PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good body/ paintshop

Dragonlady
30-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,

We are currently looking at getting a price for respraying the NSX, as mentioned when we purchased the car there are a few imperfections with the paintwork (small scratches, paint dull on the bumper - nothing major) but we really want someone who knows what they are doing.

We went to Chartwell in Derby yesterday and to be honest I got the impression that we were not worthy of their time/ service. And having just got an ESTIMATE from them for the work we really now have the impression that they don't want the job.

Are you sitting down - they quoted an estimate of £7750 for removing glass and trims, and respraying car with same colour Sebring Silver. That does not include any replacement parts or repair work they may find which we will have to source. In fact they also said that if they did find anything that they were uncomfortable with, they would quote for additional work and would refuse to continue with the car until we agreed to pay (aka they want an open cheque book).

So I wondered if anyone could recommend a good paintshop that they have used, we are willing to travel anywhere within the UK.

Regards,

Sharon

simonprelude
30-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I used bodymaster in Watford to repsray my Prelude, however he generally works or Ferrari's and Lamborghinis as well as 'Japcrap'.

http://www.bodymastergbltd.co.uk/

If you speak to him mention my name, he's a good bloke, not the quickest worker but his bodyshop is very close to Watford station so easy for getting to and from when dropping the car off and collecting.

The Murcielago in the galleries was owned by a famous race driver who decided to see how it was at ploughing fields and was a catC write off.

http://www.bodymastergbltd.co.uk/images/galleries/prestige/lambo/lambo-side.jpg

Hagasan
30-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I used bodymaster in Watford to repsray my Prelude, however he generally works or Ferrari's and Lamborghinis as well as 'Japcrap'.

http://www.bodymastergbltd.co.uk/

If you speak to him mention my name, he's a good bloke, not the quickest worker but his bodyshop is very close to Watford station so easy for getting to and from when dropping the car off and collecting.

The Murcielago in the galleries was owned by a famous race driver who decided to see how it was at ploughing fields and was a catC write off.

http://www.bodymastergbltd.co.uk/images/galleries/prestige/lambo/lambo-side.jpg

I'd second Simon's recommendation. I used BM a couple of years ago for some work on my integrale EvoII. Very knowledgeable, friendly and importantly they listen to the customer! They do a lot of high end cars but not sure if they know the NSX? This can sometimes mean a new learning curve costing more in time and money but they should take care of the dismantling etc without breakages considering what they normally deal with....

I know Norton Way have a "bodyshop" but I'm not sure if it's just contracted out work but if so they may know the NSX?

forumadmin
30-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Norton Way's bodyshop is in house. Though if you want real care and attention, the removal of all plastic, and painting whole car, I would go elsewhere. They deal with so many small accident type repairs going through I would like to think that someone's complete attention was being spent on a whole car respray.

Would a complete respray be worth it? Especially in the same colour? Unless the paint is ruined all over I wouldn't bother. What if it comes out worse? Sure you may hide a few stone chips, but they will only come back again, unless you don't drive the car, and therefore why own the car?

simonprelude
30-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Norton Way bodyshop was one of the reasons I fell out of Love with my NSX :'(

I took the NSX to Phil to look at after my incident and he said he wasn't comfortable working on it just in case there were any underlying problems, he gave me a quote to take to my insurance company to make Norton Way look a better option and the rest if History.

If Phil is not 100% happy working on a car he'll tell you, yes he's in business to make money but also to keep customers happy and his reputation.

Silver Surfer
30-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Just get it wrapped..same colour or different colour.
At least you know the original paint is still intact and it cost less than £2000.

See Paul's....it looks fantastic!

SS

NSX 2000
30-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi,

We are currently looking at getting a price for respraying the NSX, as mentioned when we purchased the car there are a few imperfections with the paintwork (small scratches, paint dull on the bumper - nothing major) but we really want someone who knows what they are doing.

We went to Chartwell in Derby yesterday and to be honest I got the impression that we were not worthy of their time/ service. And having just got an ESTIMATE from them for the work we really now have the impression that they don't want the job.

Are you sitting down - they quoted an estimate of £7750 for removing glass and trims, and respraying car with same colour Sebring Silver. That does not include any replacement parts or repair work they may find which we will have to source. In fact they also said that if they did find anything that they were uncomfortable with, they would quote for additional work and would refuse to continue with the car until we agreed to pay (aka they want an open cheque book).

So I wondered if anyone could recommend a good paintshop that they have used, we are willing to travel anywhere within the UK.

Regards,

Sharon

That £7K +VAT sounds about right, IIRC the bloke who owns EVO took his Porsche Carrera to get resprayed and paid that sort of money, in the next issue of EVO in the letters section were numerous replys saying he had been ripped off and they could have done the job for under £5K

If you do want a respray there is a bloke in Kent who mainly does Ferraris about 80% of his work, you won't find his number on yell, his work is all repeat customers or word of mouth, so if you want his number I can get it for you.

Paul.

Senninha
30-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi Sharon & Ian,

Before you get to painting the NSX I would without hesitation recomend that you talk to Kelly Harris of KDS. He's the other end of the island to you being based in Gillingham.

He has been in the business of high car paint and restoration for 18yrs. He and his father have paint, restoration and engineering facilities as well as a wheel refurb company (not owned) but literally next door so can refurb, color change or enhance the wheels to your preference.

Have a look at his website www.kdskeltec.co.uk (http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk) or call 01634 581560. In particular look for the video/pictures of his wet sanding detailing.

When you have a look, you will see a Le Mans blue M3, this is his own (now supercharged) car. I think theres also a metallic yellow Muci that he did the paint on himself.

A really nice guy, very knowledgeable and a car nut which helps too! I'd be pretty confident that he could correct most of the OEM paint and where necessary, paint so that you would not know yourself. Its obviously only my opinion, but I would rather spend a couple of £k's having it fully restored and thereby preserving the originality of the NSX, rather than a repaint.

Hope this helps

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
30-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Sharon,

Before you get to painting the NSX I would without hesitation recomend that you talk to Kelly Harris of KDS. He's the other end of the island to you being based in Gillingham.

He has been in the business of high car paint and restoration for 18yrs. He and his father have paint, restoration and engineering facilities as well as a wheel refurb company (not owned) but literally next door so can refurb, color change or enhance the wheels to your preference.

Have a look at his website www.kdskeltec.co.uk (http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk) or call 01634 581560. In particular look for the video/pictures of his wet sanding detailing.

When you have a look, you will see a Le Mans blue M3, this is his own (now supercharged) car. I think theres also a metallic yellow Muci that he did the paint on himself.

A really nice guy, very knowledgeable and a car nut which helps too! I'd be pretty confident that he could correct most of the OEM paint and where necessary, paint so that you would not know yourself. Its obviously only my opinion, but I would rather spend a couple of £k's having it fully restored and thereby preserving the originality of the NSX, rather than a repaint.

Hope this helps

regards, Paul

KDS always get good recommendations on PistonHeads. I only work 5 mins away so happy to check on your NSX :D

Dragonlady
30-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.
As we have all the documented history for the car from new, we know that the first owner had some correctional work carried out due to vandels and to be honest the job is not 100%. There are imperfections in the paint and as he could not match in the colour he blew over the whole car without removing things like mirrors. There are a few scratches on some of the panels when you look carefully.
It's just that every time I wash the car I see them and they drive me crazy! Hence the respray.

Thanks again Ian

Senninha
30-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I'd still talk to Kelly if you want it painted properly. The paintshop he and his dad ran is now run by people they trained. He would most likely strip and rebuild it and would then detail it before handing it back to you looking better than new.

regards, Paul

AR
30-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Have you tried a detail first?

Dragonlady
31-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Have you tried a detail first?

Some of the imperfections can only be resolved by a respray as it looks like somthing was dropped on the bonnet and rear wing unfortunately. And where the bumper was blown over there are hairs in it!

NSXGB
31-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Some of the imperfections can only be resolved by a respray as it looks like somthing was dropped on the bonnet and rear wing unfortunately. And where the bumper was blown over there are hairs in it!

Sounds like it needs Immac instead of T-Cut....