PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to see how fast your NSX is?

NSX 2000
20-08-2010, 09:10 AM
As some of you might be aware Noel and I have been going to VMAX for the last couple of years, and they are now organising the next one to take place in the 2nd half of October.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=133&mid=167055

This a very fun day, and you get to see some very interesting cars and you can always ask for a passenger ride.

Paul

m666 edd
20-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah I'm up for it. Hmm don't think I even have a pistonheads account.

havoc
20-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I enquired about this back in the Spring, as it does look like a very entertaining day.

Trouble is, they want £175 for it. Which for a handful of max-speed runs down a runway* doesn't look very good value next to a proper trackday. Although yes, there is the option of passenger-rides in some real exotica.

* You can do as many as you want, but let's be honest - how many would you really want to do?!?

simonprelude
20-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I went to this a few years ago, admittedly it was cheaper back then.

The atmoshere is great, the chance to see some amazing machines at WOT and the fun you'll have will make it all worthwhile, just wish the temps were sub 30C when I went :(

It's a lot more than a few top speed runs down a runway, I mean when was the last time you were overtaken at 200+ mph............. ;)

gumball
20-08-2010, 10:37 AM
The A120 is cheaper.

NSX 2000
20-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I enquired about this back in the Spring, as it does look like a very entertaining day.

Trouble is, they want £175 for it. Which for a handful of max-speed runs down a runway* doesn't look very good value next to a proper trackday. Although yes, there is the option of passenger-rides in some real exotica.

* You can do as many as you want, but let's be honest - how many would you really want to do?!?

I remember that post, IIRC it was on Pistonheads, not here?

Yes it sounds expensive, but you do get the chance to hammer the car on the way back to the start line if you want :D

The other way to look at it, is you only live once :D Plus you may get a chance to watch Noel turn off the TC and nail it from a standing start, then fish tail it, and cack his pants at the same time :laugh:

nakamichi
20-08-2010, 11:14 AM
The A120 is cheaper.
pmsl :laugh:

havoc
20-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Plus you may get a chance to watch Noel turn off the TC and nail it from a standing start, then fish tail it, and cack his pants at the same time :laugh:

Well why didn't you say that earlier?!? Where do I sign up again... ;)

And yes, the £175 comment was on PH - I e-mailed the chap organising, he sent me the cost but not the date, I raised it as a "how much???" sort of question on PH.

I realise hiring Brunters for the day costs money, but does it really cost about the same as hiring e.g. Donington or Oulton?

simonprelude
20-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I realise hiring Brunters for the day costs money, but does it really cost about the same as hiring e.g. Donington or Oulton?

Last email about a track day at Donington I had was about £350.

havoc
20-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Last email about a track day at Donington I had was about £350.

Really?

Last one I did there (summer before it closed) was about £200 for own-car. With Bookatrack, who aren't known for crowding circuits with too many attendees...
(Now £250*, as is Croft. Oulton, Knockhill, Rockingham and Anglesey all <£200, Snetterton £215)

* DP trying to recoup some of those construction costs, I guess...

jaffaz32
24-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been on their site.

two questions come to mind...

Where is it?

And are the prices quoted above the price at the time? or does it drop if more than expected cars come along?

NSX 2000
25-08-2010, 06:23 PM
The location is Bruntingthorpe, just South of Leicester (M1 jcn 20).

There is a limit on the number of places.

Paul.

NoelWatson
25-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I have asked if I can get a place. Also seeing how many spaces are available for Millbrook

Senninha
25-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I have asked if I can get a place. Also seeing how many spaces are available for Millbrook

Is this a similar event Noel?

NSX 2000
25-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Is this a similar event Noel?

Not really, the Millbrook event is organised by a professional instructor and includes time in different cars not just your own, plus only 8 people can do it.

Paul

Silver Surfer
25-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I have confirmed my interest for VMAX...;)

SS

NoelWatson
26-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Not really, the Millbrook event is organised by a professional instructor and includes time in different cars not just your own, plus only 8 people can do it.

Paul

Wasn't aware you got to drive different cars

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=336553

Thinking of asking if we can piggyback on this

NSX 2000
26-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Wasn't aware you got to drive different cars

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=336553

Thinking of asking if we can piggyback on this

If they have 2 spaces then why not.

Below are the full details of the Milbrook day (It's the last bit of the day which is done in their cars).

Full event details in CAT's own words.

Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day

An action-packed day run by CAT Driver Training Ltd at Millbrook Proving Ground.

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad. Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction. This includes being certificated to instruct at Millbrook. His life has been spent working with his passion: motor cars - from racing minis to the race preparation of performance cars. He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.

The day is a fast moving experience for 8 owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving. It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun. The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly personalised environment.

There is access to the 5 unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for ‘track days’ and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:
• Learn ‘threshold’ braking from 100+mph on the ‘Mile Straight’
• High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the ‘High Speed Circuit’
• Drive the demanding ‘Alpine Route’ circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping
• Take on the tight, twisty and challenging ‘Handling Circuit’
• Put a car through its paces on the wide open spaces of the ‘Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron’
An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits during your session, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with.

Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control. From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at ‘grip limit’ within the controlled confines of a track environment.

At the end of the day, your new found skills can be put to the test in a timed ‘shoot out’ around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the ‘Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron’. This will be conducted in one of CAT Driver Training’s track prepared cars (normally a Subaru Impreza or a Caterham 7).

Included in the day are:
• Professional in car tuition
• Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground
• Mechanical support from a professional race engineer
• Lunch and refreshments during the day
• Timed end of day ‘shoot out’ in one of CAT’s track prepared cars
• Full emergency services on hand all day
• 1½ hours driving time with your personal instructor

MLR Members Price £355 per person
Non Members Price £395 per person

Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day Schedule

08:30 – 09:15 Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Objectives of the Day
09:15 – 09:20 Drive to Circuits
09:20 – 10:30 Mile Straight
10:30 – 11:40 High Speed Circuit
11:45 – 13:15 Handling Circuit
13:15 – 13:45 Lunch
13:45 – 15:20 Alpine Route
15:20 – 16:00 Understeer/Oversteer
16:00 – 17:00 Gymkhana timed ‘Shoot Out’ – Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron
17:10 Presentation & Debrief
Any Questions
End

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity

Note on noise limits ... to quote me "there is no limit unless you are a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car". If anyone thinks they can compete at that level on noise, be sure to mention it when booking!

Aerial photo of Millbrook below for your delectation.

NSX 2000
02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
As some of you may know the V max that should of been in the 2nd half of October had to be postponed to November, are people still going?

Paul

paulc
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Snetterton also have a novice only track day 13 Nov £99 all day and for those with a bit of experience an Open Pit Lane on the 11 Nov £99 all day

Silver Surfer
02-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Still attending.

SS

Silver Surfer
20-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Managed 168mph through the speed trap today on a foggy and damp circuit...170 on the Speedo and Sat Nav....2mph less than I had hoped.

So a low compression SC on an long geared 1991 3.0 will make it only 4mph faster than a standard 3.2! :(

SS

Driver Matt
20-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I hear that some people use the M48.
They have discovered that a 3.2 will pull 150 in 5th before running out of revs.
Obviously I think this is V bad :laugh:

Silver Surfer
20-11-2010, 09:20 PM
They have discovered that a 3.2 will pull 150 in 5th before running out of revs.

Paul (NSX2000) today pulled 164 in 5th hitting the limiter..

SS

NoelWatson
20-11-2010, 10:17 PM

I think it is v bad, as a 3.2 will hit an indicated ~168 in 5th. You must have problems with your car.

NoelWatson
20-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Paul (NSX2000) today pulled 164 in 5th hitting the limiter..

SS

I think he will have been in 6th.

markc
21-11-2010, 04:52 PM
So a low compression SC on an long geared 1991 3.0 will make it only 4mph faster than a standard 3.2! :(

Gearing (ratio) for 5th gear is the same for all 5 spd cars i.e. 186mph at 8K rpm. "Long" gearing refers to 2nd/3rd/4th gear ratio of the early cars.

With circa 360hp I'd expect your car to pull a touch more than 170mph in the confines of Bruntingthorpe. Foggy and damp is usually good for power so your car maybe a bit off colour. Alternatively it may just need a bit more space :)

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
21-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Gearing (ratio) for 5th gear is the same for all 5 spd cars i.e. 186mph at 8K rpm. "Long" gearing refer to 2nd/3rd/4th gear ration of the early cars.

With circa 360hp I'd expect your car to pull a touch more than 170mph in the confines of Bruntingthorpe. Foggy and damp is usually good for power so you car maybe a bit off colour. Alternatively it may just need a bit more space :)

Cheers

Mark

Or better CdA

Silver Surfer
21-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Gearing (ratio) for 5th gear is the same for all 5 spd cars i.e. 186mph at 8K rpm. "Long" gearing refer to 2nd/3rd/4th gear ration of the early cars.

With circa 360hp I'd expect your car to pull a touch more than 170mph in the confines of Bruntingthorpe. Foggy and damp is usually good for power so you car maybe a bit off colour. Alternatively it may just need a bit more space :)

Cheers

Mark

The car was still accelerating when crossing the timing trap so probably need a longer strip to get to 'real' max velocity........my excuse is that I had a passenger, poorer CdA, half a tank of juice etc compare with Pauls' 02+. ;)

Trackdemon who was there in his 3.0 NSX managed only 161mph.

There was also a suggestion that there was a differnece in the 2 timing trap lanes, ....the left was reading lower by 4mph compared to the right. I ran only in the left lane whilst Paul ran in the right lane.

Also ..form the results on the Vmax200 results on PH,

M3 CSL 161-168mph
Cerbera 4.2 168mph
Aston V8 Vantage 160mph
E36 M3 Evo 164mph
TVR 350C 165mph
Noble M12 450 171mph
Porsche 993 C4S 156mph

But beaten by all modern Porsche 911, Monaro, GTRs, F 599, M5 , RS4 and RS6 etc...all running silly bhp!! :eek:

Will try again in Spring

SS

NSX 2000
24-11-2010, 09:35 PM
For those of you who thought about it but then couldn't be bothered, this is what you missed

http://www.auto-journals.com/features/241

Paul

NSX 2000
24-11-2010, 09:42 PM
See here for some great photos taken by Steve (Trackdemon)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=133&t=930577&mid=167055&nmt=VMAX photography - Posters of your P&J in action

Note to self, don't forget to turn radio off not just turn the sound down :doh:

havoc
24-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Some good pics there from Steve (as usual).

I will have to go to one of these...just seems a little steep at £175.

m666 edd
24-11-2010, 10:44 PM
For those of you who thought about it but then couldn't be bothered, this is what you missed

http://www.auto-journals.com/features/241

Paul

Sounds like a dig at me lol

I kinda thought it wouldn't be worth the risk of not being able to run due to noise level as they sounded like they were quite strict. I shall have the peruse now.

NSX 2000
25-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a dig at me lol

I kinda thought it wouldn't be worth the risk of not being able to run due to noise level as they sounded like they were quite strict. I shall have the peruse now.

Hi Ed, not a dig just a gentle poke :D

I wouldn't worry about the noise, they had some very loud cars, with V8's and V12's!