PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an S2000 wheel on an NSX

Hagasan
21-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Due to NSXprimes stoopid listing rules I had to redo the listing for these adaptors so the original link no longer worked....The link below is now the new one and you should be able to view the fitting method etc if interested....

Some of you may recall seeing a note in my car to the effect at Japfest and I may even have bored you with the details, sorry ;-) !!

To clarify for those that are not aware, the splines are different between the wheels and the dish (spacing) is not the same so unfortunately it's not a straight forward plug & play...

Anyway just in case you think it's a bit more modern looking than the standard NSX wheel (I do) and want to see how it's done in pictures and a slightly long winded write up have a lookey over at

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137183

Just to save me the time uploading pictures again.

Driving the car with this slightly smaller but chunkier wheel feels much better in my opinion and the cruise and airbag are still there...

If anybody over here wants one they will be £73 including postage if by paypal. Senninha has said he wants one. Endorsement enough :laugh::laugh: Thanks Paul

Cheers,

Gary

havoc
21-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Interesting...very interesting. And yes, I think it looks better...although it probably risks making the bulky cruise/hazard 'clusters' at the back more obvious...

I think the NSX probably started with the big wheel and slow rack due to the lack of PAS...neither of which was really addressed IMHO when they fitted PAS. I'd love someone to develop a quicker rack for the car too, but it's not a big issue on the sort of open roads that suit the car's 'gait' so well...

Hagasan
22-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Interesting...very interesting. And yes, I think it looks better...although it probably risks making the bulky cruise/hazard 'clusters' at the back more obvious...

I think the NSX probably started with the big wheel and slow rack due to the lack of PAS...neither of which was really addressed IMHO when they fitted PAS. I'd love someone to develop a quicker rack for the car too, but it's not a big issue on the sort of open roads that suit the car's 'gait' so well...

I was able to get a US spec steering wheel with the cruise buttons. don't know if cruise was available as an option on S2000's over here. I haven't seen a car with it. It's quite posibble to make the NSX buttons fit and appear flusher to the wheel but I just never went that way.

There was a guy in Belguim, I think he goes by the handle of "704" on NSXPrime who was at one time going to look into quicker racks but I don't think it ever got too far.

Anyway, as far as the S2000 wheel goes, yes I think it looks better than the NSX one while retaining an OEM look and not looking downmarket. It appears era-wise, in keeping with the interior but the best part is that it feels so much better driving the car with it.......

I do have another S2000 airbag/wheel/cruise if anyone is thinking of doing this.......just let me know...

A.S. Motorsport
27-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I was able to get a US spec steering wheel with the cruise buttons. don't know if cruise was available as an option on S2000's over here. I haven't seen a car with it. It's quite posibble to make the NSX buttons fit and appear flusher to the wheel but I just never went that way.

There was a guy in Builguin, I think he goes by the handle of "704" on NSXPrime who was at one time going to look into quicker racks but I don't think it ever got too far.

Anyway, as far as the S2000 wheel goes, yes I think it looks better than the NSX one while retaining an OEM look and not looking downmarket. It appears era-wise, in keeping with the interior but the best part is that it feels so much better driving the car with it.......

I do have another S2000 airbag/wheel/cruise if anyone is thinking of doing this.......just let me know...
So how did it work out with the steering bolts and spacers?

Hagasan
29-05-2010, 01:57 PM
So how did it work out with the steering bolts and spacers?

Hi Adnan,

I totally redid the whole idea and the finished article is in the link in my first post on this thread....

Let me know what you think and if you want any;)

Gary

W2NSX
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I always liked the idea of the s2000 wheel in the NSX, particularly the one from the VGS model. However as they are as rare as a rare thing I am going to fit a US spec wheel so that I can retain the cruise. The wheel also has the part perforated leather, so it should be in keeping with the rest of the interior.

To complete the install I am going to need the SOS hub http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/steering_hub/default.

Before I order one direct, if anybody has one that they no longer have a use for and want to sell,then drop me a message. My car is completely standard and this will be it's first mod.

malc8148
06-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi,
Id be interested in one if you have one left?
Malc

Hagasan
06-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi,
Id be interested in one if you have one left?
Malc

Hello Malc,

is your question directed at me? I'm the person who has the boss adaptors....The second S2000 wheel I had has been sold to Ian, W2 NSX.

If you want an adaptor then I have a few left. Please follow the link at the top of the page to be aware as to what's required beyond the adaptor. It is the link in the chain.....

Thanks,

Gary

malc8148
07-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi Gary,
Sorry,yes, my question was directed to you.
I was very impressed to read your write up and would like to swap my standard steering wheel.
I haveent bought an s2000 wheel yet but im continuing to look.
Do you want me to pay you by paypal to gazzah@nildram.co.uk (gazzah@nildram.co.uk) ?
Malc

Hagasan
07-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Gary,
Sorry,yes, my question was directed to you.
I was very impressed to read your write up and would like to swap my standard steering wheel.
I haveent bought an s2000 wheel yet but im continuing to look.
Do you want me to pay you by paypal to gazzah@nildram.co.uk (gazzah@nildram.co.uk) ?
Malc

Hi Malc,

Thanks for the compliment, it was a bit of a headache working out a way at first!!

I only have a couple left now so if you want one best to get in now. At least you'll have the key piece for when you get the wheel etc... That is the correct paypal address

Thanks,

Gary

malc8148
07-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Gary,
Will send money now.
If I decided to fit an after market wheel like a Tuner,would that be possible on this adaptor,if so, how would I terminate the cruise etc?
Thanks,
Malc

Hagasan
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Gary,
Will send money now.
If I decided to fit an after market wheel like a Tuner,would that be possible on this adaptor,if so, how would I terminate the cruise etc?
Thanks,
Malc

No, if you went down that route you'd need to get a specific Momo hub for the NSX. I think Sudesh on here was selling one recently. There is a guy on NSXPrime (EVO575 GTC) who has a bracket & button set-up to incorporate the Momo wheel with cruise....You will lose the airbag obviously...

Thanks,

Gary

markc
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
...You will lose the airbag obviously...

Great project Gary, was keeping the airbag with a smaller diameter wheel the primary goal?

I have to say that going to 350mm diameter makes a surprising amount of difference to the steering feel.

Personally I prefer the look of the NSX-R style Momo Tuner (cruise can be retained) but obviously you loose the airbag.

Cheers

Mark

Hagasan
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Great project Gary, was keeping the airbag with a smaller diameter wheel the primary goal?

I have to say that going to 350mm diameter makes a surprising amount of difference to the steering feel.

Personally I prefer the look of the NSX-R style Momo Tuner (cruise can be retained) but obviously you loose the airbag.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark.

I can't take any credit for the initial idea of using an S2000 wheel but on seeing the stateside NSX bunch discussing it I did like the idea of an OEM style item, just attached a little more safely than they were doing! I wanted to retain the airbag and cruise functionality and in essense just have a slightly smaller more modern looking part than the original yet not looking out of place.....Don't know why Honda themselves couldn't have tried this...especially as later on most cars had PAS......

Gary

Rob_Fenn
08-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I quite like the S2K wheel, but if i remember rightly the colour was different to the NSX's.

Rob_Fenn
08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd love someone to develop a quicker rack for the car too, but it's not a big issue on the sort of open roads that suit the car's 'gait' so well...

The shorter steering rack has been done ;)

Hagasan
08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I quite like the S2K wheel, but if i remember rightly the colour was different to the NSX's.

No the S2000 wheel matches fine with the NSX interior...Wouldn't have done it otherwise..

Hagasan
27-05-2011, 09:35 AM
I just thought I would update this thread.....

some of you who may know me (& my car) will have noticed my S2000 wheel with working cruise, wired up airbag etc.

I came up with a way of fitting the S2000 wheel in the NSX and have recently been asked by the guys on NSXPRIME about making a another batch of the required adaptors to facilitate fitment. I already have the minimum 10 required but I will be leaving the group buy open until next Friday, 3rd June so I just thought I'd make people aware on here in case they are interested.....

I have two S2000 wheels available as well, one with the cruise buttons and one without. I can source the cruise buttons if required. They were never fitted on UK 2000's to my knowledge.

This is the thread on Prime for info http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137183

I can't update the first post in the thread any longer so the price has changed a little as the price of aluminium has shot up. They will work out somewhere between £75-80 including postage but will confirm exactly when I know.

Please PM me if you are interested or want more info....

Thanks,

Gary

Senninha
28-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Firstly let me Thank Gary for all of his help with this project. I liked the idea of fitting a smaller wheel but absolutely wanted to retain cruise (I use it a lot) and the airbag (hope never to use!!)

My first part was Gary's clever and reassuring well engineered mounting plate. I then obtained a UK S2k wheel so as to have an airbag. After this Gary kindly collected an SOS hub and Cruise buttons for the S2k wheel whilst on business in USA. After months of hunting I found the wheel I wanted. This left me with one final part ... the OEM NSX airbag connecter ... I finally found one from our good friend Dirk (NSX Parts) who provided it when I bought his 02 ABS system.

So on a very sunny Monday afternoon this March, I drove over and spent a few hours with Gary as we completed the changeover. Parts of the used rim are wrapped in CF as I decide how best to retrim the wheel for the longer term. But for now, I am very pleased with the change and as I said at the beginning, very grateful to Gary for all his help.

regards, Paul

(PS - if you like the idea, I believe Gary has a couple of standard (ie round) S2k wheels ready to go)

nobby
28-03-2012, 10:56 PM
very nice paul!

TheSebringOne
28-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Looks like a great mod Paul, how does it feel compared to OEM?

Also is more effort required when turning?

AR
29-03-2012, 08:42 AM
If you like Paul, that is all that matters.