PDA

View Full Version : Price advice reqd

dave100
24-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Im a bit green to the world of NSXs but am thinking of purchasing one. Im currently looking at a silver 1992 manual. The details are:

94000 mls
completely stock
service history 'misplaced' but a letter has been written to the previous owner to forward it on. The dealer says its impossible to get the book stamped up as merc/bmw can do-is this tru?
has been crashed at some point-inner wing replaced!
Reg A18 NSX
£12950

Can anyone check this cars history for me (surely the dealer can do this for me) or offer any advice? im thinking i can get it cheaper but i wil prob be stuck wth it, if it has been registered cat c or d :?

MattS
24-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Dave,

This sounds very cheap indeed - although the price would reflect a lack of SH and insurance write-off damage.

It ought to be quite easy to check whether it has been written off or not using a website such as www.hpicheck.com or similar.

Personally I would check the SH (if you ever get hold of the documents) by phoning the people who supposedly did the work. The general advice seems to be to avoid NSXs without a guaranteed/proven FSH unless you are prepared for some very large bills.

This still leaves the accident damage - if a wing's been replaced, there's a good chance that the suspension was damaged and that this hasn't been sorted out - this could cost megabucks!

If everything checks out, I would finally get an approved NSX-Honda garage to do a once-over for you. This might cost £100, but at least they will get it up on the ramp and have a good look around, (AA and RAC checks probably won't be able to do this).

Good luck and happy shopping. Let us know what you find.

DAVEMAT
25-09-2005, 05:11 AM
I got the RAC to do a check on mine it cost around 400 pound, they went to the far end of a fart, aswell as everything mechanical, the report includes every stone chip, scuff on seats etc, they book them in at a local garage to get them up on a ramp, do a 20 min road test, they also informed me of missing documentation (which I have since recieved). So if there isn't a local NSX garage near you this could be the way to go.

Best of luck