PDA

View Full Version : Honda UK and supplying parts

mutley
11-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi All,

Today I poped into Honda Dealer in Edinburgh, to ask for servicing prices, cambelt change etc.
Now I asked about supplying some of the parts myself, (eg water pump).

Now I did explain , several times that it would be brand new still packaged OEM from Honda, but they were having none of it, saying I have to buy parts from them, as it may be "a slightly wrong fit"

Once more I explained that it will be the original part number that they can double check and it would be the correct part. Again no joy.

Was't too impressed by this, as I could clearly see why IF it was aftermarket / copycat parts, but I was stressing Oringinal Honda parts. And I even mentioned that down souther here were HUK dealers prepared to do this.

Bloody rip off!!

Jim

Sudesh
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi All,

Today I poped into Honda Dealer in Edinburgh, to ask for servicing prices, cambelt change etc.
Now I asked about supplying some of the parts myself, (eg water pump).

Now I did explain , several times that it would be brand new still packaged OEM from Honda, but they were having none of it, saying I have to buy parts from them, as it may be "a slightly wrong fit"

Once more I explained that it will be the original part number that they can double check and it would be the correct part. Again no joy.

Was't too impressed by this, as I could clearly see why IF it was aftermarket / copycat parts, but I was stressing Oringinal Honda parts. And I even mentioned that down souther here were HUK dealers prepared to do this.

Bloody rip off!!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I cant believe they are being like that, I have supplied my main dealer with new Hinda Parts on a few services I did on my car and they had no problem with that at all! I even recall a BMW dealer here that replaced a window rail and motor on my 540i and it was a used part and again, no problem with that either. Is there not some legal standing that they cannot refuse to work on your car if you supply NEW GENUINE PARTS?

TheSebringOne
11-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Jim, is there not a Honda dealer in Paisley I think who was the NSX dealer for Scotland? It just that my car came fom there when new. HTH

AR
11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
My Honda dealer does not like to do it but have done in the past as a favour.

simonprelude
12-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Both Chiswick Honda and Norton Way have no problems with this so I can't see why any others would, well apart from them not making ££'s on the part prices.

mutley
12-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Both Chiswick Honda and Norton Way have no problems with this so I can't see why any others would, well apart from them not making ££'s on the part prices.

THAT is exactly why, he even quizzed me on how I can get the parts cheaper then they can!!

So I guess they will NOT be getting my business unless.

Sudesh, As for the legal part, Damn fine question and something I would like to look into. Any legal workers on the Forum?

Jim

simonprelude
12-01-2010, 01:00 AM
No legal answer, they can refuse to work on your part for no reason given at all.
They are under no obligation :(

WhyOne?
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
As Simon says, they are under no obligation (certainly not legal) to fit parts supplied by the owner.

Many Honda dealerships will - some begrudgingly others (like Collins Honda who I use) very happily - fully understanding the cost savings.

All you can do is try somewhere else.

havoc
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
All you can do is try somewhere else.

Yep. I'm on Honda dealer #5 because #'s 1-4 have proven themselves crap, untrustworthy, or just plain disinterested. And Honda dealers have (allegedly) got a good reputation!

mutley
13-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah I think that is the answer, will just find somewhere else!

Cheers

Jim

gsuds
13-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear all that Jim, Chatham's have been prety helpful with me in the past, reducing labour charges etc, getting HUK to give me £1000 discount on suspension parts etc. However, I still got my parts from them...;)

GS

mutley
13-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Cheers Graham, the reaso I went to them is because I know you used to used them. I just can't justify buying parts at the price they want when I can get them elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

Jim

gsuds
14-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Couldn't agree more Jim.

G

mutley
15-01-2010, 01:38 AM
My main example, for a new water pump they want £424 plus VAT.

From the US $200 which is about £122

I rest my case!

Jim

NSX 2000
15-01-2010, 10:46 AM
My main example, for a new water pump they want £424 plus VAT.

From the US $200 which is about £122

I rest my case!

Jim

Jim

It may be worth telling them this and they might get onto Honda UK and say they are losing customers as Honda UK charge to much for parts, as the price differance can't be explained by currency and tax differances alone.

I know Jaguar main dealers offer a big discount to cars over 3 years old to try and keep them in the main dealer network.

Paul.

mutley
15-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Paul,

Trust me when the servive advisor asked me how I could supply parts much cheaper than they could, I explained for about 20 minutes, quoting similar examples, and still had no interest from them.

He then said he would speak to the tech that would be working on the car and when he came back he then said that it was a no go. His excuse to me was that " the might not fit propperly" Once more I explained that I was not talking about aftermarket parts but in fact genuine Honda OEM parts. They just didn't seem to get it.

Jim

m666 edd
15-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Winds me up when such a situation like that happens to me. They just can't be bothered to think / negotiate and play the ignorance card.

forumadmin
15-01-2010, 02:09 PM

As Norton Way used to keep telling me they hardly make anything on parts and that's why I couldn't get big discounts on them.

However I used the same argument in return, when I brought my own parts for them to fit. I told them as they don't make any money on parts they aren't missing out on anything by me bringing my own. :)

They said they wouldn't do it for other models, but they also fitted non Honda parts for me too. Well..only the clutch.

mutley
15-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I think Norton Way were good with NSX customers as the word spread and they got NSX owners from all over to use their services.

You would like to think that the rarity of our cars still hanging onto the "Honda Supercar" name, would get a little more respect from HUK Dealers, and that thye would be a bit more helpful in keeping these cars on the road.

Jim

L23 NSX
15-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Jim,

Did you go to Sighthill or Abbeyhill? I take my NSX to Abbeyhill and I must say they have been brilliant. I know both dealers are owned by the same people but although i live nearer Sighthill i only ever go to Abbeyhill. I always deal with Jonathan and they had no issue with fitting parts for me and the NSX guy Mac has always been brand new as well, it may help that i am well known to them and have bought cars in the past but we've certainly had very different experiences.

Good luck

Lee

mutley
16-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Lee,

that's great news, I went to the one at Sighthill, as being the same dealer I thought that Sighthill was the service dept.

Do you have any contact numbers?

Cheers
Jim

(PS Didn't realise there was another owner in Edinburgh area)

gsuds
17-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Ahhhhh, yes, that might explain it - I only ever went to the Abbeyhill branch too.... they were always very enthusiastic about the car & getting the chance to work on it - worth a punt I'd say....

Service dept number is 0131 661 8248

GS