PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of mint car

Shawnsx5
16-09-2010, 02:53 PM
What are peoples view on a fair price for 1991 red/black NSX with less then 30,000 miles, garaged, full history, showroom condition as new, 2 owners?

Neil

AR
16-09-2010, 03:04 PM
What are peoples view on a fair price for 1991 red/black NSX with less then 30,000 miles, garaged, full history, showroom condition as new, 2 owners?

Neil

Honda history?

When is the next TB/WP due?

Any accident history?

AC and Radio working?

How old are the tyres?

Shawnsx5
16-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda history? Yes

When is the next TB/WP due? Sorry what?

Any accident history? None

AC and Radio working? Yes

How old are the tyres, they look good for 5k

WhyOne?
16-09-2010, 04:10 PM
When is the next TB/WP due? Sorry what?

Timing Belt / Water Pump.

:)

Shawnsx5
16-09-2010, 04:16 PM
do not know, but assume OK as full honda service from new, the same garage and salesman since 1991!

nobby
16-09-2010, 04:40 PM
You need to CHECK IF THIS WORK HAS BEEN DONE

IF nothing on it, then most people on this board would advise replacement timing belt and water pump. It's a big service and there are other things tied to this service like valve clearances etc.

the other thing to factor in, is the engine hoses replacement. Kaz and Sudesh do this as part of their refresh programmes. Due to age of car, this is also something you should budget for.

My car is 16 yr old and I will be getting hose replacement done over the winter period.

There are other issues with a 91 car with low mileage to factor in as well. But better people qualified than me to tell you more about this. Browse the NSX Technical section and review Kaz's Health Check Service thread and Sudesh's Referesh Programme thread. This should provide even more information for you

GOOD LUCK, hope its the car you are looking for

do not know, but assume OK as full honda service from new, the same garage and salesman since 1991!

Nick Graves
16-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Judging by the sig. it's a car he's UNlooking for!

Depends how desperate you are to sell. If the car is truly exceptional (not just rose-tinted) it will command a much higher price. But it might take a long time to sell it.

Start too high, and the car will stick for so long, eveyone will think there's something wrong with it. So you'll end up pulling it for a month & try again lower.

Look at all the comparables (Pistonheads in particular) and judge it from there.

kevinpsw
16-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't think you've said manual. If it is auto it will be much harder to sell and need to be priced accordingly.

If it is manual and still the original clutch and I was the buyer I'd be thinking that after 19 years it will be well past its best.

Shawnsx5
16-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Nick,

Wow reading between lines eh - a dangerous and inaccurate art in this case.

My sig is out of date I sold a 91 car about 3 years ago to another member, I have been unable to change my signature. I am looking for a new car as I regret selling it.

I have looked at Pistonheads and Autotrader but find it hard to judge the value difference between low and high mileage cars across the wide age range as their are so few examples for sale.

My question is genuine, just hoping someone would give a figure or a range. There are no prises or penalties. Is £25k too much for a very low mileage 91 version, it is a manual and as far as I can see is absolutely genuine, well maintained paintwork and interior as new, when giving a view let's assume all the high cost items have good life left in them and the car is not a rogue in disguise.

So would anyone like to name a price that they think is reasonable? I promise I am not about to sell the car I have described but I might buy it.

Many thanks

Neil

nobby
16-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I enquired about a beautiful 91 car with around 15k on it. It was bordering on showroom condition; aside from all the servicing jobs that needed done I was looking at a purchase price of around 24k. But this car was absolutely MINT!

My question is genuine, just hoping someone would give a figure or a range. There are no prises or penalties. Is £25k too much for a very low mileage 91 version, it is a manual and as far as I can see is absolutely genuine, well maintained paintwork and interior as new, when giving a view let's assume all the high cost items have good life left in them and the car is not a rogue in disguise.

So would anyone like to name a price that they think is reasonable? I promise I am not about to sell the car I have described but I might buy it.

Many thanks

Neil

Senninha
16-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Neil,

You know how hard it will be to find another one .... its taken you (unofficially) 3 years. Personally I think its largely irrelavant what I or nay of us think its worth as we're not buying. Only you know what you are prepared to pay to replace you previous NSX.

My car had been on the board for a while, it was top money but it was what I wanted, I had a small haggle and brought home my NSX.

All the best, now go and haggle :)

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
17-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I tend to agree with Paul.

Low mileage, old cars in outstanding condition are increasingly difficult to come by, and are correspondingly tricky to value.

I recently saw an immaculate, low mileage CRX for sale, the owner was asking £8,000 which on the face of it seemed ridiculous for a little 18 year old Honda. I was still tempted & the car did sell quite quickly (though I don't know how much for). There will always be a market for cars like this.

If the car you are considering is as described (showroom condition, a proper Honda FSH, not serviced as the owner felt was appropriate for its mileage) I could see someone paying £25k for it.

AR
17-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I could see someone paying £25k for it.

I agree, with that.

markc
17-09-2010, 11:12 AM
If the car you are considering is as described (showroom condition, a proper Honda FSH, not serviced as the owner felt was appropriate for its mileage) I could see someone paying £25k for it.

If you found 2 identical model and spec early cars, in the exact same condition as verified by an independent inspection, I don't see a "proper" Honda FSH being worth more than and few hundred £'s, maybe £1000 tops?

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
17-09-2010, 11:32 AM
If you found 2 identical model and spec early cars, in the exact same condition as verified by an independent inspection, I don't see a "proper" Honda FSH being worth more than and few hundred £'s, maybe £1000 tops?

Cheers

Mark

Just to clarify, the point I was trying (and probably failing) to make was that the car ought to be serviced according to Honda's servicing schedule which on a car with such a low mileage would involve a lot of the schedule 'trip-points' being defined by age rather than mileage.

I have seen old, low mileage cars which claimed to have a FSH. Upon inspection, the SH was simply based on mileage and as such, the cars were grossly under-serviced in comparison to the manufacturer service schedule.

nobby
17-09-2010, 12:42 PM
bottom line is if you LIKE the car then ...

How much are YOU WILLING to pay based on what you see
HOw much are you WILLING to pay to put things right
How much do you WANT another NSX?
Unless you are truthful to yourself in all 3 areas then no point in asking anyone else a price on what they believe is right for this car

My advice is ALSO take someone along with you, who knows about NSX's and that way you can get good impartial NSX advice as well.

I followed these rules when i bought my NSX back in May this year, albeit point 3 was NOT 'another' but 'how much I wanted an NSX' and that was BADLY but I had Sudesh to keep me on the straight and narrow :laugh:

Nick Graves
17-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Nick,

My sig is out of date I sold a 91 car about 3 years ago to another member, I have been unable to change my signature. I am looking for a new car as I regret selling it.

I have looked at Pistonheads and Autotrader but find it hard to judge the value difference between low and high mileage cars across the wide age range as their are so few examples for sale.

Many thanks

Neil

Ah right! Talk about a red & black herring...

Obviously, the correct price is what someone is prepared to pay for it! 25 large seems too steep to me, for a 20 yo car. I'd be concerned about a lot of age-related stuff perishing, as opposed to anything wrong with it. But capacitors can leak on much younger cars too, I suppose. Then again, there ought to be nothing cosmetic to do.

BUT, if the car IS genuinely far better than anything else for 25 large then you might be tempted.

Without seeing the examples, it's very hard to ascertain whether it is better value than, say, a tattier NA2 for the same money. That's ultimately your decision.

Orrr, you could beat up the trader who tried to make a turn on that purple Targa and have a few large in the bank in case it goes wrong!

Lankstarr
20-09-2010, 04:53 PM
£25k should buy you a much later car, maybe even a 3.2 with 70k miles.

Look at the differences between teh earlier and later cars and see if you want the old or slightly revised spec. What's your top budget? If it is £30k and you could be looking at a facelift car then I would hold out.

Saying all of that I think this is not unreasonably priced... certainly worth 22+ if it's exactly what it says it is. If you're going to do lots of miles you may lose a fair bit of the premium you're paying for this low mileage car, something that wouldn't happen (anywhere near as much) if you got a later car with 70-100k miles on the clock.

Have a drive, it would have to feel very good to pay £25k for it. Maybe before you do, let us know where you are and grab a ride in a later car to see if you want to hold out for one.

Cheers,

L*

rkanaga
22-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Nick,

Many thanks

Neil

Boy, now I actually feel guilty as it was me who bought Neil's car! Seriously though good luck with the hunt, and you look like you have found a good one there.

One bit of advice, get the window Dali fixit's done on a car of that age, and consider also the snap ring upgrade on the gearbox. It's much cheaper to do these things before they break.

Regards Robin.