PDA

View Full Version : NSX Wanted - another convert!

Setanta
14-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Yet another convert to the cause. Always had them in the back of my mind and had the pleasure of going for a ride in one at Sporting Bears at Gaydon Supercar Sunday last year (silver with burgandy interior and the chap just bought it - he is a member on here?)

You only live once so thought I may as well do it now.

There seem to be a few for sale but which are not selling (why?) and I would much rather give my hard earned to another enthusiast than to a Mr Mark Up Dealer who has done nothing to the car expect stick a new advert up so not interested in that one!

I would be looking at early to mid 90's and open to manual or auto and targa or non-targa. Miles are not an issue as I would prefer to buy on condition and service history.

I am in NW8 London and see a red fixed headlap one around St Johns Wood every once in a while - nice car if you are on here.

Cheers

James

WhyOne?
14-05-2010, 11:15 AM
You may be in luck.

This is quite possibly the car you had a ride in:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1634860.htm

General concensus here is that this is a very good price for the car!

Setanta
14-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks - I have photos of the car at home so will check the rego on the home PC and see if it is the same. The fellow had only just bought it.

I think there was mention that the car you linked had had a rollcage in it? Or was a development car of some description? I will need to search the forums again since was reading them late at night when I came across that.

WhyOne?
14-05-2010, 11:50 AM
There is some discussion of the car here:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=7664&highlight=Jaguar

Paul G
14-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi,

I have a red 91 manual car with 81000 miles, FHSH that I have owned for 10 years that I may be tempted to sell!

I will send you the details later tonight.

Cheers
PG

Setanta
14-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi PG

That would be great, thanks.

Cheers

James

simonprelude
14-05-2010, 04:00 PM
The one at Gaydon was the 04 stolen recovered with the wrong interior.

AR
14-05-2010, 06:46 PM
The one at Gaydon was the 04 stolen recovered with the wrong interior.

And without VIN...

Setanta
14-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow....he did not mention that.

NSX 2000
14-05-2010, 08:28 PM
And without VIN...

Wow....he did not mention that.

WOE WOE WOE, I think you may be talking about different cars :eek:

If i've got this correct AR is talking about a 2004 car that got stolen and was stripped, and Setanta you are talking about a 97 or 98 car which Jaguar once owned?

Correct?

Setanta
14-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I do not know the year of the car I was in at Gaydon.

The silver one that is on pistonheads (I spoke to the seller today) with the red interior and ex-Jag is not the same car that I was in at Gaydon.

That is the extent of what I know.

SILVER BULLET
14-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Setanta, welcome to the club, if you really want to see some different NSX's come to Japfest tomorrow, it's at Castle Combe in Wiltshire just off junction 18 M4, there will be nearly 50 NSX's there to look at,

Good hunting,

Ian

nobby
14-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Mate

glad to hear another potential convert is in our midst. :cool:

Check out Pistonheads and contact Steve about the Yellow Targa model ... she is a very good example and has a very impressive service history ... dont think you would be unhappy re this car. :beer:

Steve is a lovely bloke too very helpful, honest and upfront which is what you want when looking at these cars

good luck in your search

regards

markc
14-05-2010, 11:19 PM
There seem to be a few for sale but which are not selling (why?) and I would much rather give my hard earned to another enthusiast than to a Mr Mark Up Dealer who has done nothing to the car expect stick a new advert up so not interested in that one!

Just because a trader buys a car to resell doesn't make it a bad car or bad purchase. The car you're talking about is a lovely example, with service excellent history and is reasonably priced.

NSX's are fairly rare so if you discount trade sales just because they're trade sales you'll be extending the time to find the car.

I would be looking at early to mid 90's and open to manual or auto and targa or non-targa. Miles are not an issue as I would prefer to buy on condition and service history.

It's unusual to not have some preference between a manual and automatic car... are you sure you're not a trader ;) (I'm only joking :))

Cheers

Mark

Setanta
14-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Just because a trader buys a car to resell doesn't make it a bad car or bad purchase. The car you're talking about is a lovely example, with service excellent history and is reasonably priced.

NSX's are fairly rare so if you discount trade sales just because they're trade sales you'll be extending the time to find the car.

It's unusual to not have some preference between a manual and automatic car... are you sure you're not a trader ;) (I'm only joking :))

Cheers

Mark

*laughing* All my cars have been auto for some years now and I quite like the 'D' and forget - quite nice just to be able to bury the throttle and shortly be sitting at 155mph (limited) as the car glides through the gears.

It is the visual look of the NSX that appeals to me, and with the speed limits in the UK I don't think it would really matter. I have a theory that if a car looked brilliant but was relatively cheap, people would not worry too much about auto/manual or lack of go. £20,000 for example would get a large number of 400hp+ German sledgehammers but I am not really looking at buying one for 'oomph' but rather the feelgood factor.

The cars I have owned (Mercedes CL's and SL's) are akin to the NSX in that they are both brilliant cars but also complex beasts with certain 'issues'. In my experience with the Mercs, I have found it far better to buy from an enthusiast than from a trader as you can find a lot more about the car, the service history etc. I spoke to one trader today on a car...I would not buy a newspaper from them :eek: As for that purple car, it looks stunning but my preference is private seller enthusiasts.

I hope that makes sense - it is nearly 1am!:snooze:

markc
15-05-2010, 03:45 AM

It certainly does but then it's barely 10.30pm here, in Houston (Texas), at the moment.

Good luck with your search, you certainly seem to after an NSX for the right reasons and I don't think you'll be disappointed when you eventually find THE car :)

Cheers

Mark

jaytip
15-05-2010, 08:41 AM
*laughing* All my cars have been auto for some years now and I quite like the 'D' and forget - quite nice just to be able to bury the throttle and shortly be sitting at 155mph (limited) as the car glides through the gears.

It is the visual look of the NSX that appeals to me, and with the speed limits in the UK I don't think it would really matter. I have a theory that if a car looked brilliant but was relatively cheap, people would not worry too much about auto/manual or lack of go. £20,000 for example would get a large number of 400hp+ German sledgehammers but I am not really looking at buying one for 'oomph' but rather the feelgood factor.

The cars I have owned (Mercedes CL's and SL's) are akin to the NSX in that they are both brilliant cars but also complex beasts with certain 'issues'. In my experience with the Mercs, I have found it far better to buy from an enthusiast than from a trader as you can find a lot more about the car, the service history etc. I spoke to one trader today on a car...I would not buy a newspaper from them :eek: As for that purple car, it looks stunning but my preference is private seller enthusiasts.

Drive a manual NSX before you choose.They have one of the best gearbox's in the world.I't's worth buying a manual just for that alone.

TheSebringOne
16-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Welcome and good luck in your search. I would try all variatons first and decide from there. :)

Setanta
24-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I drove a 1992 auto with a 'sports exhaust' this weekend.

Extremely disappointing unfortunately. Top money being asked but overall, not up to expectations.

I am sure that outside of London or on the motorway, a better idea of the performance and driving dynamics could be had but have to say that I got out thinking "Is that it?". :(

I will try and have a look at a manual and see what that is like but think I can cross off an auto at the moment.

NoelWatson
24-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, I drove a 1992 auto with a 'sports exhaust' this weekend.

Extremely disappointing unfortunately. Top money being asked but overall, not up to expectations.

I am sure that outside of London or on the motorway, a better idea of the performance and driving dynamics could be had but have to say that I got out thinking "Is that it?". :(

I will try and have a look at a manual and see what that is like but think I can cross off an auto at the moment.

Where in London are you based?

Setanta
24-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi

I am in St Johns Wood. A nice place for car spotting. Three Veyrons and two Enzo's live around here, including a few SLR's, a Porsche GT and 911's are more common than black cabs.

I know that there is at least one NSX up here (see my spotted post) so would be good to have another one to park up.

"An Enzo you say? Pah. Common as muck. Have a look at this"

;)

Rob_Fenn
24-05-2010, 08:52 PM
As has been said, the manual gearbox in the NSX is rated as one of the best of all time. The auto is also significantly slower.

It's admirable that you aren't concerned about mileage, but just remember, even if a high mileage car has excellent bodywork, the suspension and bushes will still be shagged! Consequently, a 10 year old NSX won't have the same dynamics as a new one... i know it's common sense, but it's like some people presume suspension is lifed.

markc
24-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Three Veyrons and two Enzo's live around here, including a few SLR's, a Porsche GT and 911's are more common than black cabs.;)

Saturday about 3.30pm on the M25 just past Clacket Lane tavelling anti clockwise in the wifes TT Cab roof down doing about 85mph and I spot a yellow Carrera GT "hoovering" up the ground behind me. I jump out of the way and follow for a few miles to be treated by THAT engine note as the driver heel and toe downchanged a few times to overtake.

Now I'm not a fan of the usual V10 engine note (they moan) but Porsche have done something very special with that car. If there's one car that the NSX would have to make way for that has to be it :)

Cheers

Mark

Lankstarr
24-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Just up the road from Basingstoke... Come to the meet next week if uou would like to be taken out in a manual. Either the 98 currently for sale (definitely worth a look to see what a tidy car it is) or i'll bring the 54 and take you for a spin in that to just see how much difference a manual makes. Check out 2010 events section.

Luke

WhyOne?
25-05-2010, 08:04 AM
.........follow for a few miles to be treated by THAT engine note as the driver heel and toe downchanged a few times to overtake.

Now I'm not a fan of the usual V10 engine note (they moan) but Porsche have done something very special with that car. If there's one car that the NSX would have to make way for that has to be it :)

I agree Mark - it is spectacular isn't it!

I believe Porsche developed the engine for endurance racing, but a rule change pulled the rug from under their feet. So rather than just shelve the engine, they developed the Carrera GT around it.

NoelWatson
25-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Saturday about 3.30pm on the M25 just past Clacket Lane tavelling anti clockwise in the wifes TT Cab roof down doing about 85mph and I spot a yellow Carrera GT "hoovering" up the ground behind me. I jump out of the way and follow for a few miles to be treated by THAT engine note as the driver heel and toe downchanged a few times to overtake.

Cheers

Mark

There was one at VMax a while back. He span on the corner to the main straight - had to jam on the anchors

markc
25-05-2010, 09:43 PM
There was one at VMax a while back. He span on the corner to the main straight - had to jam on the anchors

Yes, they're notoriously twitchy but when you get it just right they're faster than just about anything.

Witness the Stig lap on TG where he/she/it took several attempts to hook up a lap and evo mag's sub 1min 20 on their test circuit a few years ago, they've (evo) since re-tested another car and revised the lap time to 1.23 A bit unfair really especially as an NA car can't have the boost turned up for a "show" lap... did someone say GTR :)

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
25-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Interesting that the CGT comes with a round wooden gear knob!? :eek:

NSX 2000
26-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Interesting that the CGT comes with a round wooden gear knob!? :eek:

IMO a wooden gear knob is the best you can get, they are light, don't get cold in winter or hot in summer and if made out of maple can have a wondeful pattern, plus if you ware rings you don't get click click evrey time you hold the geare knob.

WhyOne?
26-05-2010, 10:00 AM
It is not any old wood used in the Carrera GT for the gear knob.....it is (super light) balsa!

markc
26-05-2010, 04:35 PM
It is not any old wood used in the Carrera GT for the gear knob.....it is (super light) balsa!

Just like the legendary 917 racecars used to have :)