PDA

View Full Version : TEIN coilovers?

Tom_
20-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Have people had bad experiences with Tein coilovers on their NSX?

I was vaguely intending to fit some at some point, as a mate had some Flex (with EDFC) on his 200sx a few years ago, and they were superb.

A quick search on here reveals a few comments, which are mainly negative. What's the story? :)

Senninha
20-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Tom,

Generally lower build quality then you would really want on the NSX. One set I saw recently being removed had only been on for a few years. They had significant rusting and leaks, and this was on a low use car.

What's you reason for changing? How are you using the car? Answers to these will enable you to get a wider view of products on the market.

HTH

forumadmin
20-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I had TEIN RA. I thought they were good when I put them on. They bounce a lot, they made the back end of the car very loose. The adjustment for damping didn't do much, and you don't know if you are adjusting high or low speed bump or rebound or what.

I then changed to Comptech Pro's. Although the spring rates are higher than the TEINs the ride was sooooo much better. The quality of the KONI dampers makes all the difference.

I used my car on the track a lot, the Comptech's made it like a different car. They have obviously done their research, and tested the products.

TEIN don't make the RA anymore. I don't know what the flex systems are like. I guess designed to give a more sporty 'feel'.

And yes, the alloy used on the RA corroded and was eating away badly. I think the flex are steel though.

NSXGB
20-02-2010, 03:05 PM
There's a set of used NA1 Type-R shocks & springs on ebay at the moment if you are interested...

Rob_Fenn
21-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Tein is for boy racers really. There is no real development involved.

Ultimately it depends what you want to use the car for, but at least Nitrons are aluminium so won't rust (pretty much all coilovers will rust and seize if you don't take them off and clean them a couple of times a year).

Currently have coilovers by the same manufacturers who do the Super GT cars. Amazing on track, but yet to try them on the road so can't recommend them.

Otherwise there is the KW V3 which is pretty good as a road biased coilover, much better spec than Tein anyway.

rsevo6
21-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a set of low use (about 5000 Km) Bilsteins + set H&R springs for sale if interested

Sudesh
21-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I have Endless Zeal Aluminium Suspension. Although its a nice setup, I find the spring is just a tad harsh and have though about changing many times but never got round to it. I spied the NSX-R suspension and quite like the idea of going for that to tie in with my NSX-R mods.

Tom_
21-02-2010, 01:34 PM
How are you using the car?It will be primarily a road car, but with the possibility of more challenging moments - mainly the 'Ring and possibly trackdays, depending on what I do with me Elise. This was partly why the Teins initially appealed - the EDFC unit gives easy damping adjustability for different driving.

Looking at past discussions, the type-S suspension is well spoken of; however, I can't really afford lower suspension until a move house - the splitter is gently scraping the ground at the bottom of my drive as it is!

NSXGB
21-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Looking at past discussions, the type-S suspension is well spoken of; however, I can't really afford lower suspension until a move house - the splitter is gently scraping the ground at the bottom of my drive as it is!

I fitted the Type-S suspension last year (Andy at Vtec will sort you out). I was actually looking forward to the car sitting 15mm lower but in reality it looks exactly the same to me. This suggests that my old suspension had probably sagged over 16 years to the same height it is now with the new stuff....If you want me to take some measurements from floor to top of arch it's no problem.

Rob_Fenn
22-02-2010, 09:47 AM
NSX-R suspension is bad choice if you predominantly use the car for road use, IMO.

Papalazarou
22-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I fitted the Type-S suspension last year (Andy at Vtec will sort you out). I was actually looking forward to the car sitting 15mm lower but in reality it looks exactly the same to me. This suggests that my old suspension had probably sagged over 16 years to the same height it is now with the new stuff....If you want me to take some measurements from floor to top of arch it's no problem.

So what's the Type-S suspension like over stock?

Cheers,

James.

markc
22-02-2010, 12:06 PM
So what's the Type-S suspension like over stock?

Cheers,

James.

Much better ;)

This has been discussed before (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4862&highlight=suspension) but it'd be useful to hear NSXGB's observations.

In many ways it's more like modern sportscars which have been getting more and more firmly suspended over the years. Your recent experience with the 997 and test drives of GT3's will confirm this.

It depends what you're after, the NSX has always been praised for it's ride quality and you're going to lose some of that but if you're after something more capable when you're in the mood to attack a road it's terrific :)

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
22-02-2010, 06:49 PM
My observations may be slightly tainted as my old suspension was probably more worn out than I thought for a direct comparison...
Obviously it's a firmer ride but after what I had read I was expecting a bit more, so pleasantly surprised.
Further than that I can't say at the moment as the weather has not been best suited for a proper test. Hope to get on a track day soon to have a proper go.

AR
22-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Way to many variables guys, don't forget that the shocks/springs is only a part of a whole system. IMHO the first suspension mod should be a tidy alignenment.

markc
22-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Way to many variables guys, don't forget that the shocks/springs is only a part of a whole system. IMHO the first suspension mod should be a tidy alignenment.

Well yes but I think the question was really how do undamaged, not worn out and properly aligned suspension options, specifically the Tien package, work on the NSX.

I think there's a reasonable chance that James will ensure the alignment on his car is correct ;)

Cheers

Mark

AR
22-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Well yes but I think the question was really how do undamaged, not worn out and properly aligned suspension options, specifically the Tien package, work on the NSX.

I think there's a reasonable chance that James will ensure the alignment on his car is correct ;)

Cheers

Mark

Well to the original poster, people are happy with TEIN in the US, granted is not the most expensive, but is not the cheaper either. Kev and others have had the system suffer from corrosion.

As for the normal vs NSX-R I can say that the R is great on motorways but literally a pain on our lovely well maintained roads.

Even with a standard suspension, if certain other supportive mods are done, chassis bars etc the car is transformed. With my aero package the car feels a hell of a lot more planted than a stock NSX-R. The fatsre you go the more it sucks to the tarmac. :)

markc
23-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Even with a standard suspension, if certain other supportive mods are done, chassis bars etc the car is transformed.

It sounds like I'm just looking for ways to argue with you AR but I promise I'm not :)

My own experience with adding the NSX-R chassis bars to my car (a JDM Type S) is less positive. Not negative but I really couldn't notice any difference.

This is a bit odd as the theory behind them must be that the standard body isn't quite stiff enough to allow firmer suspension to work properly. However the Type S suspension is significantly firmer and therefore should benefit from reduced body flex.

It could be that the body structure revisions, that the NA2 car had to improve rigidity, were sufficient that chassis bars don't make a significant difference? More likely it's that I'm not a good enough driver to notice the difference :)

My comments are based on the Coupe body, obviously the Targa is quite different.

Cheers

Mark

forumadmin
23-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Well to the original poster, people are happy with TEIN in the US, granted is not the most expensive, but is not the cheaper either.

The more I read about people's opinions on what they have bought the less I tend to believe them.

Not many people will admit to a mistake. Everyone seems to think that no matter what they have bought it has 'totally transformed' the car. There is usually no evidence to support this.

I thought the TEINs made a beneficial difference when I first got them, until I put the Comptech's on. Unless someone has tried a few types how can they make a real judgement? Without track lap times, how can anything be proved anyway?

markc
23-02-2010, 11:43 AM
The more I read about people's opinions on what they have bought the less I tend to believe them.

Not many people will admit to a mistake. Everyone seems to think that no matter what they have bought it has 'totally transformed' the car. There is usually no evidence to support this.

I thought the TEINs made a beneficial difference when I first got them, until I put the Comptech's on. Unless someone has tried a few types how can they make a real judgement? Without track lap times, how can anything be proved anyway?

It's true that most people don't like to admit their mistakes, especially whey they've spent a lot of money on making it.

Of course if the old suspension was completely shot i.e. broken spring/s, knackered shock absorbers, then brand new ones of any make and type would be an improvement.

W.R.T track lap times I would contend that only a bumpy circuit with some broken surfaces, lateral ridges and camber changes would really show this up for a road car. Apparently there's one in Northwest Germany ;) A normal super smooth race circuit would always favour really stiff suspension which won't translate to good on-road pace.

Cheers

Mark

AR
23-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It could be that the body structure revisions, that the NA2 car had to improve rigidity, were sufficient that chassis bars don't make a significant difference?

Cheers

Mark

More than likely that could be the case Mark, I wonder if Kaz or Detlef would know if the body of the NA2 R is an NA1 coupe going by the serial numbers it seems so except for the NA2 prefix there are not many numbers in between?

AR
23-02-2010, 12:11 PM
A normal super smooth race circuit would always favour really stiff suspension which won't translate to good on-road pace.

Cheers

Mark

Or the really smooth highways they have in some areas of the US?

NSXGB
23-02-2010, 03:49 PM
My own experience with adding the NSX-R chassis bars to my car (a JDM Type S) is less positive. Not negative but I really couldn't notice any difference.

When adding the Type-R chassis bars, I noticed that my (Non Power assisted) steering was slightly lighter but nothing more than that.

Noticable improvements were made though by adding the Type-R front ARB. Pleasing for such a cheap mod.

markc
24-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Noticable improvements were made though by adding the Type-R front ARB. Pleasing for such a cheap mod.

Interesting. Do you have the Type S rear ARB as well or still standard?

The NSX-R (both NA1 & NA2) setup uses thicker front ARB and standard rear, while the Type S uses a standard front ARB and thicker rear.

In theory you should have dialed in more understeer. This should be compounded as you also have the bigger >2002 rear tyres.

How does it feel in practice?

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
24-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I still have the standard rear bar. You are right, there is very slightly more under steer from what I can tell so far. I have plans to get the Type-S bar, it will be interesting to see the difference back to back.

PeteM
26-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I have fitted a Type R front anti roll bar and chassis bars and for me it helped the front end turn in making it feel more precise. Roundabouts were the best place to show this.

On a bumpy b-road I will have to say the Type R anti roll bar does make the front end feel a bit skittish over bumps when cornering but on a good surfaced road or track the benefit shines through. It's a well worthwhile modification in my opinion but depends what sort of driving you intend to do.

Regards

Pete.

Tom_
07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Right... so if not the TEINs, and not wanting to spend the earth (ref: Comptech Pros at $3k!), then what?

I'm currently reluctant to go much firmer than the standard suspension, given the utterly appalling state of the roads at the moment :no:

AR
07-03-2010, 05:51 PM
What is wrong with OEM for now?

dan the man
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
stick with OEM. Unless your spending good money dont bother. things are cheap for a reason remember. dont compromise. If its worth doing its worth doing right. Its an NSX not a nova FFS.........

I thought the chassis bars made the front end more direct for sure on my nsx. Enjoyed them overall for an easy mod.

On my DC5 i just put springs on thinking ahh it will be ok.... it was ok for the ring i guess and blatting about but it was crashy as hell. U get used to it of course and think its ok, but when u get in a car with REALLY good suspension u think twice about what u should have done in the first place.

case in point DC2 suspension.... standard is perfect. 80 ring laps, 2 DC2s proved to me that that car came out the factory SO right. DC5 was too soft overal... how they can get one so right than other wrong annoys me... ( the old wishbones vs mscphereson debate)

Senninha
07-03-2010, 06:49 PM
What is wrong with OEM for now?

Tom,

As above, unless you're prepared to invest good money you will IMO only make things worse. If you really want stiffer than OEM then go on the hunt for Type S set up. It occasionally comes up fo sale on Prime or Yahoo Japan.

But the questions are why do you want to change? What is actually wrong with your NSX? Where do you use it that you feel it doesn't cope well?

Mine has OEM shocks/springs but I've added R chassis bars, R front bar and Type S rear. It covers her majestys black top a at very good rate of knots and showed a clean pair of exhaust tips to a new shape M3 this morning :)

At the end of the day its your car so you can do want you want. But if you haven't had it long, then I'd strongly urge you to enjoy it as is for a few thousand miles and get to know it. It worked for me, togetherer with meeting and talking to other owners long before I started tweaking to my liking. I now have a car that rides with OEM comfort but can play hard when I'm in the mood.

Happy motoring and modding

Regards, Paul

NSXGB
07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Agree with what's been said above, try it for a while then decide what you need \ want to do.

What's your budget?

Senninha
10-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Tom,

If you cant wait then here's a rare opporrtunity for you ....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133797

But be warrned, this is VERY stiff set up forr daily use. It will reward well on smooth new tarmac or track, but over bumpy B roads I hope you have lots of head room ;)

regards,

Paul

NSXGB
10-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Tom,

If you cant wait then here's a rare opporrtunity for you ....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133797

The set on ebay is way cheaper than that.

Another alternative for you if you want a slightly stiffer setup without breaking the bank, try the Bilsteins. If you look on Kaz's thread he fitted some to a customers car a while ago.

Senninha
12-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Someone mention Bilsteins?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133873

:)

NSXGB
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Not much more for a brand spanking / guaranteed set - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/bilstein-front-heavy-duty-shock-acura-nsx-9102-p-28165.html?currency=GBP&osCsid=hm4i82ummui1t0e83j8sotbqs0

:)