PDA

View Full Version : Permagard - anyone tried this?

MattS
12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I've been looking for a while for a decent outdoor cover to protect the car's paint mainly from UV light, bird muck etc..

I was reading this month's EVO magazine and saw that Harry Metcalfe (the Ed) has had his new F550 permagarded (www.permagard.info). It appears to be a paint treatment used on boats, racing cars and planes etc. that repels pretty much everything.

Evo have also had their Lambo Murcielago treated with some Zymol process (cost £250) and their Exige done with something similar from Turtle Wax. They seemed pretty impressed with all of the results. All the manufacturers pretty much claim that you never have to polish your car again and all you need do is wash it with clean water.

Permagard have quoted me about £150 for the treatment - which seems pretty good. too good to be true?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these products that they could share here?

Thanks,

Matt

Paul
14-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi MattS

I know a mobile car valet who has cleans my cars a few times ... I'm getting to be a bit of a lazy sod nowadays ... so I'll try to remember to ask him about it. I'm due to see him Friday morning as he's cleaning a couple of cars for some work colleagues, so hopefully I'll have something for you then.

MattS
15-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks Paul,

I've done a bit of research and there seems to be loads of these 'paint protection' products on the market. Obviously the people that sell them reckon they're the bees-knees, however I can't find any independent reviews so some anecdotal info would be great.

On the face of it they seem to be a great idea, but they almost sound too good to be true...But if it's good enough for concorde, will it be good enough for my NSX!!

This site http://www.clean-image.co.uk/paintsealant/index.htm
has some useful info if anyone's interested.

Thanks,

Matt

Paul
22-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Ah, spoke to my mate who valets cars for a living. He uses a two stage Diamond Brite polish for best results. He mentioned something about a 'rejuvinator' or something similar.

Basically for the majority or dirt picked up all you'd do, having had the car 'Diamond Brite' treated you get a solution to add to the water for washing the car in future. You don't need shampoo to clean it after, just add the 'rejuvinator' solution.

However, I've not had mine done using this, although I am very tempted. He says it seems to be about one of the best polishes around, but without personal experience I wouldn't like to comment.

I'm afraid I'm gettign rather lazy and book him to clean the car every other time it needs a wash!

He did mention another treatment that he says he's seen in adverts of cars for sale. I think it might be Zymol, as in adverts for cars are including the line 'bodywork has been polished using Zymol', but I'm not 100% certain if it was Zymol that he said was the name of the new paint polish/treatment.

I'm not sure if any paint treatment/wax/polish will stand up to repeated bird muck hits and flying rubber from a track day, and allow the car to be washed using nothing but water and get that just polished look after you've dried it ... then again, maybe I'm just being synical.