PDA

View Full Version : Replacking rear brake pads - go with Chiswick or my local (NSX approved dealer)?

NoelWatson
10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm going to continue getting the services done at Chiswick, partly because they give me a free MOT, partly because I can blag 10% NSXCV discount and partly because they have done a good job. However, it is a reasonable trek round the M25 and then into work, whereas my local dealer has an NSX approved technician and is a two minute drive away. Am I crazy to use them for occassional work (hopefully cat replacements etc)?

TheQuietOne
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Just had my pads and disks replaced all round by a local garrage that have looked after my other family cars for years. They are a Hi Q franchise of all things but did the complete job for £175 and did a perfect job too. The mechanic who did it knows my car well and I saw no reason to pay well over double that for an NSX mechanic do something very basic.

I'm 100% happy with my choice and if it affects the resale of my car I will be shocked. After 9 years I think my car is in pretty good shape and a Honda receipt to prove I paid over the odds for a simple procedure won't affect that I hope!

P.S. I will still keep getting it serviced by them for the 'stamp' so I'm not totally brave yet :D

P.P.S Having said that I think a Kaz stamp would be worth more in years to come for those who know.:)

Papalazarou
10-08-2009, 05:08 PM
personally I'd get my car looked after by Kaz. Unfortunately he lives over 200 miles away so it's not an option at the moment. I take my NSX to my local dealer which offers 15% off servicing and does a great job.
H
owever, I also use an independent garage locally to me for anything non-service related such as exhaust swaps, MOT's, etc.... I'm also looking at getting 4 wheel alignment done at a tye place locally as they've a good reputation and look after some of the prestige dealers nearby.

Basically, by having a dealer stamp you're saying; I've had the car serviced to a standard. But obviously the dealer stamp is no gurantee that the service has been done to the letter as the owner of the car may skimp on certain aspects of the service.

Unfortunately dealer stamp is king when it comes to resale, but how many potential owners really take a good look at what was actually done?

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
10-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Bring your car here, I'll do the brakes..............
Seriously though, it's not a 'service' item so get it done anywhere that can do the job.

Senninha
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Noel,

It would take you longer to jack it up and remove / replace the wheels than changeing the pads.

Treat yourself to some weekend therapy :)

regards, Paul

NoelWatson
11-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Noel,

It would take you longer to jack it up and remove / replace the wheels than changeing the pads.

Treat yourself to some weekend therapy :)

regards, Paul

Paul,

I have discovered that the arrival of the second baby effectively eliminates the man's ability to shirk fatherly duties and my weekends are no longer my own. I will also admit that this is an excuse and that I am a half man that is too lazy to get his hands dirty!!
After getting the pads done I hope to pop up and collect the engine cover from Matt, then hopefully we can get the cats fitted and do a TDI day before the summer ends.

Senninha
11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
.....baby effectively eliminates the man's ability to shirk fatherly duties and my weekends are no longer my own............ hopefully we can get the cats fitted and do a TDI day before the summer ends.

Noel,

I know what you mean but I'm sure you wouldn't change the situation!

I'm pushing for the CATS as you know.

regards, Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm going to continue getting the services done at Chiswick, partly because they give me a free MOT, partly because I can blag 10% NSXCV discount and partly because they have done a good job. However, it is a reasonable trek round the M25 and then into work, whereas my local dealer has an NSX approved technician and is a two minute drive away. Am I crazy to use them for occassional work (hopefully cat replacements etc)?

Hi, Noel.

If it is just to replace the rear pads, then Honda should charge you just 0.7Hr for the labour. This is including both the Left and Right side.

The procedure is very-very simple.
Unlike some of the old cars, the rear calliper piston can be retracted by simply rotating it clockwise using a simple special tool or even a certain shaft that will fit inside the '+' shape groove.
As long as people knows the correct torque setting (which can be printed out from the on-line manual anyway), it can be done by your local garage.

Alternatively, if you are heading north from your area and if you have some extra time, just give me advance warning and you can visit my place to have them fitted.

Regards,
Kaz