bit more "give" in the rear bumper - realised the popper that holds the stay in place had come off and it was flapping about. One 10mm bolt later, normal service resumed :)

Hi Ewan, a bit fussy I can be but I didn't fancy ever damaging this really expensive part as it did feel quite flimsy without the stay in place....

Gary

CrazyMixedUpKid
22-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Gary - just found those parts in my EPC - they are the same part no for pre and post 2002+ so can't be the stays to the 2002+ valance ... think they are 'fender' stays as the name suggests (i.e. for the panel) ... looks like I already have these ... in fact one bit of the parts you've quoted look suspiciously like my photo ... i.e. I must have these in place - just missing the connecting stay down to the valance .... is this the bit you are saying is 'welded on'? and if so ... where is / what is the part no for that?
Cheers
Paul

Hagasan
22-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Gary - just found those parts in my EPC - they are the same part no for pre and post 2002+ so can't be the stays to the 2002+ valance ... think they are 'fender' stays as the name suggests (i.e. for the panel) ... looks like I already have these ... in fact one bit of the parts you've quoted look suspiciously like my photo ... i.e. I must have these in place - just missing the connecting stay down to the valance .... is this the bit you are saying is 'welded on'? and if so ... where is / what is the part no for that?
Cheers
Paul

I just re-checked the EPC. The numbers I gave you were using a 2003 year for the search. It seems that the same part numbers are used on a 96 car as well? If you look closely at the diagrams for the 96 & 03 cars you'll see that the 03 diagram has the stay with the extra "leg" for the valance that the 96 does not! Not sure what to suggest as the correct parts numbers?

Guess that's why it's easier to make your own stay...:D

Gary

Senninha
23-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Gary,

I dont suppose you have time to make a few sets of your DIY specials?

AS well as Paul and myself, I think Leigh would take a set as well.

I'm more than happy to pay for your time/parts or to buy you lunch on the next Bracknell mini meet?

regards, Paul

Hagasan
23-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Paul,

won't have the time in the next month for sure. If I get the chance I'll take a few pictures and maybe remove one so people can see how simple it is. Although I'm happy enough with what I did everyones ideas of what they'll accept are not the same. I'm no bodger but they're not F1 standards either..... I've already had someone from the US and Hong Kong asking me to make seat side mounts to fit the Recaros on the electric runners!! That whole episode took a considerable time but they are in and working a treat. Just one small detail finishing touch to make before they become public!! It would not be cost effective or practical for me or anyone buying them.....I do have a template though should anyone feel like the challenge.....again it depends on whether my effort is to their liking....

Cheers for now,

Gary

CrazyMixedUpKid
09-07-2009, 08:22 AM
For info:

The part no.s for the 3-legged stays are:

64412-SL0-010 right and 64812-SL0-010 left.

For some reason these part no.s only show up on 2005+ EPCs.

Available from the US at about £30 each. Honda UK want £72 each.

The clip to attach to the valance is 91505-SL0-003.

Senninha
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Available from the US at about £30 each. Honda UK want £72 each.

The clip to attach to the valance is 91505-SL0-003.

Paul, as per pm, interested in a set too ... maybe a GB for a 5 sets?

CMUK
Senninha
Kowalski
?
?