PDA

View Full Version : Yep them yellow lights again!!!

Sebringbug
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Started over the winter...battery died on me and when the snow finally went had very intermittent ABS light....restart engine no light for ages. Then gradually TCS started joining in so more regularly had both. Had it looked at by Honda who re-set the light and said if it returned then new near side ABS sensor.... weeks of nothing..then back again....now Engine malfunction has come to play too with TCS....

Mine is a 2002 bug eye...can see the diagnostic port but no "blue" thing. My Honda dealer used to have an experienced NSX technician but he has left recently and don't want to go down the " we'll start changing this route"

Have checked brake lights and tyre pressures re ABS and TCS...surely they cant be related to Engine can they? equally it's strange all the yellows are coming together.

I think I have a buzzing relay from the bulkhead behind passenger....could this be a route problem leading to the rest?

Any help? advise????...but please be gentle with me on techy stuff....can just about change a battery as far as electrics go so it's more advise on who to ask and what to ask for

c11nky
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I had a wee problem a few years ago. The power steering packed up and took the ABS and TCS with it.

The problem was traced back to a blown ECU.

£loads to replace it (not to mention the wait to have it sent halfway round the planet..... by donkey!) and 18 months later the new one popped.

So, back off to the local dealer. He had it for about 6 weeks while he tried to trace the real problem (£loads plus diagnostic time).

He couldn't find anything definitive, but he did find a little rust on the steering column where an earth strap attaches. This earth strap is for the ECU which controls..... need I go on?

Anyway, he cleaned up the connection and give it a coat of paint (and another new ECU!) and it's been fine ever since.

I'm no expert on electrics, but the majority of my electrical problems over the years (on all types of cars) has been with bad earths so it might be worth starting there.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Silver Surfer
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
O2 sensor for engine light malfunction???

Best to do the paper clip in the blue plug and watch and count the blinks of each of the yellow lights ...

SS

Nick Graves
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I had a wee problem a few years ago. The power steering packed up and took the ABS and TCS with it.

The problem was traced back to a blown ECU.

£loads to replace it (not to mention the wait to have it sent halfway round the planet..... by donkey!) and 18 months later the new one popped.

So, back off to the local dealer. He had it for about 6 weeks while he tried to trace the real problem (£loads plus diagnostic time).

He couldn't find anything definitive, but he did find a little rust on the steering column where an earth strap attaches. This earth strap is for the ECU which controls..... need I go on?

Anyway, he cleaned up the connection and give it a coat of paint (and another new ECU!) and it's been fine ever since.

I'm no expert on electrics, but the majority of my electrical problems over the years (on all types of cars) has been with bad earths so it might be worth starting there.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

I have to agree with that. Especially on a car whose body is one bad earth anyway.

There have been odd ECU issues on S2000s, often caused by corrosion on the wiring loom connectors where they pass through the bulkhead. I'd buy a joblot of contact cleaner & start pulling everything apart & irritating it.

Kaz-kzukNA1
10-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi, Sebringbug.

First of all, please make sure that your battery is healthy (fully charged) and both battery terminals are clean and cables securely tightened to the posts.
If you have any doubts about your battery, just visit one of the Honda garage and get new one.
Honda battery is cheap these days and I don't see any reasons to get different one unless you have specific objectives such as reducing the chassis weight and so on.

Some of the error codes may have been triggered due to the low battery voltage.

For some reason, lots of forums are recommending to reset the error codes whenever the warning lights were triggered.
Please try not to do this.

Instead, please read the error codes first, then reset them and carry out further investigation by starting the engine, test driving session and etc.

As your NSX is 02 model, you have the latest ABS.
Please note that removing the 7.5A ‘Clock’ fuse or removing the battery won’t reset the ABS error code.
You must follow specific procedure involving the brake pedal, IGN SW, time, etc in order to reset the ABS unless you have the OBD-II analyzer.

If you ask any main dealer garages, they will have OBD-II tools so if you are not familiar with NSX, it may be best to ask them to read the error codes for you.
It's nothing special and just based on CAN Bus with specific protocol for newer production cars to support the diagnosis on some of the parameters.

It should not cost a lot and if you are lucky, they may do it for free. Some of the members here also have PC based OBD-II analyzer.

If you want to try reading the code by yourself, it is best to look at the on-line Workshop manual through NSX Prime or from other web sites.

The ‘Blue’ connector is not at the OBD-II port just below the glove box.
You will see a good diagram showing the actual location inside the Workshop manual.

Probably, too much detail at this stage before even reading the code but as a reference;

All four Wheel speed (ABS) sensor signals are first analyzed at the ABS controller and then they are conditioned and signal level converted before being passed onto the TCS controller. Therefore, any failure at wheel speed signal will tend to trigger both ABS and TCS warning lights.

However, TCS warning light could be triggered by some of the Engine related error code (ECL) so it is best to diagnose the cause of ECL first and then move onto the TCS side.

The Main Relay on your model is behind the right shoulder of the driver seat if you have RHD NSX.
The one behind the passenger seat which makes the buzzing/clicking noise is the Fuel Pump relay.

This relay could fail on its own but the contact side is connected to the Main Relay so if you have a faulty Main Relay, it could cause this noise at the Fuel Pump relay as well.
If you haven’t done so yet, it’s worth replacing [Edit: the Main Relay] with new one any way as there were several failures reported even on the later models such as your 02 or even 03 models.

I think this is enough to start with.
In any case, reading the error code would be the first thing to do with the state of your battery and Main Relay in mind.

Regards,
Kaz

Sebringbug
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Cheers Kaz

Battery was replaced last week as I had a feeling this was the cause of the random ABS TCS lights. It was then I got Honda to check the ABS error codes and they reported none even though the ABS TCS had made one or two appearances since they cancelled them.

All was great till Sunday when first ABS TCS came on...stopped and restarted the car and they cleared...drove for half an hour ...no probs then stopped...then went to drive again from home half hour later and CEL and TCS alight....have not driven it since as I don't have time at the mo to get it to Honda to have the code read and am away for hols at the weekend...Whilst I hope its gremlins I don't want to ignore lights!!!!

I'll get it booked in to have the CEL code checked and I think it looks sensible to get the main relay changed then...

Will report back

Thanks to all for imput and help