PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems - help!

Marks_NSX
29-08-2009, 07:53 PM
After 8yrs I have my first problem - it won't start :(

After going for a short drive today I stopped at my mums (very fortunate). When I came to leave the NSX wouldn't start. The starter motor will not turn over. You can hear the clicking and the fuses appear ok.
Battery appears ok as lights etc all work. I don't think its anything to do with the alarm/immobilisers as it doesn't click if that isn't off.

Any suggestions? Can the NSX be push started?

AR
29-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Any suggestions? Can the NSX be push started?

Have you tapped the Main relay, are battery cables secured? What is the voltage of the battery?

Cheers,

AR

AR
29-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think there will be an issue with tow starting, but I've never done it on an NSX nor do I remember the manual.

I woould if it was my car, but...

Marks_NSX
29-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Battery voltage appears normal and cables are secure. Everything else is working fine just the starter that's not. Haven't tapped the main replay though.

Sudesh
29-08-2009, 08:15 PM
When you turn the ignition on, what volts read on the instrument cluster? Dont go by the fact the lights look ok. As Ary mentioned, check your battery connections. I had a NSX in for some work, and radio and evertything worked great, but when it came to starting it would not kick now and again because the battery clasps were not tight enough.

Kaz-kzukNA1
29-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi.

How old is your battery and do you drive your NSX regularly? Is it AT or MT? What is the year model as there are additional startter inhibitor switches on later models?

Even if the battery was too weak to crank the engine (by the starter), the lights, horn, radio, etc would still work fine unless the battery was really low on voltage. What was the voltage reading when you put the IGN Switch in ON position?

How is your battery cable connection?

For your reference, even if the main relay fails, you can still crank the engine but won't be able to start it up. Just no spark nor injection.

Regards,
Kaz

Marks_NSX
29-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks. I'll check voltage, battery etc in the morning. Fingers crossed its something simple.

TheSebringOne
29-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the forum! Similar to Kaz, how often you drive & how old the battery? 8 years out of a battery is very good. A fully charged battery should register about 14-15 on the voltmeter in your instrument cluster when you turn the key.

britlude
30-08-2009, 07:35 AM
another way to check if it's the battery is to put the main beam on, and then try to turn the engine over... if the lights stay bright then powers not getting to the starter, dim slightly is normal, dim alot and the battery is flat! battery condition has to be checked under load, even a virtually flat battery will show 12+ volts if you check it with a multimeter.

amo
30-08-2009, 08:51 AM
dont think its the battery
try to wobble the key and hold it when you try to start it might be the ignition mmmmmmm

thx amo

eclipse1501
30-08-2009, 03:20 PM
This happened to me with very similar symptoms and after changing the battery for a new one i actually ended up having the starter motor fixed. My mechanic is ex Honda and he charged me about 40 quid for removing motor, stripping and changing some of the internal contacts. No problems since.

Marks_NSX
30-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I went to try a few things this morning only to put the key in, turn and hey presto its running :)
Now why did it happen and will it happen again? The battery is about 5 years old and for the vast majority of that time has been kept connected to an optimate charger due to having to store the NSX. (long story there but I did manage to keep hold on my NSX even if I couldn't use it!!)
Although for a couple of weeks its been disconnected but the car has been run fairly regularly.
No problems today at all. Even starting with the lights on etc.
I think I will invest in a new battery and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

I will attend another event one day :)

Cheers to all