PDA

View Full Version : NSX to NSX R

rocco1
29-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Hello all,i want to turn my NSX into NSX R replica,so where do i buy all the bits,has anyone got any parts for sale? also where do i buy de-cat pipes and a good air intake or induction.

gcon45
29-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Hello all,i want to turn my NSX into NSX R replica,so where do i buy all the bits,has anyone got any parts for sale? also where do i buy de-cat pipes and a good air intake or induction.

Sudesh is the man you want to talk to about this.

He has modified his NA1 to be a true NA1-R and is almost there.

Most of the bits you need can be found here:

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse.cfm?ID=18

Prepare the credit card for a good old bashing though!

Sudesh
29-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Connor for the mention!

NSX-R replica...........where to begin?..............Well if going down the TRUE NSX-R route, then patience and £££ is the the only advise I can give. Although the patience thing didnt work for me lol

Really depends on what you want to achieve? How close to NSX-R look you want? Are you looking for pre-facelift or Facelift look?

My car is pre-facelift; I didnt start out on an NSX-R quest, but the more I read and the more pics I viewed and info from members, I got captured by the whole idea of sticking to OEM NSX-R parts. I have quite a bit to go yet but have done allot to date.

Really depends on you.

jaytip
29-04-2010, 10:40 PM
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse.cfm?ID=18

Well first off,give this guy a miss,because he is a thief.
If you have plenty of cash and want excellent quality NSX-R parts then use Procar(they are listed on this site)
I believe all his NSX-R parts are moulded off genuine items and the quality is OEM standard.

gcon45
29-04-2010, 10:46 PM

:eek: really?

I've dealt with them a few times now and have had no issues.

Sudesh
29-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree! In the past 3/4 years I have dealt with Dali, I have never had any problems, infact I have just today received an order for NSX-R items that I placed last week! I also know other guys based here that have bought from dali and never had an issues! But I guess we all have our own experiences.

If buying from procar then I agree, PLENTY of cash needed.

If you have plenty of cash and want excellent quality NSX-R parts then use Procar(they are listed on this site)
I believe all his NSX-R parts are moulded off genuine items and the quality is OEM standard.

AR
30-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Don't bother with the intake, test pipes only will mean MOT headache for your year.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
30-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Hi,

It will really depend on how far you intend to go as the ££ investment required to fulfil your replica objective.

If you have the facelift then I would move quickly to obtain the Procar bonnet on sale on the forum right now.

As said above, if you want OEM fitment then Procar in Germany is the way forward. Detlef owns a very special NSX and is well connected to the Honda R&D centre, hence he has been able to 'borrow' moulds to ensure his parts are as close to OEM as is possible to acheive.

If you are not so worried about fitment and can wait for parts to be made & shipped from the US, then have a look at ScienceofSpeed.com They actually offer an NSX-R package upgrade for 02 cars and have now launched seats as well.

As for Dali, he's fine until he has a bad day. They will be no reasoning with the guy which is a shame. For me, I'm no longer prepared to deal with someone who I needed to get the local Sherrif involved to secure the release of items for myself and other members. Others use him regularly, as did I before this incident, with no issues.

Like Sudesh I didn't aim to replicate the NSX-R, but as I followed the OEM upgrade path, the more the R began to feature.

All the best

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 07:42 AM
If you have the facelift then I would move quickly to obtain the Procar bonnet on sale on the forum right now.

Surely this will increase drag, which is a no-no for VMax addicts?

rocco1
30-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the advice,I have a facelift 2003 model and all im after at the moment is to look like a NSX R form thr outside and after a better sound,the rest of the stuff can wait.This bonnet that was mentioned is it a OEM or a replica and what material is it made from also what sort of price do i pay? also has anyone got the rear spoiler? Many thanks Rocco

Sudesh
30-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Have a look here:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7724

Thanks for the advice,I have a facelift 2003 model and all im after at the moment is to look like a NSX R form thr outside and after a better sound,the rest of the stuff can wait.This bonnet that was mentioned is it a OEM or a replica and what material is it made from also what sort of price do i pay? also has anyone got the rear spoiler? Many thanks Rocco

Senninha
30-04-2010, 09:17 AM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7724

Here you go .....

NSXGB
30-04-2010, 09:26 AM
You'd probably choke if you were told the price of an oem R bonnet! (Sudesh, find out for a giggle!) If the carbon centre console is in the region of £7700, who knows what a bonnet would cost!

Procar stuff is very pricey but perfect fit, probably the best quality aftermarket you can get.

Senninha
30-04-2010, 09:50 AM
You'd probably choke if you were told the price of an oem R bonnet! (Sudesh, find out for a giggle!) If the carbon centre console is in the region of £7700, who knows what a bonnet would cost!

Procar stuff is very pricey but perfect fit, probably the best quality aftermarket you can get.

Owners in the US have paid around $10-14k for an OEM 'hood' from Japan. Depending on import duty this works out around the same as the console, which seems strange to me.

Now someone go and scare rocco1 with the OEM R seat pricing :laugh:

BTW, the Procar bonnet is dry Carbon Fibre. If you're going to paint a new one rather than leave the topside CF on display then ask Detlef to leave the gloss finish off the top to ease painting.

One other point to note is that Procar and SoS (who ship the Downforce products) supply their products with different clearcoat tints so be careful if mixing suppliers.

As NSXGB says, Procar is high quality with out of the box fitment to OEM standard but I suspect you dont mind paying for the right quality.

regards, Paul

greenberet
30-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Sorry for going off topic, but to answer Noel’s question: venting the radiator out through the hood seems to be a low-drag way to vent the cooling air, at least sometimes. I can’t seem to upload anything onto the NSXCB website at the moment, but have look at slide 34 in this presentation: http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Drag04.pdf (http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Drag04.pdf)

∆DC is the change in drag coefficient and VR/V is the volume of air flowing through the radiator. Those results won’t necessarily hold with an NSX and the effects probably depend, amongst other factors, on how smooth the upper body of a car is compared to the underbody. A VMax test with the Procar hood and the OEM hood would shed more light on the matter, but the vented hood might actually end up increasing the top speed.

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry for going off topic, but to answer Noel’s question: venting the radiator out through the hood seems to be a low-drag way to vent the cooling air, at least sometimes. I can’t seem to upload anything onto the NSXCB website at the moment, but have look at slide 34 in this presentation: http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Drag04.pdf (http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Drag04.pdf)

∆DC is the change in drag coefficient and VR/V is the volume of air flowing through the radiator. Those results won’t necessarily hold with an NSX and the effects probably depend, amongst other factors, on how smooth the upper body of a car is compared to the underbody. A VMax test with the Procar hood and the OEM hood would shed more light on the matter, but the vented hood might actually end up increasing the top speed.

IIRC the 02+ Type-R has a Cd of 0.32 whereas the "normal" 02+ has 0.3. I assumed the bonnet was the biggest change in aerodynamics, but I guess there is a fair amount more under the car.

greenberet
30-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I think you’re right about the '02+ NSX having a Cd of 0.30 and the '02+ NSX-R having 0.32.

I believe the aerodynamic differences between the two are the front undertray, vented hood, rear stump of a diffuser, rear wing, and a 10mm different ride height. The front undertray and lower ride height have to lower the NSX-R’s Cd. According to Honda, that little stump of a diffuser lowers the Cd by 0.003 as well. Which leaves the big rear wing and vented hood. The big rear wing has to increase drag so it’s unclear what impact the hood has. According to that chart I linked to, the hood may actually decrease drag further so the big rear wing would be a real boat anchor it if increases the Cd to 0.32.

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I think you’re right about the '02+ NSX having a Cd of 0.30 and the '02+ NSX-R having 0.32.

I believe the aerodynamic differences between the two are the front undertray, vented hood, rear stump of a diffuser, rear wing, and a 10mm different ride height. The front undertray and lower ride height have to lower the NSX-R’s Cd. According to Honda, that little stump of a diffuser lowers the Cd by 0.003 as well. Which leaves the big rear wing and vented hood. The big rear wing has to increase drag so it’s unclear what impact the hood has. According to that chart I linked to, the hood may actually decrease drag further so the big rear wing would be a real boat anchor it if increases the Cd to 0.32.

"that little stump of a diffuser lowers the Cd by 0.003 as well"

Is that similar to this one?

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/Procar_NSX-RR_rgt_diff_1.JPG

jaytip
30-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree! In the past 3/4 years I have dealt with Dali, I have never had any problems, infact I have just today received an order for NSX-R items that I placed last week! I also know other guys based here that have bought from dali and never had an issues! But I guess we all have our own experiences.

Sudesh i wont argue with you mate.I'm simply stating a fact.Not opinion-FACT.I paid him for goods (including the cost of shipping) and he never bothered sending them to me despite PLENTY of polite emails from me,to which he never replied,and believe me i'm not a lone victim,he has stolen from people all over the world using this method including other members of this board.
If that's not a thief,i don't know what is.

Regards,

Ivor.

greenberet
30-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Is that similar to this one?

No – in your picture Detlef has both the standard NSX-R stump mounted (the obviously carbon fiber-looking piece at just about the same height as the muffler tips) plus his own "RGT" diffuser beneath and ahead of that, which was modeled off the 2002+ NSX-R Tokyo show car prototype and never made it into production. That RGT diffuser is a real diffuser, unlike the stump.

Here is a picture of the standard 2002+ NSX-R underbody:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50780&d=1231010246

In addition, Detlef has this mounted between the rear axle and the rear bumper:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Procar_RGT_1.JPG

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 01:33 PM
No – in your picture Detlef has both the standard NSX-R stump mounted (the obviously carbon fiber-looking piece at just about the same height as the muffler tips) plus his own "RGT" diffuser beneath and ahead of that, which was modeled off the 2002+ NSX-R Tokyo show car prototype and never made it into production. That RGT diffuser is a real diffuser, unlike the stump.

Here is a picture of the standard 2002+ NSX-R underbody:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50780&d=1231010246

In addition, Detlef has this mounted between the rear axle and the rear bumper:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Procar_RGT_1.JPG

Very informative,thanks. So what is going to be the cheapest way of reducing drag in order that I can beat Paul at the next VMax?

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-04-2010, 01:57 PM
If you start talking about the aerodynamics without knowing the concept of Type-R entire package, then good starting point is to read through the following link from Honda;

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t3.html

Final ratio is also different from most of other NSX models.

Regards,
Kaz

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 02:21 PM
If you start talking about the aerodynamics without knowing the concept of Type-R entire package, then good starting point is to read through the following link from Honda;

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t3.html

Final ratio is also different from most of other NSX models.

Regards,
Kaz

I think the Type_R final drive ratio would help as my car hits peak torque at 6500 and power at 7500 (IIRC from TDI). Once we hit the limiter in 5th at 160, the revs drop to around 6500rpm.
However...I think it would cost a fair amount to change.

markc
30-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I think the Type_R final drive ratio would help as my car hits peak torque at 6500 and power at 7500 (IIRC from TDI). Once we hit the limiter in 5th at 160, the revs drop to around 6500rpm.
However...I think it would cost a fair amount to change.

Lowering the rear tyre profile from 40% to 35% would do the same thing (4% lower gearing) i.e. fitting 255x35x17 instead of 255x40x17. You should lower the front profiles to match i.e. fit 215x35x17's or 215x35x16 for us <2002 owners.

This has been discussed before, and the general consensus was that I'm crazy, but I may well try this with my next set of tyres.

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Lowering the rear tyre profile from 40% to 35% would do the same thing (4% lower gearing) i.e. fitting 255x35x17 instead of 255x40x17. You should lower the front profiles to match i.e. fit 215x35x17's or 215x35x16 for us <2002 owners.

This has been discussed before, and the general consensus was that I'm crazy, but I may well try this with my next set of tyres.

Cheers

Mark

I was thinking 10% lower

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/OS%2DGiken/differential/

Just looked on BlackCircles and there is not much available in those sizes

markc
30-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I was thinking 10% lower

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/OS%2DGiken/differential/

OK, the lower profile tyre takes it down by 4% which is the same as the NSX-R's lower diff ratio.

Just looked on BlackCircles and there is not much available in those sizes

Just Toyo Proxes and Falken 452's last time I looked but this changes all the time as the manufactures bring out new and discontinue designs.

Cheers

Mark

m666 edd
30-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Would love do one vmax event even though it's far to travel. You guys should give me warning when the next one is so I could maybe arrange something. My gearing is perfect for peak power at the top end.

NoelWatson
30-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Would love do one vmax event even though it's far to travel. You guys should give me warning when the next one is so I could maybe arrange something. My gearing is perfect for peak power at the top end.

Last time I checked Devon was in the UK - there are crazy Europeans that come over just for the event!
I will let you know when I hear of the next one. 165mph to beat.

NSX 2000
01-05-2010, 08:23 AM
165mph to beat.

Read it and weep Noel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

greenberet
01-05-2010, 08:53 AM
So what is going to be the cheapest way of reducing drag in order that I can beat Paul at the next VMax?

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any low hanging fruits you can easily implement without any negative side effects.

The traditional way to decrease the aerodynamic drag of an existing car is to lower the suspension, install narrower tires, install modified body parts such as front bumpers or side skirts, smooth the underbody, etc. That’s what Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, and others do with their high efficiency models. Since you already have a 2002+ NSX, you already have the low-drag nose and side skirts.

If you lower the suspension, you will scrape your front spoiler more in daily driving over speed bumps and entering driveways. Also, you may no longer be able to adjust the camber of your rear wheels to Honda specifications. If you install narrower tires your handling will be impacted. Building a complete front undertray will require you to crawl under your car and fabricate one. If you buy the NSX-R front undertray to avoid fabricating one on your own, you should probably also get the vented hood. The NSX-R undertray prevents air from venting into the wheel wells so there may not be enough flow through the radiator if the cooling air can’t vent through the hood. However, I’ve never seen any data whether the NSX-R vented hood actually increases or decreases drag. If you smooth the rear underbody with an undertray/diffuser, you will start scraping in the rear as you do in the front unless you install a new muffler that allows the diffuser to start it’s upsweep earlier and tuck up closer to the rear valence. To minimize aerodynamic drag, the rear undertray should cover the entire area from the fuel tank to the rear bumper and upsweep of the diffuser shouldn’t exceed 5°. None of the diffusers you can buy on the market meet either of those criteria, so you would need to build it on your own.

The easiest way I can think of to lower the drag of the car while not impacting its daily driving abilities is to buy a second set of rims and tires. On those rims, you could put skinny tires with as low of a sidewall in the front as is possible and as low of a sidewall in the rear as you want to give you the effective gearing you are looking for. And then after the VMAX event, put on your regular wheels again.

NoelWatson
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Read it and weep Noel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The mysterious, once off, 165mph, with no witnesses. How conwenient.
Bits have arrived from Brian

Senninha
01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
The mysterious, once off, 165mph, with no witnesses. How conwenient.
Bits have arrived from Brian

Are you suggesting this is now unofficial and not formely recorded by the Vmax telemetry?

NoelWatson
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Are you suggesting this is now unofficial and not formely recorded by the Vmax telemetry?

After Paul blowing us out to go for a jolly with his Honda buddies, I don't know what to think!

(he clocked 1 165 and we spent the rest of the day both getting 164s. Infuriating, but consistent).

Senninha
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Well I need to get along to the next one and we can all find out of the R aero pack works or not, even when linked to the good old pop-ups :)

greenberet
02-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Well I need to get along to the next one and we can all find out of the R aero pack works or not, even when linked to the good old pop-ups :)

I think Kaz-kzukNA1’s link to the Honda website (post #22) explains very well what Honda were aiming for with the Type-R aerodynamics package – downforce, not drag reduction. To test whether the package works, maybe you could measure how fast you can take the turn on the entry to the straight at Bruntingthorpe compared to other NSXs. Since Honda’s own data indicate that the Type-R aerodynamics package increases drag by 7%, the speed at the end of the straight should be lower than it would be otherwise.

NoelWatson
03-05-2010, 06:37 AM

I hope to get more notice next time (email problems before prior event) so we can get 3-4 of the club. The two NSXs at the last event are mentioned in EVO's article on the 9ff.

I'm hoping to have added a new car to the stable by then so may bring that along instead of NSX (or may bring both).