PDA

View Full Version : SRS and Cruise fault

Lankstarr
18-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Guys,

After 4 years of faultless ownership in S5 I've developed 2 problems in the new car on the trip to Japfest; I've only done 1200 miles in it!

The SRS light keeps flashing on and off and stays on sometimes, coupled with this the cruise has stopped working!

No pattern I can see to when the light comes on but the cruise is off all of the time.

I mentioned this to Kaz and he suggested looking to see if the a/c drain pipe was blocked and if the passenger footwell was full of water. I don't really know what I'm looking for here but slid my hand under the carpet to see if it was wet and it wasn't. Do I need to dig deeper or does the added condition with the cruise control lead to a different diagnosis (I wasn't aware fo this when I mentioned it to Kaz at Japfest).

Thanks for any help, I've never seen this one before!

Luke

AR
18-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Luke IIRC the SRS and Cruise Computers are on that side, maybe take off the glovebox and have a look and see if it is wet???

Lankstarr
18-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Luke IIRC the SRS and Cruise Computers are on that side, maybe take off the glovebox and have a look and see if it is wet???

The glovebox!? Where exactly are th ecomputers then, at the top of the foot well behind the glovebox? If so I've been looking in the wrong place!

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-05-2010, 12:29 PM
...... Do I need to dig deeper or does the added condition with the cruise control lead to a different diagnosis (I wasn't aware fo this when I mentioned it to Kaz at Japfest).

Hi, Luke.

If you are now saying that the cruise control doesn't work, then it's a different story.

For a quick check, could you try to see whether your horn works or not?

Sounds like you only owned this new NSX for a short period so you may not be aware of this but does the previous owner fitted an aftermarket steering wheel in the past and then put back the OEM one when he/she sold the car to you?

There is a cable reel under the SRS airbag module inside the steering wheel and it handles the signal for the SRS airbag inflator, SET and RESUME signal for the Cruise control and the Horn.

I would first look into the area under the airbag module at the steering wheel, if this was my car. Somewhere on the cable reel or cables around that area may have intermittent connection.

You can get some idea on what I am taking about from the link below.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6367

Let me know if you need any help and probably best to contact me over email using 'send email' option when clicking on my user name.

Regards,
Kaz

Hagasan
18-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi, Luke.

If you are now saying that the cruise control doesn't work, then it's a different story.

For a quick check, could you try to see whether your horn works or not?

Sounds like you only owned this new NSX for a short period so you may not be aware of this but does the previous owner fitted an aftermarket steering wheel in the past and then put back the OEM one when he/she sold the car to you?

There is a cable reel under the SRS airbag module inside the steering wheel and it handles the signal for the SRS airbag inflator, SET and RESUME signal for the Cruise control and the Horn.

I would first look into the area under the airbag module at the steering wheel, if this was my car. Somewhere on the cable reel or cables around that area may have intermittent connection.

You can get some idea on what I am taking about from the link below.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6367

Let me know if you need any help and probably best to contact me over email using 'send email' option when clicking on my user name.

Regards,
Kaz

And I also think outside of looking under the airbag, the rear side wiring of the cable reel goes to a multiplug under the steering column?

Luke, have you kick/booted the column trim at all struggling your small svelt frame out of your car at any point?!?!

Certainly sound like a cable reel/wiring prob with the combined faults....

Gary

Lankstarr
24-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your input guys and apologies for the delayed reply!

As is typical with these issues the next time I got into the car all was well! This morning however cruise was not working and airbag light was on... the horn test threw up a positive as well so it's definitely a connection issue.

I'll have a go at looking at these connectors but cannot quite tell from the pics whether I have to take the airbag out in order to get to the connectors.

The problem is a bit more urgent now I have discovered the horn is not working as making hand gestures at everybody in my frequent fits of road rage is getting quite tiring. Only now have I discovered just how much more effective tooting the horn is than flashing the lights when trying to persuade people to get out of my way. Only joking... TBH I'm too embarassed to push the horn button anyway:laugh:

L*

Sudesh
24-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Luke,

There are 2 main connections behind the airbag and one behind the upper foot well panel. You can actually see that connector if your on the floor looking up. I have seen quite a few quys on prime looking for this part as they apparently go faulty.

Here is what it looks like

Sudesh
24-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Here's another pic of the connection at the foot well panel.

Hagasan
24-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Here's another pic of the connection at the foot well panel.

"And I also think outside of looking under the airbag, the rear side wiring of the cable reel goes to a multiplug under the steering column?"

That's why I said to Luke to check here first as it's quicker than removing the airbag....

Of course a picture speaks a thousand words and you are the "picture database guru" Sudesh :D