PDA

View Full Version : just a blip... or touble ahead.

Boomin33
07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Sept-Dec were literally some of the best trading months in years for us. Although I still have loads on, couple of clients have pulled roles this week and seem nervous about 2010

then you have the obvious - Iceland + Argentina + Greece + Ireland ( and any other bankrupt 'type' countries that join the que this year + end of Quantative Easing / Gov Spending + higher taxes needed etc. etc. = Could we be 5 - 12 months away from a double dip?

Just to be Positive about it all :)

Hairy_Potr
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a finance background, and I think you are spot on to be nervous about a double dip. I wouldn't expect it immediately, though. The global gov'ts solution of dumping liquidity into the system has worked, and will continue to work...until it doesn't. Obviously, that is a very nebulous statement, but my point is clear: We haven't seen the trough yet.

Barring some major/sudden geopolitical event, I would expect a big, fairly easy to spot double top in the charts, just as the current data begins to deteriorate. Lots of suckers out there that have yet to step back into the markets...

NSX 2000
08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Rob

I would say (but I don't want to) there will be trouble ahead, have a few friends in the city and that's the word on the street:(

As I said with another member on here it's just so hard to tell, with different industries being hit in different ways.

Watched "Pierce Morgon in Las Vegas" last night on the telly and it looks really bad out there!

I also get the impression some countries are just lying about there economic situation such as France in order to boost confidance.

Paul

Boomin33
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
yep, wish I would have reacted quicker when I put that "storm clouds" post up in july 2008...

I'm/We're riding a wave right now, but if the seas calm (I'm certainly hoping not!!), I won't let over-heads suck me dry, sap my spirit; again.

NoelWatson
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi Rob

I would say (but I don't want to) there will be trouble ahead, have a few friends in the city and that's the word on the street:(

I think people are a bit nervous that we seem to have got away with it. it is like going out on a big bender and waking up the next morning feeling fine. You wonder why, but then realise that you are still p*ssed and the pain has yet to kick in.

Hairy_Potr
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Haha great analogy! :)

Not to get philosophical or anything, but the best wisdom I can impart is to simply "go with the flow". Manage your personal finances as you see fit, obviously, and focus your energies on the things you can affect in your own life (friends, family, etc.). Don't let external political and economic events get to you. Read a good book instead of watching the "news". Everything else will take care of itself -- it always does. :):)

NoelWatson
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Not to get philosophical or anything, but the best wisdom I can impart is to simply "go with the flow". Manage your personal finances as you see fit, obviously, and focus your energies on the things you can affect in your own life (friends, family, etc.). Don't let external political and economic events get to you. Read a good book instead of watching the "news". Everything else will take care of itself -- it always does. :):)

Very good advice. I remember when this all kicked off and I used to sit on the trading floor and watch swathes of people let go on a regular basis. It seemed like Armageddon was upon us at the time.
I subscribed to the FT and that was also full of doom and gloom. Very easy to get caught up in the negativity.

Hairy_Potr
13-01-2010, 04:49 AM
I read it in a fortune cookie. It was an American-style one, so, naturally, it was extra large. ;)

NSX 2000
13-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Very good advice. I remember when this all kicked off and I used to sit on the trading floor and watch swathes of people let go on a regular basis. It seemed like Armageddon was upon us at the time.
I subscribed to the FT and that was also full of doom and gloom. Very easy to get caught up in the negativity.

Noel

Your Private Message box is full so can't send you a PM.

Paul.

NoelWatson
13-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Noel

Your Private Message box is full so can't send you a PM.

Paul.

Fixed now!

Martin
14-01-2010, 09:24 PM

I like it.... Good advice :)