PDA

View Full Version : NSX on Dyno Run (2 Runs)

nobby
06-09-2010, 03:33 PM
hi folks

Not sure if any of you are interested, but I had the my 94 NSX (JDM) dyno tested (rolling road) yesterday and below are the results obtained from the test. The dyno system is DASTEK and is 2wd and 4wd capable.

NB. the car has no modifications to the engine or induction HOWEVER has an exhaust replacement using Dali's Rice back box system (bought of Mark on here). No headers or cat mods have been carried out. Engine has been fully serviced by Sudesh during his refresh programme.

288 bhp maximum power (Engine)

245 bhp maximum power (Wheels)

212 lbs of Torque at peak power

I had AFR results etc too, and all were in very safe parameters and the controller said the engine was running very well in all areas no lean or rich readings. Not bad for a 16yr old motor I guess ... :unsure:

One thing of note is that the power curve on the NSX is very linear; the operator had never tested an NSX before he asked me if the VTEC was working! :) He was amazed as he is used to seeing other Honda's modified etc that has a spike when VTEC occurs.

What do you guys think of the results i.e. Good, bad, indifferent, etc?

Not sure how many of you have ever dyno'ed your car but how does this car compare to other pretty much standard cars?

simonprelude
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Without any comparisons to other cars on the same dyno........... then, great.

The best way to see if your car is running right is to compare against other cars on the same dyno on the same day.

gumball
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
That wouldn't account for accuracy of dyno either, just tell you if your car is more or less powerful than the others. I presume a dyno is calibrated otherwise what is it's purpose?

nobby
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
hi

well there was a number of other cars there namely the new RS Focus, and the owner thought the readings were spot on, so i guess the RR used is not too far off, but there is a variance i am sure to the readings and real driving.

just put the results up to guage opinion if any on this forum as there are very knowledgeable people on here re the NSX

regards

NoelWatson
06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
hi

well there was a number of other cars there namely the new RS Focus, and the owner thought the readings were spot on, so i guess the RR used is not too far off, but there is a variance i am sure to the readings and real driving.

just put the results up to guage opinion if any on this forum as there are very knowledgeable people on here re the NSX

regards

Don't most of the RS's only have 280bhp on rolling roads?

Senninha
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Nobby,

If you've not already seen it, have a search for the TDI rolloing road event of about a year ago. There were 10 cars tested with various mods and results which might give you some interesting feedback.

People far more technical than me suggest that if you want to release good gains from the NA1 engine, you need to swap out the old cast manifold in favour of a decent set of headers, ie 3 branch equal length manifold. Even with std exhaust/cats this will release more ponies than a nice sounding exhaust.

If you are minded to then the addition of a larger airbox and CATs could give you a little more as well as further smoothing out the power delivery. This is what I've done with mine and it has worked well for me.

Good results on a virtually stock car!

regards, Paul

nobby
06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
hi paul

many thanks for the feedback. i will have a gander at the thread you discussed.

as for further mods for performance gains on the car, these are going to have to wait for a bit. I have a number of other things to sort out on the car namely (in this order): -

full paintwork treatment/correction & detail
replacement of all engine hoses
replacement of A/C evaporator unit
upgrade of ABS system (as per Kaz recommendation)

then if i have any money left, a wife, and the actual car itself :eek:, I may consider the upgrade on the exhaust system you mentioned and again look at the work Kaz has done. Obviously I wont do squat until the boss-man over here (Sudesh) tells me otherwise :cool:

I modded my Evo prior to owning the NSX and thought the money involved in it was pretty heavy, however the NSX takes it to a completely different playing field tbh. And I am not sure I want to explore that avenue to much as i want to keep the car as intended as much as possible.

I am pleased with the results obtained on what is essentially a 'stock' car bar the back box. The old 3.0 5 speed JDM spec is certainly a fine donkey indeed. :)

Hi Nobby,

If you've not already seen it, have a search for the TDI rolloing road event of about a year ago. There were 10 cars tested with various mods and results which might give you some interesting feedback.

People far more technical than me suggest that if you want to release good gains from the NA1 engine, you need to swap out the old cast manifold in favour of a decent set of headers, ie 3 branch equal length manifold. Even with std exhaust/cats this will release more ponies than a nice sounding exhaust.

If you are minded to then the addition of a larger airbox and CATs could give you a little more as well as further smoothing out the power delivery. This is what I've done with mine and it has worked well for me.

Good results on a virtually stock car!

regards, Paul