PDA

View Full Version : Aah got it back

modarr
06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, 7 months later, I picked my car from Honda in Bexleyheath. The Comptech blower is on at last and the idle sorted.

First impressions....can't say much since the wet, dark congested roads aren't good for testing 70 or 80 odd bhp gains. But, the torque hike is obvious. Power comes on instantly and smoothly. The car feels like its had an engine transplant. The idle engine noise has changed from sewing machine to muted tone with a kid blowing over the top of an empty milk bottle noise. Rev it and it gets meatier. Haven't had it over the VTEC range yet though.

Appearance is very neat. The blower sits low like the OEM intake. What's really cool is watching the blower pulley spinning through the rear hatch. Its not quite mega blower cool in a Mad Max 1 Police Interceptor kind of way, but hey you can see something spinning through the glass hatch instead of static machinery. Shame its not chrome and sitting two foot above the engine sucking up punks and passing birds.

The car is very docile in traffic, a few strange noises but quite normal. Get a little jerk when lifting off suddenly from full throttle but this probably expected due to raised fuel pressure on boost. So far, it seems very plug and play. The car does feel different, less of the rev happy turbine engine, more grunty readily accessible power.

Need a full alignment as the non-complaince rear beam has been fitted plus baffled sump and compliance pivot clamps up front and oil change service. Cost.....12 hrs labour, around a Grand. Not bad me thinks.

What I must add is that after a 7 month absence, the car feels damn special, despite its near 20 year age, it feels so tight, well built and special that its a keeper for sure, feels very much 'old Porsche' compared to newer ones, if anyone knows what I mean regarding build and quality.

Will keep you posted and to the patient one among you, I have the chip for your fish now.

Mo, friend re-united.

AR
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Another convert! :)

Glad you had it back, what was the iddle problem related to EACV?

What is it iddling at?

Are you using an FMU?

Cheers,

AR

markc
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Perfect timing eh Mo, just in time for winter ;)

Let us know when you book for next seasons track days so that we can see and hear it in action. You're chief track day junkie now that Kevin's moved on, so you're exploits will help recruit the next generation of NSX'ers not scared to track day their p&j's :)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
07-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Great news Mo,

Last time I saw this lot it was wrapped in carbourd box in Southend, sitting on boot in the estury

regards, paul

Silver Surfer
07-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Mo,

Are you attending Bedford Easytrack trackday on the Sat 21st Nov?

SS

forumadmin
07-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I just thought. You have removed the Mugen chip, and put the standard one back in haven't you?

modarr
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks all, especially all those who hepled with the shipping arrangements a good year ago.

Ary I'm just using whatever came with the kit, no separate ECU. Idle problem was an air leak and no lights on, yet. Does the car have an 'engine exploded' light?

Kevin, the OEM chip is back in, thanks. Ignition advance and forced induction usually spell melted engine so got that one covered.

SS, I have booked Bedford 19 December, as long as I have the car aligned by then and fuel pressure/oil temp gauge installed, it will be its first tentative trial. My friend may have his GTR on track so it will interesting to see how slow it is in comparison. If not, I'll be in something else.

Mo

mutley
08-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Mo,

As much as I would LOVE to go down the SC route, I still think its a little out my budget (for now), but I would be very interested in prices you've paid so far. We know Amo was about 10K plus, how about you?

Jim

modarr
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
probably around the 6K mark.

I ordered the kit through Dali (only because Kevin was with me on this one). It took almost a year to come through as CT Engineering was only just rising from the flames of Comptech.

took a year to fit it so we are talking two years ago when the exchange rate was very good. Now it would cost a couple of grand more to import I reckon.

When you expect to pay £100 per bhp for power upgrades, its good value.

AR
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
probably around the 6K mark.

I ordered the kit through Dali (only because Kevin was with me on this one). It took almost a year to come through as CT Engineering was only just rising from the flames of Comptech.

took a year to fit it so we are talking two years ago when the exchange rate was very good. Now it would cost a couple of grand more to import I reckon.

When you expect to pay £100 per bhp for power upgrades, its good value.

Add injectors
Fuel filter
New colder plugs
AFR Gauge
Hondabond

You might need to use it properly:

New clutch
Uprated brakes
Headers
Exhaust ( Your AR001 should be up to the task Jim! )

Mark N
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Hallo mo
I was reading your thread about supercharging a nsx.
I reciently purchased a 96 nsx and am considering going down the supercharge route.I do not have much knowledge about the cars mechanics yet so was wonder if you can give me any information on what is involved. Did Honda at Bexleyheath actually fit your supercharger or were they just sorting out your idling problem you mentioned ?
Did you import the kit complete or did you have to so source parts from different places?
What other things may i need to consider with the increase in power gains Clutch, brakes etc.I have already have the Brembo large brake upgrade installed not sure about clutch and the diff is a upgraded lsd.
I am based in Sidcup so to know that a local Honda dealership that has good experiance with the nsx would be very handy especially as some dealers do not seem to know much about them.
Any help would be great.
Many thanks
Mark

amo
09-11-2009, 12:57 PM
tbh i would not go and have a s/c or turbo intalled by a dealer
not unless u get a major %% off
clutch might be needed if yours is going i would not bother untill you need one then go for a twin plate
but if some parts come along then buy them as and when you get used to around 400 you will want more lol
if you do get some sort of ecu
if your going comptec then im sure the 2 nice men on here will tell you what you need
but i dont think you will get a good price from anywhere in the uk for a s/c so get one from the prime lot
thx amo

AR
09-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe I should start a supercharger fitting service! I can do it over a weekend that's for sure.

Rob_Fenn
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Sounds very cool, but wow, you used a Honda dealer! I like the guy at Bexleyheath, but the labour bill must be crazy...

Kudos anyway, i hope to see it in the future.

markc
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I ordered the kit through Dali (only because Kevin was with me on this one).

So did Kevin go through with his purchase? Bagsy first refusal if he's selling :)

Cheers

Mark

forumadmin
09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
So did Kevin go through with his purchase? Bagsy first refusal if he's selling :)

Cheers

Mark

No I did not end up getting one. I ordered two (kind of), Dali got hold of one fairly quickly (I use that term loosely), and that went to Mo, as at the time I was in no position to use it, seeing as I was off to Switzerland for the first time.

I waited and waited for a second unit but it never came, and I wouldn't give Dali the money in advance for something that might take a year to be delivered.

It's a shame, all my car needed was the extra power. I would probably have kept it if I had of done the upgrade. However the time came to decide whether to do it and keep the car forever, or sell it now.

I am soooo jealous of Mo's car now. I would have loved to see how my car would compare with the pesky Porsche chumps if I had got the S/C.

However I don't think the upgrades stop just with the S/C. I imagine a larger radiator and oil cooler will be needed for a track car.

As for needing more than 400bhp, nah. What one needs in power, others can make up in talent.;)

markc
09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
As for needing more than 400bhp, nah. What one needs in power, others can make up in talent.;)

Hee hee, yes I agree 400bhp (at the flywheel) would be about perfect :)

Better (bigger) brakes and an oil cooler should be enough in my case for an occasional track day, provided I'm not trying to stay out, on track, for more than half the available 7hrs?

I'd probably prefer the 3.6/3.8ltr engine conversion but the supercharger option seems much easier and is easily reversible.

Cheers

Mark

modarr
09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Mark,
I'm in Bexley for now so very close to you.
Yes the Honda dealer fitted the kit (took ages, but they did it on the side and it costs less that way). They are getting quite competent with the NSX, they re-built my gear box with type R gears and final drive plus did the clutch.
Speak to the srvice manager, Simon, he's the man to help and very decent chap.

In terms of cost, they charged £1000 odd pounds to fit the kit, fit the up-rated lower suspension beam, replace the sump with baffled sump, oil/filter change and fit front compliance pivot clamps. That's not bad value from a dealer.

The kit was imported complete from Dali, although I would order direct from Comptech in the USA if I were you. One part was missing and had to be re-ordered. I rang them and they dealt with it efficiently.

I have a standard clutch which should be ok I'm told. My car has HiSpec 6 pot brakes front and over-size discs rear. That's probably the best value upgrade on the standard NSX that anyone can make. I also have 2002 Type R prototype suspension (rock hard, makes GT3's feel comfortable), de-cat and headers. I am running the OEM exhaust due to noise worries.
17" 18" OZ Superlegs to allow brakes to fit and Toyo R888 are necessary.

I still haven't had time to drive the car yet so can't comment too much yet. I'm trying to contact Dixon Motorsport in Erith to get an alignment done before a track outing in December.

Hope that helps and maybe see you around some time.

Mo

Hallo mo
I was reading your thread about supercharging a nsx.
I reciently purchased a 96 nsx and am considering going down the supercharge route.I do not have much knowledge about the cars mechanics yet so was wonder if you can give me any information on what is involved. Did Honda at Bexleyheath actually fit your supercharger or were they just sorting out your idling problem you mentioned ?
Did you import the kit complete or did you have to so source parts from different places?
What other things may i need to consider with the increase in power gains Clutch, brakes etc.I have already have the Brembo large brake upgrade installed not sure about clutch and the diff is a upgraded lsd.
I am based in Sidcup so to know that a local Honda dealership that has good experiance with the nsx would be very handy especially as some dealers do not seem to know much about them.
Any help would be great.
Many thanks
Mark

NSX 2000
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I still haven't had time to drive the car yet so can't comment too much yet. I'm trying to contact Dixon Motorsport in Erith to get an alignment done before a track outing in December.

Mo

Hi Mo

Hope all is well, how are all the kids, last time I saw you I think your wife was expecting?

Have you used Dixon before? I used him to supply and fit new brake pads and would recommend him. I also need to go back and get my alignment and tracking done. If you look at his vendor section you will see he has been invited to the US so this may be why you can't get hold of him. I do have his email if you need it.

Paul.

DixcelBrake
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah I am still in UK, I got the email from Mo last night so is sorted now.

I am going to America for the 25 hrs Endurance event from 1st December until 7th December but my garage will be still running while I am there.

Let me know anytime if you need to get your alignment done.

Dixon

modarr
11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Paul,
All four kids are well thanks. Any more your end?
Baby is now 7 months old and I may be able to get some track action in December after almost a year.
We are moving to West Sussex sooner or later but for now I would recommend Symon Cook at Honda for work and also Dixon at DMS. He has my car now and by the looks of it he is much quicker than Honda at getting things done. He is also very knowledgable it seems and I have every confidence in him.
Should have found him before!
He has sorted my alignment already, will fit my oil temp/fuel pressure gauge and rolling road the car to check fueling is safe for a track session.

Tried a drive in the car before dropping it off at DMS this afternoon, and off course it started raining. Anywho, even in the rain and with plenty of care its quick. Hit the slip road off the M25 onto the A2 on full throttle in the wet, small bump at around 60mph and hey presto, wheel spin at nearly 7000rpm. The car now reminds me of the Caterham 21 VHPD I once had. That would spin wheels in the wet at ridiculous speeds. Only sixty odd 21's were ever made and only two VHPD models. Anyone beat that for rare cars owned?

Mo

NSXGB
12-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Another West Sussex NSX.....getting too common....:)

WhyOne?
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
The more the merrier I say!

NSXGB
12-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Mo,

Are you attending Bedford Easytrack trackday on the Sat 21st Nov?

SS

Is there any more availability that day Kare? Looked on a few sites but can't find anything....maybe you know different?

Silver Surfer
12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Simon,

Just checked...it's full for the whole day but 4 places available for the afternoon session for £99!

http://www.easytrack.co.uk/events/allevents.asp

Cheers

SS

NSXGB
13-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks Kare.

modarr
15-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Rolling road results

381 bhp on stock exhaust, Dixon reckons semi-slicks sap some power so not far off 400bhp is likely
250lb/ft 4000rpm to red line, so very flat torque curve

AFR 11.5 all the way to near red line where it rises to 12.5
Dixon rates the running very highly and is interested in fitting CT kits for customers now. No lean running so fueling is spot on.

Sweeeeeeeeet

Silver Surfer
15-11-2009, 09:33 PM
If Dixon supports this in the UK...I am sure a few will take up the offer. ;)

SS