PDA

View Full Version : Spent all day looking at NSX's for sale

Dragonlady
16-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Now we have taken the decision to look for a 96 onwards NSX. So yesterday we started off from Lincoln to Derbyshire to look at a 96 NSX-T.

My husband was reserved about this with it only being a 3 litre, but as it was relatively local we went and had a look. He was pleasantly surprised at the performance but was concerned at the condition of the bodywork. The paintwork was dull, flat and scratched and the front splitter was split and worn from grounding out. The interior was showing its age but the leather was not ripped.

The engine didn't look too bad, had a full history, cambelt done at 51k and clutch was done at 71k and there was 88k on the clock.

The only concerns were three advisorys on the last MOT, rear brake pipes showing corrosion, near side play in steering rack and spare wheel split.
On the test drive the car felt very tight apart from the brakes. Is this a common feature that the brakes are either on or off? There didn't seem to feel that there was any progressive braking.

After seeing this car I gave in to my husband and agreed to go and see a 3.2 NSX-T in Lancashire that he had been watching. The write up for the car seemed quite possitive, three hours later we arrived at the dealers.

Unfortunately we were disappointed at what we saw.

At first glance we spotted areas of paint work bubbling on various areas of the car, all the rubber seals were badly worn and torn, all the wheels were curbed around all the edges and spokes were all pitted. The drivers seat was badly worn and ripped on the side bolster, also the steering wheel was very shiney (was suprising since it had only 51k on the clock). After a further look aruond the bodywork my husband found evidence of a respray as there was over spray on the washer jet and wing mirror rubbers, as well as paint runs at the bottom of the wings and bad orange peel.

We just glanced at the engine and found the oil filler cap was broken and the oil was very black. At this point we thought it best to walk away.

Absolutely gutted after all that driving.

Our dilemma now is whether to contact the Honda garage who services the first one to get the low down on the car, and if to think about it as a project car, however I'm not sure if it will be worth the 19.5k asking price given the work required as we would want to bring it up to a pristine condition again.

We would welcome any opinions, or any details of anyone who wants to sell a post '96 NSX ( preferably a 3.2 litre ) as we are still looking.

Sharon

simonprelude
16-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Should have bought mine........

The only thing that would worry me in the first is the steering rack, they're something like £7k if it needs a new one. Build it all in to the price, I would be surprised if the price can't be lowered.

goldnsx
16-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not in the UK, so I don't know your market.

If Targa I'd prefer a 97+. They have a 3.2, 6speed, bigger brakes as slight upgrades.

...On the test drive the car felt very tight apart from the brakes. [b]Is this a common feature that the brakes are either on or off[b]? There didn't seem to feel that there was any progressive braking...

With old and OEM brake pads YES. The 97+ brakes are not that much ON/OFF. But in either of the case: even 97+ brakes profit a lot from aftermarket pads.

It's not a bad idea to do a oil analysis if you want to be sure that the engine is healthy.

Don't be surprised to see NSX's in different shape. I usually ask for high-resolution pics of the critical areas before I take a longer drive.

Just take your time on finding the right one. These cars are hard to sell right now.

Good luck!

NSXGB
16-08-2009, 11:00 AM
near side play in steering rack

Possibly not the actual steering rack but the N/S track rod end which is a common failure....

I'd say get in touch with the Honda dealership to get the low down and if the seller agrees, let them inspect it.

Front splitter no problem to fix a new one.

Paintwork can be salvaged depending how bad?

Brake issue may be down to lack of use? I would worry more if it snatched side to side.

Performance wise between the 3.0 & 3.2, I don't think in the real world they are a mile apart but a 6 speed box is nice....

Room for negotiation in the price to put those things right.

AR
16-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I know how it feels I once drove from cardiff to Norfolk to see an NSX and the car was nothing like described.

Like that countless others, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes...

You'll find one in the end.

Cheers,

AR

Nick Graves
16-08-2009, 06:57 PM
O/T, but I just had to say NSXGB, your signature cracked me up!

NSXGB
17-08-2009, 06:08 AM
O/T, but I just had to say NSXGB, your signature cracked me up!

Stolen from the great Tommy Cooper. :-)

forumadmin
17-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that you have wasted time on looking at tatty cars.

However it should be noted by anyone thinking of buying one that there are nicer/straighter/honest earlier cars for sale. Cough.:)

Papalazarou
17-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I've seen some shocking cars from all marques, apparently well cared for and in great condition. When buying an S2000 earlier in the year, I saw a number of disasters being advertised as being in excellent condition.

It made me think that if you have an NSX in good to great condition and you decide to sell, you should hold out for the best possible price, because there's a lot of rubbish out there that could easily turn into a money pit. If someone wants a good example they're going to have to pay for it.

I'm not saying there aren't a few bargains out there, but in the (UK) world of the NSX there are only aroung 300-350 cars to choose from. when you consider the variations of colour/engine size/transmission/roof and headlight style, for many the options are reduced to a handful of cars over a 12 month period.
Want a red/black late pop-up car? I can only think of one and the guys not selling!

Currently there are around 8 cars for sale online! When I was looking a couple of years back there were more like 15-20 and it was still incredibly tough to find a car that got close to fitting my criteria.

Probably the worst development is the re-emergence of accident damaged cars apparently HPi clear. I think owners selling their cars have a duty to disclose any damage they know about.

On a slightly different note, 'Dragonlady' what budget are you looking at?

Cheers,

James.

Dragonlady
17-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear that you have wasted time on looking at tatty cars.

However it should be noted by anyone thinking of buying one that there are nicer/straighter/honest earlier cars for sale. Cough.:)

Unfortunately my husband is insisting on a later model so it looks like we will have to sit and wait. Although I must admit we have seen some beauties for sale in America. It's unfortunate that they will insist on driving on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:.

Good luck with the sale though, I am surprised that it hasn't been snapped up already.

Sharon

Dragonlady
17-08-2009, 11:19 AM
[quote=simonprelude;61321]Should have bought mine........
quote]

I know but I but unfortunately I was unsure about the colour :(

AR
17-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Sharon,

A well sorted 3.0 ( new exhaust, headers, intake ) wont be far behind a 3.2 as proven on dynos and "private roads". OK one less gear but that is it. Also there are more options for tuning it later.

You guys travelled far and wide, maybe just give Kevin's a once over, it might swing you towards a 3.0.

Just my two p. etc

Cheers,

Ary

Dragonlady
17-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I've seen some shocking cars from all marques, apparently well cared for and in great condition. When buying an S2000 earlier in the year, I saw a number of disasters being advertised as being in excellent condition.
James.

The annoying thing is that for the price being asked for in Lancashire you would have expected a car in good condition, I wouldn't have called it exactly cheap.

With regards to the Derbyshire however it was relatively local to us so it would have been silly not to look.

Any way we will sit tight and see what comes up (or move to America where there appear to be plenty for sale)

goldnsx
17-08-2009, 03:51 PM
The annoying thing is that for the price being asked for in Lancashire you would have expected a car in good condition, I wouldn't have called it exactly cheap.

Be happy that you only lost a day or so and didn't buy those nightmare cars/lemons. The word 'excellent' is a very, very subjective term.

In general, well-maintained NSX's are expensive and the good cars rarely get on the market. That's why they're hard to find. It needs time, a lot of actually. The lemons get advertised with a descripton and price like the good cars as nobody would pay a visit to see them if they were advertised the way the actually are. ;)

That will never change. The only way to compensate for this is to have a good preparation. I usually ask for high-res pics of the body, seats and the service manual. If the car is good and the seller wants to sell (or going the extra mile) which is hard now in this economy he's willing to do that. If he doesn't the car might be fishy at a high rate. :)

In Switzerland we have two garagequeens with still 91 OEM painting for sale for over a year or so. The price level is a little bit higher than the rest but they're worth it (I know these cars).

NoelWatson
17-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Sharon,

A well sorted 3.0 ( new exhaust, headers, intake ) wont be far behind a 3.2 as proven on dynos and "private roads".

I've not known a 3.0 exceed 160mph at VMax.....

Senninha
17-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I've not known a 3.0 exceed 160mph at VMax.....

But we know a Black 3.0 with IHE that pulls way into the 180's!!