PDA

View Full Version : NSX now one of the 100 coolest car

Silver Surfer
25-04-2010, 12:11 AM
http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=147883627&page=42

SS

WhyOne?
25-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Whilst I questioned the NSX's place in the recent top 100 most beautiful cars, I don't doubt it is one of the 100 coolest cars on the planet.

(Still think these lists are random clap-trap though!)

JQD84983
25-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Whilst I questioned the NSX's place in the recent top 100 most beautiful cars,

Whilst I take your point to a degree there are not many circa 1991 cars that still look as fresh IMHO

AR
25-04-2010, 08:36 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/SharkyUK/Motorsport/for_ary.jpg

Considering that my NSX was not a minute without a visitor at the Action Day and they were all taking photos I will agree. :)

gumball
25-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Whilst I take your point to a degree there are not many circa 1991 cars that still look as fresh IMHO

People are generally gobsmacked when I say my car is eighteen years old. :)

Nick Graves
25-04-2010, 11:19 AM

...and most post-2001 cars look like trolls!

Low Flyer
25-04-2010, 11:23 AM
If your car is eighteen years old----you must be VERY old !!!

ps I was bombed out THREE times in WW 1. Sorry, I mean 2. That must make me "crowding 50". And I am sticking to it ! J.C.

TheSebringOne
25-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Ary, the car is looking cool & very purposeful ! :)

Nick, I can't see why post 01 or you mean 02+ looks like trolls?

havoc
25-04-2010, 08:57 PM
It depends on who you're asking:-
- Petrolheads DO think the NSX is cool. Definitely, undoubtedly.
- Non-petrolheads probably think the NSX is desperately un-cool - to them it looks like a copy of an old (and hence uncool) Ferrari and it's a Honda - which can never be cool as it's not German or Italian (or possibly old-school Brit).

AR
25-04-2010, 09:25 PM
- Non-petrolheads probably think the NSX is desperately un-cool - to them it looks like a copy of an old (and hence uncool) Ferrari and it's a Honda - which can never be cool as it's not German or Italian (or possibly old-school Brit).

Where did you get that idea from??? The Top Gear wall. :)

Non petrol heads not even got a clue what an NSX is, and lots of them have mentioned to me personally how much they like evry one of the NSXs I have had.

Silver Surfer
25-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Considering that my NSX was not a minute without a visitor at the Action Day and they were all taking photos I will agree. :)

That looks well cool!!!!
Any more pic Ary from other angles.....not able to attend Japfest to appreciate in the metal!

SS

AR
25-04-2010, 10:07 PM
That looks well cool!!!!
Any more pic Ary from other angles.....not able to attend Japfest to appreciate in the metal!

SS

Cheers SS I forgot to take any pictures of my car so I am awaiting other that pop up on a few sites I frequent. Sadly I am also unable to attend Japfest due to business.

havoc
26-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Where did you get that idea from??? The Top Gear wall. :)

Non petrol heads not even got a clue what an NSX is, and lots of them have mentioned to me personally how much they like evry one of the NSXs I have had.
Correct about them not knowing what it is...but (a) when you have to explain, it's not cool; and (b) a lot of the comments I've had (certainly from work) are "Why didn't you get a Porsche/BMW?"

Also, if it was a genuinely cool car to the non-cognoscenti:-
- why are/were there no posters of it?
- why did it sell so abysmally?

AR
26-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Correct about them not knowing what it is...but (a) when you have to explain, it's not cool; and (b) a lot of the comments I've had (certainly from work) are "Why didn't you get a Porsche/BMW?"

Never had that comment regarding the NSX, I did get a comment back when I lived in the US in the early 90s and bought a SWB Z32. " Why did you not get a Corvette?"

Also, if it was a genuinely cool car to the non-cognoscenti:-
- why are/were there no posters of it?

There are, lots of them, but I don't think we are in the analog age where kids hang posters from the walls as I used to. ( 911 slant nose and testarossa were on my wall )

- why did it sell so abysmally?

They sold quite a few in the US, and don't forget how crap £££ the early 90s were.

gumball
26-04-2010, 07:21 AM
"when you have to explain, it's not cool"
..is a Clarksonism that happens to be bollocks, ;)

WhyOne?
26-04-2010, 08:15 AM
.......b) a lot of the comments I've had (certainly from work) are "Why didn't you get a Porsche/BMW?"

That fact alone makes the NSX cool.

Like beauty, however, 'coolness' is also highly subjective.

havoc
26-04-2010, 08:35 AM
That fact alone makes the NSX cool.

Only to cognoscenti.

How many women want an NSX? vs how many want a Boxster/Cayman/Z4/X5 etc...

But yes, coolness is definitely subjective...and I'd suggest that this forum may be slightly biased! ;)

jaytip
26-04-2010, 10:15 AM
why did it sell so abysmally?
Trying to get people to part with more money than it cost to buy a then new 911,for something wearing a Honda badge.
I drive a Skoda Superb for work(new shape which just won What Car luxury car of the year) and it's a fantastic,roomy comfortable car,but unfortunately it still wears that badge,and that it enough to put people off.

m666 edd
26-04-2010, 11:46 AM
The nsx could probably do well in a top geeky car line up :D

Nick Graves
26-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Ary, the car is looking cool & very purposeful ! :)

Nick, I can't see why post 01 or you mean 02+ looks like trolls?

I think you thought I meant NSXs - I was referring to modern cars. All of them, apart form a few such as the Lotus Evora.

The S2000 and RX-8 looked fantastic, but gradually cars have become desperately overworked and oversized and rather desperately trying to disguise that so much plank-sharing goes on underneath.

NSXs have an almost timeless beauty, partially because they were slightly understyled when new. What the hacks called 'bland' has aged unbelievably gracefully. I an only sorry they couldn't justify re-engineering it instead of killing it, since only Honda-obsessives and the enlightened actually bought them.

I actually thought the 02 NSX facelift was a wonderfully subtle facelift - if not quite as 'pretty' was the original, I appreciate the better aerodynamics and the weight/complexity-saving headlamps. I really don't have a 'favourite' NSX though; the 3.0s seem a little less refined & more tactile (a good thing), the facelifts just look superbly modern. Probably the early 3.2s are the 'best' NSX (I think the smaller wheels benefit feel over the 17" cars) but the supply/demand thing is getting daft.

If I went really nuts, I'd have an example of every type!!

AR
26-04-2010, 02:30 PM
If I went really nuts, I'd have an example of every type!!
In a sense I have had 4 different NSX!

Time to call a shrink or join NSXholics Anonimous! :)

Still fancy an S2K for the summer but my 1983 RX7 is taking care of the front engine RWD fun and the pop up withdrawals.

JQD84983
26-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Trying to get people to part with more money than it cost to buy a then new 911,for something wearing a Honda badge.

I also think that when someone wants to part with that kind of money they want to do two things:

1. Test drive
2. Get it ASAP

The NSX fell down on both, there were limited dealer cars and you had to order and wait a few months. For me that was a big factor as well.

gcon45
26-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Ary - that is bloody amazing looking!

Silver isn't supposed to show that much gloss!

Seats and bonnet look the absolute ticket too.

Credit to you mate :thumbsup:

AR
26-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Ary - that is bloody amazing looking!

Silver isn't supposed to show that much gloss!

Seats and bonnet look the absolute ticket too.

Credit to you mate :thumbsup:

Cheers mate I think the Zymol paid off LOL