PDA

View Full Version : Keep your cars covered - volcanic ash!

WhyOne?
15-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Here is a warning you don't get every day!

There is a cloud of volcanic ash passing over the UK at the moment from the recent eruption on Iceland. Whilst its main impact is to cause massive flight disruption, it is also worth bearing in mind the highly abrasive qualities of volcanic ash. It is much worse than sand, for example, which has rounded particles. Volcanic ash particles are jiggedy-jaggedy (technically speaking!)

I don't know that there will be fallout from this cloud as it passes the UK (if it rains, I would have thought this highly likely), but it may be worth keeping the car under cover as much as possible over the next day or three.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

No, April 1st has been and gone!

AR
15-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Car is safe in the garage. I was wondering about this today. I saw a program on Discovery were an airliners windscreen was "sandblasted" as it travel through some Volcanic ash.

Cheers for the warning,

AR

A.S. Motorsport
15-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I heard the same thing on the Radio although they said it might remain at high altitudes over main land Europe,

Anyway volcanic ash is nasty stuff gets every where and like said is like sand paper.

Just look for that picture of the British Airways 747 that flew trough a cloud it was literally sandblasted all paint stripped & the aluminium polished.

Senninha
15-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I too was listening to the radio. The chap from NASA was saying the main risk is that volcanic ash melts at around 1100'. Transatlantic jet engines run at 1400', so when the two collide the result is a sticky mess that causes the aircraft to loose thrust and potential jets altogether ... which is not good.

SILVER BULLET
16-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Dust !! Thats nothing, I had packets of frozen peas,Gateaux, even frozen fish and chips falling from the sky all around me today :eek:

Apparently it was the fall out from Iceland :laugh:.

WhyOne?
16-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Ash descending in significant quantities in parts of Scotland and northern England.....it is essentially tiny shards of glass, so treat with great care (and large volumes of water!)

NSX 2000
16-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Dust !! Thats nothing, I had packets of frozen peas,Gateaux, even frozen fish and chips falling from the sky all around me today :eek:

Apparently it was the fall out from Iceland :laugh:.

I like it

LOL :laugh:

Boomin33
18-04-2010, 03:20 PM
literally sandblasted all paint stripped & the aluminium polished.

personally, I think the polished aluminium sounds like a good look. You could park next to a Matte Black NSX for effect.