PDA

View Full Version : Honda Prelude help

nigel
15-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Just bought a 91' Honda Prelude 4WS to add to my two other '87 Preludes and want to find someone or somewhere I can get a few '91 U.K. bits and some service help.
I'm pretty good with the single cam model but the '91 is the next generation and there are many differences.
Does anyone know a site or person where I can make inquires?

Cheers
nigel

PeteM
15-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi Nigel,

You might want to try this site as a start point. You will have to register to access all the forum but should prove usefull.

http://forum.hondaevolutions.com/

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Pete.

nigel
15-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Went to Honda Evolutions and registered but it wouldn't let me in.
May have to wait for the account to come up.
I guess i'll give it a try later.

Cheers
nigel

simonprelude
15-01-2010, 07:08 PM
http://preludeuk.forumup.com

http://www.ludebehaviour.co.uk/

nigel
16-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks Paul, I went to both and registered and waiting for "register confirmation" to carry on.
I'll post results back here when I can get in and search.

Cheers
nigel

vtecdirect
16-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Anything specific I can help with Nigel. Do bits and pieces on Ludes fairly regularly.

nigel
17-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Still waiting on confirmation from Prelude sites to get in.
I noticed on the U.S. version on both sides of the E brake handle there is a blank for mounting a switch on each side.
What switches go there?
I just bought this '91 4WS and I have 3 '87 others I use for airport cars.
Obviously the '91 is the next generation and there are many differences.
I've been tending to ALL the needs of the '87s for twenty years and there isn't one bolt I haven't dealt with. Easy after all this time. Two over three hundred fifty thousand mi., one over two hundred fifty thou. mi
One of my most hated tasks is dealing with the heater control. (removal and re-installation)
The one on the '91 4WS doesn't work !!
No lights, no change in function, (heat, defrost, etc,) when I push any button.
On the '87s they're activated by a vacuum hose but lights work. Someone has installed a Kenwood stereo and coc$ed it up i'm sure.
When I turn the "fan" switch to "4" the stereo goes off. The power aerial doesn't work.
The alternator light is illuminated and it quit running on the way back from the airport the first day I drove it. (11 mi)
I'm fairly sure the engine quit as the battery ran out of power to fire the plugs. I'll check and replace the alternator and that should fix that but the inop heat controller is my concern. When it stops p!ssing rain i'll check all the basics and report back.
I have a check engine light. Can I go to an auto parts store and get an OBD II (?) reader or do I read it like the '87s under the near side, rear ashtray ?
I don't have a maintenance manual yet for this third gen. Prelude yet.
I also want to replace the bodged up intake systen someone made with an entire OEM intake system if I can find one from a breaker and then install a K&N filter.
I also might need an OEM aerial but I need to diagnose that first.
Thanks for asking.

Cheers
nigel

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi, Nigel.
It's long long time ago so I can't remember correctly but hope these will help (or may be not)....

1. Switches
Are you talking about the seat heater switches behind the parking brake lever?

2. Engine CHeck Light
91 is before OBD-II so you need to short (paper clip or proper connector) the pins on the 2-pin connector. I think it was behind the centre console and there was another connector (3 or 4-pin??) nearby so be careful not to short any of the pins on this one.

Regards,
Kaz

nigel
18-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi Kaz,
I was hoping you'd jump in .
Trust you had a good holiday season and all is well. I see your doing your usual bang up job helping the lads. Wish I was there in the U.K. to spend time with you and the lads and enjoy some of the friendship in the community there.
The Prelude in question has a "blank" if you will on either side of the e-brake handle on the angle part of the console.
I don't think they offer any options over here for their use.
Again, the European version gets to use them. Just wondering if like my NSX I can get those option from someone over there.
My main concern is getting the electrical problem sorted and then worry about the accessories.
I'm fairly disapointed about the car as I flew to Pheonix, Arizona and trailered it back here to n/e Mississippi and didnt expect it to be this bodged up. It was a twenty six hour drive and it was torture.
I should be getting a maintenance manual this week and i'm sure it will be a huge help. I was just hoping someone might have some direct experience with third generations Preludes and may be able to help in the near future.
The '91 is the last year for the mechanical 4WS and they didn't offer many over here so it will be a nice bit of kit if I can get it sorted.
As always, all the best.

Cheers
nigel