PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Shift

John C
02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all your previous help, I nearly purchased an NSX, but unfortunately it was involved in an accident just before I was going to buyit. :( One last drive I suppose.

I am now looking into another NSX, but it has a paddle shift. I know that in other makes the early paddle shifts were slow and not very reliable, what are your thoughts for the NSX?

Kaz-kzukNA1
03-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi, John C.

Paddle shift on NSX?
Unless you are talking about the Honda F-Matic (single lever with +/- arrow just in front of the wiper switch), the NSX you are looking into has been modified using aftermarket parts....

Regards,
Kaz

John C
03-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I have not seen the car, just going by the description; I was surprised, but do not have enough knowledge to discount it. The owner says that it is not modified, so it must be the F-Matic. I will have to study the site for opinions, my search on paddle shift found nothing.http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/images/icons/icon11.gif

L23 NSX
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I have an auto with the F-Matic. I like the system but i only use the car on the road so the F-Matic is only really used for overtaking etc. If buying an Auto I'd definitely try and get one with the F-Matic system as it is more entertaining than a straight Auto and in my mind gives the best of both worlds. The F-Matic gearchange feels significantly slower than the manual but its still fun.

Even as a devoted Auto owner I'd agree with most posters and say if its a second car for the weekend or if you want to do track days etc then the manual coupe gives a truer NSX experience. I on the other hand use my car all the time and so the F-Matic Targa is perfect.

jan glyn
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
L23 NSX .Hi, would you therefore recommend a manual for occaional weekend "spirited" driving? I was also looking at an auto but I keep thinking that to exploit the revs of the Vtec perhaps the manual is more suited.

With the Fmatic system are you able to change gear when you want to or do the electrics/auto only change when they deem it correct

Chris B N
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
L23 NSX .Hi, would you therefore recommend a manual for occaional weekend "spirited" driving? I was also looking at an auto but I keep thinking that to exploit the revs of the Vtec perhaps the manual is more suited.

With the Fmatic system are you able to change gear when you want to or do the electrics/auto only change when they deem it correct

Hi jan glyn,
I have a 97 Fmatic auto T
In D you have full auto, in M you control the box with the following exceptions
If the car is moving when you go into M the box automatically selects 3rd gear, you then change sequentially with the +/- lever.
if you hit the rev limiter the box will automatically change up
When using F matic you cannot select 1st until almost stationary,
when stationary the box will select 1st.
When moving in first you can change up to 2nd with the +/- or a slight lift on the gas will also change up to 2nd gear after that you are with the+/-
at any time you can move back into D.
As I don't track I quite like the F matic and use in both modes in D when on the motorway unless I really want the power. and in Fmatic on A and B roads
The only downside is lower bhp ( around 255 with the auto box)
and the lower rev limit at 7500 rpm.
It's quite good for a 1995 box
Hope this helps

Best regards Chris B N:)

jan glyn
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi jan glyn,
I have a 97 Fmatic auto T
In D you have full auto, in M you control the box with the following exceptions
If the car is moving when you go into M the box automatically selects 3rd gear, you then change sequentially with the +/- lever.
if you hit the rev limiter the box will automatically change up
When using F matic you cannot select 1st until almost stationary,
when stationary the box will select 1st.
When moving in first you can change up to 2nd with the +/- or a slight lift on the gas will also change up to 2nd gear after that you are with the+/-
at any time you can move back into D.
As I don't track I quite like the F matic and use in both modes in D when on the motorway unless I really want the power. and in Fmatic on A and B roads
The only downside is lower bhp ( around 255 with the auto box)
and the lower rev limit at 7500 rpm.
It's quite good for a 1995 box
Hope this helps

Best regards Chris B N:)
Hi Chris thanks for the explanation

It has helped me decide that a manual would be best for me. I have a Jaguar XKR obviously Auto with a number of Paramount performance upgrades, I did once try their Paddleshift system. It was not bad but it was more of a novelty to use than a true benefit.

The power of the XKR means that the Auto box is not such a drawback Jaguars also use a "J" gate selector so you can choose to manually select gears, whilst this works well the car provides more of a sporting GT drive than that of a true sportscar

For that reason I feel that I would want to use the available higher revs of the NSX and enjoy its true potential
Cheers.