PDA

View Full Version : rolling flaring arches. anyone done it?

jaffaz32
18-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Has anyone had the rear arches rolled and flared on their cars to fit a larger offset rim?

More interested in flared arches.

Would be keen to see some pics.

as the rears are already slightly flared wondered what it would look like done with one of those roller kit things to bring it out lil more to take wider wheels.

markc
18-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Has anyone had the rear arches rolled and flared on their cars to fit a larger offset rim?

as the rears are already slightly flared wondered what it would look like done with one of those roller kit things to bring it out lil more to take wider wheels.

Like these things... http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Roll-Model-/A_107743/article.html

I don't think these things are capable of actually flaring arches. They roll the inside lip, up and flatter, to create a few extra millimeters of clearance.

I had to have this done on my old Porsche 993 to safely accommodate the larger RS wheels. Theoretically they should have fitted but due to production tolerances one side just caught the arch over bigger bumps.

I watched the guy do it... scary! They remove the wheel and bolt the tool to the hub providing it with a fixed centre. Then they adjust the polythene roller wheel to the correct length and finally adjust it to just press against the inside arch lip. Then they start to move it side to side while screwing in the adjuster lever so that it increasingly presses on the inside of the arch. As it is adjusted the arch lip is "rolled" upwards/outwards. Worked well on the Porsche but you can see the whole wheel arch flexing as the roller wheel moves under it.

Cheers

Mark

AR
18-12-2009, 07:27 PM

More interested in flared arches.

Would be keen to see some pics.

What size and offset are you thinking? If you slam the NSX on 19s it will handle like $hit. 17/18 for looks 17s all around for performance. If you are going with humongous tyres and wheels the car will have a very tall gear effect and decrease acceleration, let's not even get to unsprung weight etc.

FWIW I am running a 9.5 +40/7.5 +40 on 17s and they are flush.