PDA

View Full Version : Rant (Sensitive topic)

Hairy_Potr
24-01-2010, 06:21 PM
As it relates to this, specifically, and much much more broadly (why I'm "ranting" so to speak). Subject: Registered Users vs. Financial Contributors.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132184 (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132184)

First, and let me be crystal clear -- I am NOT trying to dissuade people from making financial contributions to prime or your site, Kevin. Not at all. I am, however, highlighting a tragic mindset that manifests itself throughout western society and this thread illustrates it perfectly. If my message registers correctly, contributions may actually increase because new ones would be made for the *right* reasons, and not through the shameless guilting of other unknown people.

Synopsis from that thread:
The OP states from the saddle of his high horse that everyone should give money to prime, particularly if they post frequently, and if they don't, they are second class prime citizens. A number of (good) people sheepishly step up apologetically and contribute money. Robin Hood smiles from a faraway place.

Why is this action *so* wrong? How does it illustrate a cancer stricken mindset in the broader world? (Think of the psychology term "projecting" as you read this)

There are two basic groups of people in the world, but with a very blury line dividing them obviously. The Producers/Givers and the Consumers/Takers. Producers create value (for themselves, and by extension, others), while Consumers only take value generated by Producers.

On prime, the Producers are the people who post valuable insights/information. Most directly, they are the NSX mechanical experts whose posts have saved countless people time & money on their NSXs. Also the track gurus, whose prime insights may very well have saved novice track enthusiasts' lives. Value produced/given, right? Obviously. There are also a lot of prime members whose expertise (and valuable insights) aren't car related, but can be quite valuable nonetheless. Real estate experts, finance experts, legal experts, home technology experts -- all can be of assistance, and whose posts will have been invaluable to different members at one time or another. You could also put the funny guys in this camp -- they provide the value of humour and entertainment.

The Consumers/Takers, for the most part, don't contribute anything of value. They parrot what they've read elsewhere, post nonsense, or argue with others about the same stupid things everyone already knows (such as rehashing political opinions verbatim off their favorite news channels). No value (in fact, it consumes value because it wastes peoples' time, particularly the moderators).

How does this relate to the subject of making financial contributions to prime?

A Consumer will project his own mindset on others. Since he is "taking" from prime (entertainment, auto advice, etc.) then he thinks he should pay for it. Good, and perhaps that person should. But to guilt the Producers into financially contributing is the lowest of the low. The Producers share their knowledge -for free- because they want to. But then to call them losers for not paying for their valuable volunteerism is reprehensible. Unfortunately, very unfortunately, this mindset (and the idiotic guilt tactic) is rampant in society. I don't think I need to go into specifics.

Anyway, that's my rant. To that thread, my response would be something along the lines of: Screw you! My financial/housing advice would have saved your collective asses millions (perhaps billions) of dollars in losses or in specific investment gains. Take your $50 and your guilt trip, and stick it in that blind third eye of yours.

Let people donate because they WANT TO, whether a Producer or a Consumer, and not because YOU (idiot -projecting- Consumer) think they are obligated to.

(Feel free to post this anywhere you like. I posted it for the intellectual benefit of all, and because I wanted to -- not because someone thought I had an obligation to do so.)

mutley
24-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I suppose that's fair enough. I pay my subscriptions to this site, as I have had a lot of help from it, which would have cost god-knows-what if I always ran to honda for assistance. I have met many good freinds on here, and enjoy the big meets that we have.

So I'll continue to contribute both my knowledge and financially to this site.

Jim

Hairy_Potr
24-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I suppose that's fair enough. I pay my subscriptions to this site, as I have had a lot of help from it, which would have cost god-knows-what if I always ran to honda for assistance. I have met many good freinds on here, and enjoy the big meets that we have.

Jim

Jim,
That's great, and you should (if YOU choose) continue to do so. Same for everyone else -- that's not my point.

My point (as it relates to prime) is simply that people contribute value in different ways, but I've noticed repeatedly that it is those folks whose postings are worthless that mail $50 to Lud and then sling guilt around at people whose posts actually have value.

And, the reason for my post -here- is to call attention to this mentality in your lives in general. IMHO, don't let guilt (from some loser) compromise what you think is right/wrong. I'm *quite sure* that at least some of the apologists on prime fancied themselves as valuable contributors, and that's why they "delayed" making a financial donation until now.

Perfect example: Steveny (whom I admire) -- a registered user
Tons of posts, some of which are very valuable as it relates to real estate investing. There's even a thread pathetically begging for him to "Teach us all about real estate". The masses are begging for his knowledge, but then want to call him out with Make-You-Feel-Guilty threads for not giving $50 too. The masses want to know how Steve has been so successful; it's all spelled out right here. Steve is a Producer (and he knows it, with pride).

/rant off

havoc
24-01-2010, 10:30 PM

Jim

That's my attitude too. I subbed-up to NSXCB before I'd bought my car, because I'm not mechanically-minded and am pretty-sure I'll get more from there than I can contribute*. And because there was a great bunch of people at the S'stone Classic who gave me their time and attention and made me realise that this place is more of a community than most single-model fora!!!

* That said, I've got a very good memory for otherwise-useless facts and minutae, so I can do a very good impression of sounding like I know what I'm talking about when it's 90% 2nd-hand information. You have been warned! ;)

Hairy_Potr
24-01-2010, 11:37 PM
That's my attitude too. I subbed-up to NSXCB before I'd bought my car, because I'm not mechanically-minded and am pretty-sure I'll get more from there than I can contribute*. And because there was a great bunch of people at the S'stone Classic who gave me their time and attention and made me realise that this place is more of a community than most single-model fora!!!

* That said, I've got a very good memory for otherwise-useless facts and minutae, so I can do a very good impression of sounding like I know what I'm talking about when it's 90% 2nd-hand information. You have been warned! ;)

You actually bring up another good point. Prime has a much larger user base, and, I think, a somewhat lower average age. So the Off Topic section is very active (# threads/posts greatest) compared to NSXCB, and there are many new interesting/informative non-NSX threads posted daily. Point being, this site is much more NSX-focused, so there is not the same value to be derived from the kinds of gibberish that I, personally, could contribute.

BTW, I did try to contribute $500 to Lud (because I wanted to ;)) but he apparently didn't want it.

Papalazarou
25-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Jim,
That's great, and you should (if YOU choose) continue to do so. Same for everyone else -- that's not my point.

My point (as it relates to prime) is simply that people contribute value in different ways, but I've noticed repeatedly that it is those folks whose postings are worthless that mail $50 to Lud and then sling guilt around at people whose posts actually have value.

And, the reason for my post -here- is to call attention to this mentality in your lives in general. IMHO, don't let guilt (from some loser) compromise what you think is right/wrong. I'm *quite sure* that at least some of the apologists on prime fancied themselves as valuable contributors, and that's why they "delayed" making a financial donation until now.
/rant off

Well, I don't think there is any guilt here about whether people pay or not. Although, because of the size of the site, it does rely on contributions.

However, I do understand where you're going with this thread. I think it's just a fact of life though. We are always being lead down one path or another, willingly or not.
Much of the time we're not even aware of the influences that lead us there in the first place.
My issue has always been the way we use our cars and how we are influenced by others to do so;

There seems to be a set of rules for 'when it's ok to drive.'
Here are some example of when it's not;

1. when there is salt on the road
2. when it is raining
3. junk mileage - for all those low mileage cars that we're trying to keep the miles off, every journey counts!
4. On the track - A Porsche salesman told me the other day that track driving prematurely ages cars, hence they would never stock a car that's been on a track.
5. When it's sunny - it might fade the paint!
6. when there is traffic
7. too close to other cars will chip your paint - go get some paint shield!

If you adhere to these criteria, you'll do less than a thousand miles a year and won't get the full enjoyment out of the car. In reality none of them are going to make any real difference to anything, but somewhere in our fragile little minds some of these hang-ups exist and are actively making decisions for us and that's just about cars!
When I was younger, I just drove, had fun and ocassionally broke things, which I replaced then drove some more, I couln't care less about salt and washing with two buckets. I gess I've just picked up some bad ahbits and need defragging.

Cheers,

James.

Hairy_Potr
25-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Great points as well. I guess that given the rarity of the NSX in the UK, it garners even more "babying" than in the US. But, I fully agree -- Honda made 'em reliable for a reason! :)

"...defragging of the mind" -- HILARIOUS! Would you mind if I used that in a quote??

forumadmin
25-01-2010, 09:44 PM
James has said some things which has prompted me to say this...

I have mentioned that fact I now have an Audi. However the only comments I seem to have received is how they will blow up one or more parts under the bonnet.

Now anyone who has talked to me will have heard me say something like I only buy reliable cars, as I don't see any point in not doing so. If one car company can make reliable cars then why can't they all? It's all just engineering. Well wouldn't the motoring would be a dull place if everyone only bought cars based on decisions of reliability and made by the head, not the heart? I mean Aston Martin, Ferrari, hell every Italian car company would be out of business if everyone thought like that.

We are supposed to be car enthusiasts. We are meant to love cars and motoring. We, if anyone should be able to overlook these foibles and buy cars because they are cool, or have great performance. The cost of keeping these cars running, is the cost of the enjoyment we get from these cars.

I have a friend who says that people that don't drive their cars are only keeping the nice for the next owner. She used to have an Elise from new, and went through four sets of tyres in the first year. She loved the car, she loved driving it. She says the cost of depreciation caused by the mileage is her cost of the enjoyment she got from the car.

I think I am going to live a little more. Maybe my next car will be a Lamborghini even (if I have the money). I would like to think that one day in the future, when petrol has run out, I will be able to tell the kids of tomorrow I used to have one of those Lamborghini's. I don't want to have to tell them that I could have had one of those Lamborghini's, but didn't as the clutches cost like £4000 so they're not worth it.

havoc
26-01-2010, 09:44 PM
We are supposed to be car enthusiasts. We are meant to love cars and motoring. We, if anyone should be able to overlook these foibles and buy cars because they are cool, or have great performance. The cost of keeping these cars running, is the cost of the enjoyment we get from these cars.

I have a friend who says that people that don't drive their cars are only keeping the nice for the next owner. She used to have an Elise from new, and went through four sets of tyres in the first year. She loved the car, she loved driving it. She says the cost of depreciation caused by the mileage is her cost of the enjoyment she got from the car.

I think I am going to live a little more. Maybe my next car will be a Lamborghini even (if I have the money). I would like to think that one day in the future, when petrol has run out, I will be able to tell the kids of tomorrow I used to have one of those Lamborghini's. I don't want to have to tell them that I could have had one of those Lamborghini's, but didn't as the clutches cost like £4000 so they're not worth it.

:clap:

I've got a 6,000 mile/year limit on my NSX policy, and I intend to use as many as possible this year and next (I may only have the car for two years, depending on finances and the possible appearance of havoc-ettes). This will take it over 100k and I'll probably suffer on the resale as a result...but as you rightly say (in a more polite way) "F*** it, you only live once!"

Now (apologies for the thread hijack), which of the following would you pick:-
- 10 day holiday in SE France (via Route Napoleon)
- Le Mans Classic
- Long weekend on the west-coast of Scotland
- trackday at Spa Francorchamp

I want to do at least two, but I already know mileage won't permit all 4.