PDA

View Full Version : Procar bits & big brakes

Lankstarr
20-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Guys,

I'm after a procar NA2 facelift bonnet, R-wing with LED (phase 2 I guess but I dunno what the difference is) and possibly the rear window garnish as well.

I'd like all in cf and in good nick as I'd like to put them on the car unsprayed. I also do not want to pay full whack on them so if anyone comes across any second hand items and could let me know that would be most appreciated.

I don't know if there are high quality alternatives that fit well but I may also consider these. The fit is very important though as gaps will defeat the point of the upgrade.

If anyone can recommend some big brakes that would be good as well. Would I be best to get 6 pot calipers under the 17's? I've no idea but would alos like to start looking into this.

Any help or advice would go down a treat!

Thanks,

Luke

Senninha
20-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Procar you know will fit right and his service is A1 for sure.

DF is an alternative ... talk to Rob Fenn about quality and service as they just installed a load of DF gear on the race car.

Why big brakes? Looks or performance? Detlef does an AP disc upgrade to fill the wheels f&r .. he has threads on this plus recently had some movit BBk for sale http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7388

HTH

Paul

Lankstarr
20-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the link Paul. I want to get the car looking right first then will consider a couple of performance upgrades in 12 months or so. I'd like some feedback from others that have done s lot of brake research to see what verdicts they came to for a good price/ performance compromise.

Detlef's second hand brakes look good but i'd like to know more before jumping in. I thought I should be looking for 6pot callipers for the best performance?

Thanks,
luke

NSXGB
20-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Luke, there is a second hand procar face lift bonnet in the for sale section at the moment.

Lankstarr
20-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Someone from this forum has already purchased it!

I'll check out Robs DF bits at Japfest assuming he's bringing the matt black beastie.

Cheers
L

AR
20-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Luke, there is a second hand procar face lift bonnet in the for sale section at the moment.

I already mentioned that to the Lankster, but I think luke is looking for straight CF.

Luke don't go for bling, go for oomph!

Lankstarr
20-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Looks like the bonnet has been removed all together... Appearing on an NA2 near you soon lol

(not mine unfortunately!)

oomph will come in good time, I'm not 100% convinced by the sc route esp if it leaves you short of 400. I'm happy with the NA speed for now but would love the R looks if the finish was right.

L*

AR
20-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Looks like the bonnet has been removed all together... Appearing on an NA2 near you soon lol

(not mine unfortunately!)

oomph will come in good time, I'm not 100% convinced by the sc route esp if it leaves you short of 400. I'm happy with the NA speed for now but would love the R looks if the finish was right.

L*

Am I going to have to "convince" you LOL.

Believe you must in my best Yoda Impersonation.

For everyday SC is great, just today I streched it's legs and it was fun.

Can't wait for the Big T!

NSXGB
21-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Which car have you bought Luke? Don't leave us hanging. :)

forumadmin
21-03-2010, 08:53 AM
I thought I should be looking for 6pot callipers for the best performance?

Thanks,
luke

6 pot - 4 pot, doesn't make that much difference. The small tyres on the front of an NSX, are overwhelmed by 4 pots easily. It's all about the balance front to rear.

The 4 pot calipers on J14, have the same piston size as standard, but with bigger discs, there was no shortage of stopping power. Really there's no need to be excessive.

Rob_Fenn
21-03-2010, 03:27 PM
The more pots, the better the distribution and feel you get. Ultimately you can only brake as much as there is grip, so you can get the standard setup performing well, but the feel is on/off. Thing is, if you don't track the car i'd question the point of getting massive calipers. Of course i'd recommend AP after going through development with them...

The Downforce stuff fits well and is good value.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/P1070156.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/P1070131.jpg

NoelWatson
21-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the link Paul. I want to get the car looking right first then will consider a couple of performance upgrades in 12 months or so. I'd like some feedback from others that have done s lot of brake research to see what verdicts they came to for a good price/ performance compromise.

Thanks,
luke

http://1017.org/nsx/BrakeMods/index.html

Anyone looked at this?

Silver Surfer
21-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Now everyone will be after a 97+ front rotor and caliper setup!

SS

markc
21-03-2010, 07:59 PM
The more pots, the better the distribution and feel you get. Ultimately you can only brake as much as there is grip, so you can get the standard setup performing well, but the feel is on/off. Thing is, if you don't track the car i'd question the point of getting massive calipers. Of course i'd recommend AP after going through development with them...

Lots of smaller pots allow a longer thinner pad. However the more of the disc you cover with brake pad the harder it is to cool it.

Also remember that 4 pot fixed (or 6 or 8) calipers have the same braking effort as 2 (or 3 or 4) pot sliding calipers, as in the former the pistons just oppose each other. (Assumes they have the same size pistons)

http://1017.org/nsx/BrakeMods/index.html

Anyone looked at this?

That's a good article and highlights how important it is to get the heat away from the brake pad and area of the disc directly under it.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
21-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Luke,

NA2 R slotted discs, regular new OEM fluids, fully serviced system, Project Mu pads and Over sized deflectors = repeated solid feel, no fade over 100 miles of quick A & B road driving with the occasional partial locking inside rear wheel running on 17/18 combo.

If I felt the need to do anymore in the future then I'd look for larger discs F&R to retain the balance and offer greater heat dissipation, and maybe higher temp fluid.

regards, Paul

Lankstarr
22-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Just spent 20 mins typing a reply on my phone only to lose it grrrrrrrr will respond later from a more reliable terminal!

markc
22-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Luke,

NA2 R slotted discs, regular new OEM fluids, fully serviced system, Project Mu pads and Over sized deflectors = repeated solid feel, no fade over 100 miles of quick A & B road driving with the occasional partial locking inside rear wheel running on 17/18 combo.

If I felt the need to do anymore in the future then I'd look for larger discs F&R to retain the balance and offer greater heat dissipation, and maybe higher temp fluid.

regards, Paul

Absolutely agree about fresh pads and fluid. Fluid at least annually and before every track session if you're doing them. I also have positive experience with Project Mu pads and run bigger deflectors in the form of the aluminium Dali ones shown in the linked article.

Do we know what the real difference is for the NA2R discs, other than having slots? It's been shown many times that there is no performance difference between plain, slotted or drilled discs surfaces, other than the fact that drilled ones tend to crack sooner. I smell snake oil :)

Standard NSX brakes in good condition are indeed up to fast road use but not hard circuit work, especially if you're running softer/track day tyres that will give you more braking grip. The latter does not include a single 20 min blast annually at Castle Coombe ;)

IMHO it's not worth putting "better" calipers over standard sized discs. It's the ability to dissipate energy, in the form of heat, that you're after and this is primarily a factor of the disc area. My first proper upgrade would be (and will be one day) to go to the Racing Brake Oversized setup (324mm front, 330mm rear) that retains the standard NSX caliper. If you're still able to outbrake the car then go to bigger calipers over the bigger discs :)

Cheers

Mark