PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem

stan321
26-07-2009, 01:20 PM
P-reg targa 104K

Help. It never rains but it pours. The EPS light has just come on on the dashboard, and my power steering has stopped working. Is this a major problem? And will it be expensive? I've checked the EPS fuse (which is OK), but that's all.

What do I do next?

Sudesh
26-07-2009, 01:34 PM
The NSX electronic steering control unit is capable of self-diagnosing faults by monitoring the system's inputs and outputs, and the driving current of the electric motor. If a problem occurs, the control unit turns the system off by actuating a fail-safe relay in the power unit. This eliminates all power assist, causing the system to revert back to manual steering. A dash EPS warning light is also illuminated to alert the driver. To diagnose the problem, a technician jumps the terminals on the service check connector and reads out the trouble codes.

1. Check you battery, are all the connection nice and tight and has it good power? If so then,

2. Try removing the fuse to the clock for at least 10/20 seconds. This will reset the EPS diagnostic module and remove any errors.

If that doesnt help you may need to replace the power steering control unit.

stan321
26-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that. Which is the fuse to the clock that I should remove. Is it in the front or the rear fusebox?

Sudesh
26-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that. Which is the fuse to the clock that I should remove. Is it in the front or the rear fusebox?

Its the fuse at the front under the bonnet.

Heres a link for some help:

http://itisfresh.com/how-to-reset-ecu-acura-nsx.html

stan321
28-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Many, many thanks Sudesh.

Resetting the ECU solved the EPS problem - I now have power steering again. Must have been a glitch. Saved me a fortune at my local Honda dealer.

How do you know all this stuff??

Sudesh
28-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Many, many thanks Sudesh.

Resetting the ECU solved the EPS problem - I now have power steering again. Must have been a glitch. Saved me a fortune at my local Honda dealer.

How do you know all this stuff??

Thats great news! But keep an eye on it, as sometimes resetting the ECU will help with ceartin problems but some can return again.

But so far so good!

"Knowing all the stuff"......well........Thats a question that could take me ages to reply too lol Alot of reading, research, woking on cars and listening to other experts lol.

stan321
30-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Again, thanks Sudesh.

All the best,

Stan from Suffolk

Papalazarou
30-07-2009, 05:11 PM
If it is the ECU you can get it fixed. I had the same issue two days after buying my previous car. I sent it to BBA reman 01634 230055 and they fixed it really quickly. Mine was free because it was the first one they'd seen, but I don't think they charge much.
The control unit is £1200.00 from Honda!!!!

Cheers,

James.

AR
30-07-2009, 06:25 PM
More the reason to have a NON PAS car. :)

Glad is all sorted BTW.

Sudesh
31-07-2009, 08:11 PM
More the reason to have a NON PAS car. :)

Glad is all sorted BTW.

X2!

plus the weight saving