PDA

View Full Version : Replace brake discs?

gcon45
26-05-2010, 12:03 PM
My 02 has it's original discs still fitted and whilst there is barely a worn edge on the surface of the rotors, there is quite a bit of heavy corrosion between the layers on the vents and on the bells of the discs.

Apart from being a bit unsightly behind the wheels, is it dangerous?

I was considering replacing all 4.

Sudesh
26-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Connor,

Dont think this is dangerous as such. Its quite common to get corrosion on those areas, even if you replace the discs for new OEM or similar you'll get the same corrosion eventually. I would just clean down, inspect and repaint if all is good.

My 02 has it's original discs still fitted and whilst there is barely a worn edge on the surface of the rotors, there is quite a bit of heavy corrosion between the layers on the vents and on the bells of the discs.

Apart from being a bit unsightly behind the wheels, is it dangerous?

I was considering replacing all 4.

Papalazarou
26-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been looking for some replacement disks and possibly calipers for a while. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many options for the NSX.
None of the vendors know which calipers fit the oem wheels and half the parts seem to be stuck in Japan or wherever they come from.
If anyone else sends me a pdf for a cutout caliper, I will shoot them.

Cheers,

James

TheSebringOne
27-05-2010, 12:07 AM
The disc should be ok, but how many miles has the car done?

I knew there was something wrong with mine when braking very hard from high speeds and theres alot of vibration even though the steering fine & wheels balanced. Then it failed it's MOT, since there was bad corrosion on the inside of the disc that you can't see unless on a ramp, even though it looked ok from the roadside. The car was then 7-8 years old.

NSXGB
27-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't believe your discs would fail an mot unless they are rusted on the braking surface, which would indicate poor pad contact.
Most discs are supplied unpainted so will rust.

simonprelude
27-05-2010, 08:40 AM
If you do decide to replace them, Black Diamond I have found to be the best at staying non-rusty. Not sure if they do them for NA2, they do for NA1 as I know a few people have them.

gcon45
27-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies!

A.S. Motorsport
27-05-2010, 02:18 PM
That isn't dangerous, it's quite common.

Papalazarou,
Are you looking for a performance upgrade in your calipers?