PDA

View Full Version : Clocking?

Dragonlady
22-08-2009, 07:00 PM
How easy is it to clock an NSX as we have seen a car today which does not add up?

The car is advertised with 46k on the clock, when we had a look it had 41900 showing ( we suspected at this point an error on the advert).

The existing owner purchased the car 3 months ago with what we can tell as being 41k on the old pistonheads advert. The new owner advised that he is selling the car to put a deposit down on two properties.

Now the confusion comes because a forum member saw this car 4-5 weeks ago and advises that it had 44k on the clock at that time.

Looking at the tyres we know that it has "been used" as the tyres on the rear are bold and on three of the tyres the walls are damaged.

My problem is why would somebody want to clock a car for a few thousand miles when it is already a low mileage car, it doesn't make any sense.

Thereby the reason for my question.

If you do not wish to answer on the forum, please can you pm us.

NSX searching is proving stressful and confusing!

Cheers

Sharon and Ian

AR
22-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Don't know about clocking, but if someone changes the clocks or takes them out it could change the readout.

More than likely someone made a mistake somewhere in the adds.

What would be the sense of clocking that?

Cheers,

AR

eclipse1501
22-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes as AR suggests i think you are maybe over analysing. There is nothing to gain without some wholesale clocking. Can't you just check previous service or MOT records. When i advertise a car i always put a bit more mileage on the advert as by the time people show up ive usually run it around for weeks.

Dragonlady
22-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes as AR suggests i think you are maybe over analysing. There is nothing to gain without some wholesale clocking. Can't you just check previous service or MOT records. When i advertise a car i always put a bit more mileage on the advert as by the time people show up ive usually run it around for weeks.

Hi,

Yes all the paperwork before the existing owner took over tally's up, and the mileage wasn't an issue until I rad on Havoc's post on the forum that the car had 44000 on the clock when he saw it 4/5 weeks ago, and yet today it only had 41900 miles on it.

I agree why clock it, but why the discrepancy between the 2 visits?

eclipse1501
22-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi,

Yes all the paperwork before the existing owner took over tally's up, and the mileage wasn't an issue until I rad on Havoc's post on the forum that the car had 44000 on the clock when he saw it 4/5 weeks ago, and yet today it only had 41900 miles on it.

I agree why clock it, but why the discrepancy between the 2 visits?

Did you mention the issue / your concerns to the owner / vendor ??

I recently swore in a bet that Bobby Brown was in Musical Youth as a boy and lost 50 euros! What i mean is perhaps the tacho did not say 44000 although he could have swore it did - our eyes do play tricks.

Dragonlady
22-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Did you mention the issue / your concerns to the owner / vendor ??

I recently swore in a bet that Bobby Brown was in Musical Youth as a boy and lost 50 euros! What i mean is perhaps the tacho did not say 44000 although he could have swore it did - our eyes do play tricks.

Yeah I contacted the vendor and he said that nothing had ever been done to the mileage. When I mentioned that I would most likely want to get someone to inspect the car he was fine with it.

I am wondering if it is worth me rining the local honda garage and see if they have anyone trained on NSX's who could give it a look over, and if they have a suitable ramp for the NSX so that they can also look under the car.

TheSebringOne
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't see the logic if the mileage has been tampered with and reduced by just 2100 miles? If when you have it inspected, check the screws holding that part of the dash has been used?

gumball
23-08-2009, 08:10 PM
It's an old Woody Allen trick, you just reverse everywhere to keep the mileage down.

markc
23-08-2009, 08:18 PM
How easy is it to clock an NSX as we have seen a car today which does not add up?

Much harder than a "modern" car with an electronic digital readout. You'd have to physically remove the NSX instruments and jiggle with the mechanical clock. Mileage on a car with electronic display can be changed to whatever you fancy in seconds from a laptop computer (and software) or a special service device!

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
24-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Ferris Bueller's day off! :D

havoc
24-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Clocking just ISN'T that difficult. Or expensive. Regardless of what car it is...

As for the logic behind "a small haircut" - I've strong suspicions that the dealer that bought my S2000 at auction did just that to bring it below the 40k mark - very little work to add maybe £100-200 to the price! No proof as I never saw the car, but their advert didn't tally with what I sold it at...

Re: this car - I didn't mistake the mileage, I wrote it down. And I suspect if potential buyers knew the car had done ~5,000 miles in ~3-4 months, then they may get itchy about who'd been using it so much and how...

PS - unless it's changed hands in the last month, the 'dealer' (sic) it's currently with claimed to me to have bought it straight from the only owner (a doc with the initials PW). At c.41k miles!