PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gear NSX Tribute

Greybloke
31-10-2005, 09:08 PM
:D Heads up,

Apparently next Monday (7th Nov) we will be treated to a fifth gear tribute to the "soon to be axed NSX"

Woohaa :D

Cant wait for the in depth crit :roll:

Senninha
31-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Greybloke, you're faster than a speeding bullet with this posting :!:

I guess it will all depend upon who from the team will be reviewing and testing the cars :?

Tiff will be trying to go sideways :D , Tom will probably stall it :oops: , Jason would probably be the most honest 8) , whilst I'm sure all the guys will be pleased if Vicki's in the hot seat :wink: !

I'm off to set the video...

Kevin
31-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Well Tiff can't get an NSX sideways, or so he whined when trying to on Top Gear.

VBH likes the NSX.

We should all be ready to barrage them with email, should they say anything we don't like.

ctrlaltdelboy
31-10-2005, 09:57 PM
....Tiff will be trying to go sideways
whilst (yet again) omitting to disable the tcs leading to moaning about it not having sufficient power to slide :roll:

Senninha
31-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I hope that they have taken the trouble to select a few different models/ages and deliver a proper tribute.

Greybloke
31-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I hope that they have taken the trouble to select a few different models/ages and deliver a proper tribute.

The (very) brief trailer showed a facelift Red.

Anyway I vote for VBH :P

Kevin
31-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Well until then, you can relive the original Top Gear test.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=nsx

The one with 7 min 33 sec - Apr 17, 2005 as a caption is the one.

Senninha
31-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Any chance of saving this somewhere on the site :?:

My firewalls are very sensitive and wont let me access the link :roll:

trackdemon
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I met Tiff at an event a little while back and he was very complimentary about my car -

TN "Is that yours?"

TD "Yes"

TN "Nice, great cars. Fantastic engine....."

More of same I hope on 5th gear. Shame they've peppered the new format show with so much contrived babble though.

simonprelude
01-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Would have been nice if they had contacted the forum to see if people wanted to be part of it.

Ivan Chiswick Honda
02-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Autocar came in about ten days ago to take some shots so they too are writing a piece.

Believe it is Andrew Frankel who spoke to me that will write it who has written about the NSX before and had the privilege of being taken around the track in one by Ayrton Senna.

Apologies in advance if a picture of me is in there,I did try and say that would not be of interest !

Regards

Ivan

UltraViolet
02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Believe it is Andrew Frankel who spoke to me that will write it who has written about the NSX before and had the privilege of being taken around the track in one by Ayrton Senna.
I read his write up in the Times some years back and it was a fine piece of journalism. Made me leave the comfy sofa just to go take the NSX for a drive! 8)

TheQuietOne
02-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I've got that somewhere on my PC actually, it is a wonderfu piece, very evocative, and insightful...

Let me see...found it!

Hope I don't get into trouble for this....

I look forward to his latest piece!

Matt.

Kevin
02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
For all you wannabe racing drivers, I have put a clip of Senna driving an NSX in the movies section.

You may notice the speedo needle hit the top speed on occasion!

glenlewis
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I read that article ages ago - it's great thanks for posting it up again.
At the bottom is says Jeremy Clarkson is away - thank god for that, if he hadn't been that wouldn't have been written; Ayrton Senna is my hero and I drive an NSX so thanks Andrew Frankel - made a pleasant change from Clarkson talking sh|t about killing all the immigrants etct etc

Senninha
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Ayrton Senna + NSX = poetry in motion :!:

BabyNSX
03-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Would have been nice if they had contacted the forum to see if people wanted to be part of it.

they contacted me :wink:

BabyNSX
04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I read his write up in the Times some years back and it was a fine piece of journalism. Made me leave the comfy sofa just to go take the NSX for a drive! 8)

The Full Article was in Autocar and titled "A Master at Work in an NSX" - I have the original magazine in my garage somewhere. In it he describes Senna sliding the NSX sideways in the rain at 80mph!

Greybloke
07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
TTT

Dont forget it's tonight, today's Standard says Rowan Atkinson and JB "pay tribute" to the NSX :D

Chanel 5 - Fifth Gear (you can turn off after the NSX piece, as I expect it will be pants :wink: )

TheQuietOne
07-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Funny, I was just on the 5thgear website and about to post to remind people too!

They're giving away Silver P8 NSX too - so one of could double our tally!

Matt.

markc
07-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I will be tuned in tonight and ready to double my quota.

Re Rowan Atkinson being involved in the NSX tribute, he's be a fan for some years. I have a video, shot by myself, of him driving a Yellow NSX at the 1996 (I think) "SuperCar Parade" at Goodwood FOS.
I was right by the entrance to the hill where the parade was staged, prior to them going up to the start.
I remember it very specifically 'cos I saw Jonathan Palmer load up Ron Dennis and a friend? in Macca F1 "XP3" and take them up the hill in the same parade. 8)

Mark

Sagacitas
07-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I already have it scheduled for taping.

They are giving away an NSX? There goes my phone bill for the next week. :twisted:

In fact maybe I can get the wife to enter as well - sort of a Christmas present for me? :idea:

Richard

jaytip
07-11-2005, 06:42 PM
guys im looking at sky info right now and its saying "another chance to see this episode"....... blah blah blah.There is no mention of NSX :?

BabyNSX
07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
i told you they contacted me - they bought my car and will be giving it away tonight

Kevin
07-11-2005, 08:08 PM
As soon as they showed P8 NSX, I thought, I bet that's yours.

Seems to be going alright so far... maybe the resale will be going up.

Kevin
07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Well it was alright up until the 'expert' went over it.

5speed rare? Switches in English? Original small wheels? Muppet.

Greybloke
07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Tiff needless, on another planet as usual :wink:

Still made some calls already :D wish me luck!

Senninha
07-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I think I shall have RSI from texting to enter :shock:

Of course if I'm lucky it does mean one of you wont double your tally :D

Good to see Jason & Tom putting Tiff in his place :!:

Sagacitas
07-11-2005, 09:12 PM
You can enter via the web site as well. That is the approach that I am going to take. Hopefully less risk of RSI that way. :)

Nice looking car, but the expert did seem to be a muppet.

markc
07-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Best bit was, and I quote....

Ford "... every time you see a bloke driving a Honda NSX, no matter how old, what do you think?"
Plato "He knows exactly what he's upto"
Ford "My point"

Respect to us all 8)

senna786
07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I am confused!! Did I hear correctly :idea: Vicky mentioning that the red 04 model she was driving was a 3.0 Litre 280 BHP model?

Did they do a 3.0 Litre up until recently.

Senna

03 3.2MT Long Beach Blue 8) 8)

simonprelude
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
All Auto's are 3.0 litre's !! But that one wasn't.

I am confused!! Did I hear correctly :idea: Vicky mentioning that the red 04 model she was driving was a 3.0 Litre 280 BHP model?

Did they do a 3.0 Litre up until recently.

Senna

03 3.2MT Long Beach Blue 8) 8)

BabyNSX
07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
when they bought my car they were amazed that no-one had bought it because of the price and condition. some folk on this forum showed interest but didn't view it - if i told you what price i let it go for you'll be kicking yourselves. the irony is that programme tonight will probably push up the used NSX prices :roll:

blue5
07-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I thought the NSX feature was perceptive and went some way to encapsulating NSX ownership, i particularly like the summary Marc noted, which says it all.

Any how I have just been to my shed and got the garden furniture out of hibernation to put outside my house for the anticipated multitude who will be now be queuing to buy my silver NSX with black roof.

By the way, if you are 3rd in the queue, please dont lean back on the chair as the legs have a habit of folding under.

Martin
07-11-2005, 11:34 PM
grrrr :twisted:

I was in a meeting and asked a neighbour to tape it. Somehow he managed to tape all except the first quarter :twisted: :twisted:

does anyone have it taped or dvd recorded or able to load it onto this website?

Cheers
Martin

BabyNSX
07-11-2005, 11:46 PM
i can send you a dvd - pm me your address

jaytip
08-11-2005, 04:25 AM
if i told you what price i let it go for you'll be kicking yourselves.
come on then mate,don't keep us all in suspence.What did you end up letting it go for :D 22K was the advertised price,so how much did they knock you down by?

Rob_Fenn
08-11-2005, 09:10 AM
That red NSX could of been a 3.0 if it was an auto, but it wasn't! Vicki obviously didn't do any research herself, too much of a celeb these days!

I've driven the red car, it must have a pretty harsh life! It performed impeccably on track though. Gearbox and brakes seemed better than my dad's non-facelift.

Anyone see the Esprit? Ha ha! Wonder what reliable supercar they could of got instead..hmm...

-Rob

Sagacitas
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
The point of using the Lotus was to allow an inexpensive route to 200Mph. From what I have heard there is no cheap way of getting the power needed from an NSX.

Rob_Fenn
08-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Well the Esprit only got to 180mph after blowing up (again) didn't it? :D

You could buy an NSX for under £15k and spend the other £15k on quite a bit of kit.

-Rob

AR
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
They should have given away the Lotus and kept the NSX.

Sagacitas
08-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Do NOT say things like that (keeping the NSX and giving away the Lotus)! Because they are giving away BabyNSX's car I have a chance to win it! :D Of the two I would much rather have the NSX.

Richard

AR
08-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I just hope that the winner is someone who will appreciate the NSX.

Kevin
08-11-2005, 06:14 PM
You could buy an NSX for under £15k and spend the other £15k on quite a bit of kit.

Lotus Esprit V8s can be bought for £15k too. Thought I'd check on Autotrader when the show was on.

Greybloke
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
They should have given away the Lotus and kept the NSX.

But then no one would enter :D

Kevin
08-11-2005, 10:01 PM
For anyone who missed, and is fretting over it, not sleeping etc. Some nice person stuck it on the 'web.

here (http://www.isaie.co.uk/movies/nsx.wmv)

simonprelude
09-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Time out to www.isaie.co.uk ??

For anyone who missed, and is fretting over it, not sleeping etc. Some nice person stuck it on the 'web.

here (http://www.isaie.co.uk/movies/nsx.wmv)

DamianW
09-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Thing with the Esprit is that Renault gearbox is a known weakness, so God only knows why they didn't fix that first. Reading my favourite Lotus forums it seems shoving a Hewland box in is the preferred fix. I don't think there's anything much wrong with the V8 itself (apart from Lotus build quality).

Rob_Fenn
09-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Their V8 is good, it's very compact. You can't expect to get that much power and not have problems though. They did suggest the SUperchips remap wasn't ideal...

Did you also hear them mention the driveshafts were from a metro?! :o

-Rob

Senninha
10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Kevin,

The link times out, does anyone know how to put it on the movie section of the site?

Kevin
11-11-2005, 04:41 PM
It is located on the second server that I use for this site anyway. It's where I keep all the other movies.

If it's timing out it's because its busy, or crashed.

btw. Works for me.

Senninha
12-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi Kevin,

Saw your note so sneaked back in the quiet of night and hey presto, it works :D

All I need now is for my number to be drawn out of the Fifth Gear hat and I will joining this elite group even sooner :D :D

Sagacitas
12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Senninha,

So how many times have you entered so far?

I am currently at 10. Planning on calling some more as well. Better the playing the lottery. :D

Richard

ctrlaltdelboy
12-11-2005, 11:18 AM
me and wifey have one entry each :D

Senninha
13-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Sagacitas,

Lets just say I've spread my chances :wink:

Its into double figures using all 3 lines of access :x

I just hope that when the draw is made, P8 finds a good home and returns here..........its just that it if it was my home it would look so good next to my VFR that is reads P9 :!:

Sagacitas
14-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I do hope that it is someone on the list that wins.

Far far better if that someone is me though. :twisted:

Good luck to us all.

Richard

Greybloke
14-11-2005, 08:29 PM
So........ who won? :roll:

Jim
14-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I think they say at the end of the program.

ctrlaltdelboy
14-11-2005, 08:58 PM
dunno - website just says comp closed

Senninha
14-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I dont suppose we'll know until they've contacted the winner :roll:

Keep those fingers crossed a little longer

BabyNSX
17-11-2005, 11:28 AM
last series they posted all the car winners up at the end of the series on the website. but i guess if you didn't win, do you care that much who did? :?

i just hope whoever won it will look after it, i spent a lot of cash on that car and gave it away for peanuts :(

Jim
17-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Having read the competiton rules on the website you can write to Channel 5 within 3 months of the end of the competition and ask for the winners name.

Not something I would do, but it would be nice to know that they are not trying to contact me. I keep listening to voicemail just in case.

Jim

Sagacitas
17-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I figure that if I had won they would have told me by now. Hope P8 NSX's new owner will take car of her. :(

Richard

BabyNSX
18-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Not something I would do, but it would be nice to know that they are not trying to contact me. I keep listening to voicemail just in case.

Jim

they get arount 300,000-600,000 entries each week so i think it's easier for them that way.

ctrlaltdelboy
18-11-2005, 07:31 PM
they get arount 300,000-600,000 entries each week .......
:shock: at £1 each!!

nice moneyspinner, I'm clearly in the wrong business :idea:

Rob_Fenn
18-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Yep, preying on the convienience of text message. Wish i thought of it first!

Senninha
21-11-2005, 09:14 PM
So they could clearly have offered BabyNSX a less obscene purchase price :!:

2 weeks, no news, no P8NSX :(

BabyNSX
22-11-2005, 12:23 AM
At the time they turned up, i needed to sell, so they were a bit lucky - right time right place. there were several people on this forum who were interested in my car, but none of them came to look at it, otherwise the bargain would've been theirs. C'est la vie :roll:

Sagacitas
22-11-2005, 10:21 AM
In my case interest (not expressed) was not balanced by means. :cry:

Richard

BabyNSX
22-11-2005, 10:43 AM
At the time they turned up, i needed to sell, so they were a bit lucky - right time right place. there were several people on this forum who were interested in my car, but none of them came to look at it, otherwise the bargain would've been theirs. C'est la vie :roll:

this reads a bit abrasively - not intended. my point is that a lot of potential owners (many on this forum) considered my car but then went on to buy others because they were a bit cheaper, or closer to them, or had less previous owners. i looked at 5 before buying my one and it was by far the best. it was also the furthest away and had the most owners. a 10 year old supercar should be bought on condition and history, imo. my point is that i would've liked it to go to an enthusiast, but maybe i just got too attached to the car :oops: . anyway, don't matter now.

Senninha
24-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Look what Tiff chose to arrive in at the recent MPH show.... :shock:

The Manaro was Clarkson's weapon of choice