View Full Version : Ayrton Senna's NSX for sale [Apparently]

Sudesh
23-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Just spotted this on the net:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?5008550-Ayrton-Senna-s-Honda-NSX

Nick Graves
24-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting thread!

It gives a car a lot of provenance, but would I pay extra for it personally? Not really.

I do wonder what became of LJK Setright's Prelude, though...

eclipse1501
24-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Interesting thread!

It gives a car a lot of provenance, but would I pay extra for it personally? Not really.

I do wonder what became of LJK Setright's Prelude, though...

Provenance? No. This is Senna. Using the word provenance is a bit like saying its got a "service history". It goes way beyond logic and value. Tell the Brazilians or Honda engineers who listened to his every word and input - your not really bothered. Where is your passion? Just tell us what turns you on? Honestly, Im intrigued to know!!

Papalazarou
24-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Provenance? No. This is Senna. Using the word provenance is a bit like saying its got a "service history". It goes way beyond logic and value. Tell the Brazilians or Honda engineers who listened to his every word and input - your not really bothered. Where is your passion? Just tell us what turns you on? Honestly, Im intrigued to know!!

I feel queasy.

AR
24-09-2010, 09:28 PM
would I pay extra for it personally? Not really.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5686/sennafacepalm.jpg

Justin
24-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Interesting thread!

I've gotta agree with that - it's a charming thread to read, but would it put a premium on the car? Well, obviously it will to some people, but the NSX has always been a driver's car rather than a fondler's car because of everything from the relatively narrow vtec bands to the lack of badge ostentation....

And I think it's down to that. The nsx is not an ostentatious car; for me it would feel weird seeing it put on a pedestal instead of on the tarmac - where it belongs.

unclebob
25-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey people, just remember we live in a world where marilyn monroes underwear sold for thousands, michael jacksons glove sold for mega bucks, handwritten beatles songs fetches thousands, so what do you think a car owned by ayrton senna will sell for? Of course it will sell for a premium, youre buying a piece of motoring history...! If i had the cash of course i would buy it and of course i would pay the premium for it.

Papalazarou
25-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey people, just remember we live in a world where marilyn monroes underwear sold for thousands, michael jacksons glove sold for mega bucks, handwritten beatles songs fetches thousands, so what do you think a car owned by ayrton senna will sell for? Of course it will sell for a premium, youre buying a piece of motoring history...! If i had the cash of course i would buy it and of course i would pay the premium for it.

Thought I was just feeling a little off colour, but think I will probably be sick now.

Nick Graves
25-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I feel queasy.

Me three!

As if hero-worshipping a F1 driver isn't a bit ghey already...

AR
25-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Me three!

As if hero-worshipping a F1 driver isn't a bit ghey already...

What can you say to that...that is without breaking the board rules or the rules of decency.

PeteM
25-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Okay I will probably be banned from this forum and have death threats for this post but what the heck!

Firstly I have a lot of respect for Ayrton Senna. Donnington 93 in the wet immediatly springs to mind, he was an amazing driver with immense natural talent, but I believe that (and I am prepared to be proved wrong) the majority of contribution to the nsx by him was PR and not actual development of the car.

There are a couple of videos of him driving Nsx's around circuits, in one of which he is seen commenting on some tyres. There are also lots of photos of him with the car but as yet I have seen little evidence visually or written that he actually massivley affected any area of the NSX during development. Never seen a picture of him with a prototype for example.

There are far more un-sung heroes who in my opinon had a greater input into the car's development such as Satoru Nakajima but association with him doesn't sell cars in the same way as Senna (globally).

Many people believe the Nsx had provenance with Senna rightly or wrongly and that's fine. I personally wouldn't pay the premium, even if I had it, for one of his cars. I would rather have one of the first cars off the production line with interesting life history, launch car at the public unveiling for example.

I am a massive champion of the NSX, its abillites and outstanding engineering achievments but personally take the Senna link with a pinch of salt. For me the engineers and designers deserve far more credit.

No wish to offend anyone, just drive them and enjoy!

Regards.

AR
25-09-2010, 08:53 PM
But if you are a Senna and NSX fan then is priceless, full stop.

Nick Graves
26-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Now I've recovered from the probably unintentional humour of Eclipse's query (!) it probably deserves a more serious answer.

As you've probably deduced from previous posts, there are a variety of subject which fascinate me, from economics to music to beer and the motor industry generally.

I'm not a great fan of sports, nor sportsmen in particular. Their focus seems to lead to something of a personality bypass, generally. That's not to deny that Mr. Senna was one of the most talented drivers, nor to deny his contribution to the torsional rigidity of the NSX or to its promulgation from experimental project to its production as a function of Honda's halo statement of its then success in F1.

I am sure there are fans, for whom the provenance of such a vehicle is far more profound.

What I do enjoy is driving the NSX; like the other Hondas I own, I find it has an intangible likeability, a function of its performance, practcality, visibility and ergonomics that exceed that of comparable designs. My preference for rationality makes that likeability even harder to define; certain cars have it, others ought to but do not. It's a function of the 'DNA' of the car maker; a mindset of the design team if you will.

So I have no hero-worship, as such. I do greatly admire some of the leading figures and designers (many unsung) of the motor industry, more than mere sportsmen.

Certainly, the list must include the great pioneers; Ettore Bugatti, Hans Ledwinka, Aurelio Lampredi, etc. I also in particular admire Carl F W Borgward, Colin Chapman and naturally Soichiro Honda for their self-made achievements.

When the contents of Borgward's house was sold off a few years back, someone apparently expressed an interest in buying his bed. I personally find that very distasteful, but I can understand the 'collectability' of other items, perhaps.

I can also understand why a group of S2000 owners enjoyed meeting and even had their cars signed by Shigeru Uehara. I didn't, but obviously have a great deal of respect for the guy.

Also Nobuhiko Kawamoto, who actually run the company so successfully after Honda's forced 'retirement' and yet who kept his spirit of innovation alive. After he retired, someone asked him for his autograph. He asked "Why? I'm just an old man" A lot of these high achievers only see themselves as ordinary folk and would be embarrassed to be deified.

The ownership of a car by Senna does not make it actually drive any better than any other mass-produced NSX; I am highly dubious of anything superstitious which might suggest the contrary and generally discourage irrational beliefs. Insofar as any of us is entirely rational of course! We all tend to find false-positives somewhere. So it's worth no more to me than one signed by Ueharasan, for example.

gumball
26-09-2010, 08:13 AM
The fact remains the provenance makes it worth more, like a McQueen Porsche or Coburn Ferrari.

AR
26-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Now I've recovered from the probably unintentional humour of Eclipse's query (!) it probably deserves a more serious answer.

As you've probably deduced from previous posts, there are a variety of subject which fascinate me, from economics to music to beer and the motor industry generally.

I'm not a great fan of sports, nor sportsmen in particular. Their focus seems to lead to something of a personality bypass, generally. That's not to deny that Mr. Senna was one of the most talented drivers, nor to deny his contribution to the torsional rigidity of the NSX or to its promulgation from experimental project to its production as a function of Honda's halo statement of its then success in F1.

I am sure there are fans, for whom the provenance of such a vehicle is far more profound.

What I do enjoy is driving the NSX; like the other Hondas I own, I find it has an intangible likeability, a function of its performance, practcality, visibility and ergonomics that exceed that of comparable designs. My preference for rationality makes that likeability even harder to define; certain cars have it, others ought to but do not. It's a function of the 'DNA' of the car maker; a mindset of the design team if you will.

So I have no hero-worship, as such. I do greatly admire some of the leading figures and designers (many unsung) of the motor industry, more than mere sportsmen.

Certainly, the list must include the great pioneers; Ettore Bugatti, Hans Ledwinka, Aurelio Lampredi, etc. I also in particular admire Carl F W Borgward, Colin Chapman and naturally Soichiro Honda for their self-made achievements.

When the contents of Borgward's house was sold off a few years back, someone apparently expressed an interest in buying his bed. I personally find that very distasteful, but I can understand the 'collectability' of other items, perhaps.

I can also understand why a group of S2000 owners enjoyed meeting and even had their cars signed by Shigeru Uehara. I didn't, but obviously have a great deal of respect for the guy.

Also Nobuhiko Kawamoto, who actually run the company so successfully after Honda's forced 'retirement' and yet who kept his spirit of innovation alive. After he retired, someone asked him for his autograph. He asked "Why? I'm just an old man" A lot of these high achievers only see themselves as ordinary folk and would be embarrassed to be deified.

The ownership of a car by Senna does not make it actually drive any better than any other mass-produced NSX; I am highly dubious of anything superstitious which might suggest the contrary and generally discourage irrational beliefs. Insofar as any of us is entirely rational of course! We all tend to find false-positives somewhere. So it's worth no more to me than one signed by Ueharasan, for example.

Still is worth more. :)

No matter what Mr.Spock would logically think of it.

TheSebringOne
26-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Everyone entitled to their own personal opinions about would they buy a collector's item if they could afford to, but in the real world, some wealthy person out there would pay a premium for the priviledge and they are entitled to do that as its' their own money. Me, personally, I don't know, if I had the money, maybe? but it depends how much it goes for? If you admire someone alot you may, if you don't, then you won't. Just my 2p!

jaytip
27-09-2010, 10:59 AM
As someone said earlier,Michael Jacksons glove sold for stupid money,did he design it? no.He owned it and wore it and that is enough for fans and collectors.
Senna's involvement in the making of the NSX is irrelevent,it's the fact that one of the best drivers who has ever lived owned and drove it.If you are wealthy enough and a big enough Senna fan,you would buy it.Simle as that.

Nick Graves
27-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Probably a good job they do.

Also helps keep the Tracey Emins of this world off the dole, too.

Justin
27-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm gonna buy Senna's car, and cruise around in it with Michael Jackson's glove on. :cool:

Now, what else could I get to complete the ensemble????

nobby
27-09-2010, 01:15 PM
It would be a great buy for someone for those who are a massive fan of F1 and the great man himself, but its all relative to those interested in the car and what they want to pay for it ... in my opinion

IF it was in really great nick (assuming it is) and i was told it was A.S's old car i may be willing to pay a few extra quid for it obviously, but i would be judging the car purely on its MERITS not just because who owned it.

I recently saw an ad for Alice Cooper's NSX (assuming it was TRUE) and I would have killed dead things to have bought that, as I hold this man to a higher estmeen than A.S. as I love music more than F1 ... but even then i was merely interested in the market value of the car. Yes of course i would have been willing to pay an extra premium based on who owned it but NOT MEGA bucks even though i am a die hard fan. Plus i would have got him to sign the seats and get them professionally stiched in along with signatures and log books PURELY for me!

It was no good to me anyway as it was a yank mobile, it was in the US and also an auto ... :no:

but getting back to thread, I would consider a small premium to add to this car (as its a personal thing for each and every one of us), and if I bought it I WOULD DRIVE IT! A.S. no doubt would have approved as well, the NSX is a driver's car. As Justin in a previous post stated the "NSX is there to be driven" and i agree 100%

just my 2p's worth :)

nakamichi
27-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm gonna buy Senna's car, and cruise around in it with Michael Jackson's glove on. :cool:

Now, what else could I get to complete the ensemble????
Noddy Holders top hat?

Nick Graves
27-09-2010, 02:07 PM
It would be a great buy for someone for those who are a massive fan of F1 and the great man himself, but its all relative to those interested in the car and what they want to pay for it ... in my opinion

IF it was in really great nick (assuming it is) and i was told it was A.S's old car i may be willing to pay a few extra quid for it obviously, but i would be judging the car purely on its MERITS not just because who owned it.

I recently saw an ad for Alice Cooper's NSX (assuming it was TRUE) and I would have killed dead things to have bought that, as I hold this man to a higher estmeen than A.S. as I love music more than F1 ... but even then i was merely interested in the market value of the car. Yes of course i would have been willing to pay an extra premium based on who owned it but NOT MEGA bucks even though i am a die hard fan. Plus i would have got him to sign the seats and get them professionally stiched in along with signatures and log books PURELY for me!

It was no good to me anyway as it was a yank mobile, it was in the US and also an auto ... :no:

but getting back to thread, I would consider a small premium to add to this car (as its a personal thing for each and every one of us), and if I bought it I WOULD DRIVE IT! A.S. no doubt would have approved as well, the NSX is a driver's car. As Justin in a previous post stated the "NSX is there to be driven" and i agree 100%

just my 2p's worth :)

Alice Cooper recently stated the best car he'd ever owned was a Honda Prelude! Clearly a great guy!

NSX 2000
27-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Probably a good job they do.

Also helps keep the Tracey Emins of this world off the dole, too.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a funny story about the time I meet Tracey Emin (or should I say when Tracey Emin meet me). If you come to the dinner on the 29th October I'll tell you the whole story :D

Paul

eclipse1501
27-09-2010, 03:15 PM
"Could I be bothered paying a premium to hire this Brazilian kid?"

Its just sometimes in your life you get a chance to work with people who are a bit different. Present company on this board, at least some, excluded!

nobby
27-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Did he?

where did he state that?

had not heard this, but had read he has owned a number of NSX's during his time. It was ideal for him as it had a boot for golf clubs! :no:

He is the MAN! I had the pleasure of meeting him as well. A true gentleman

But lets not hi-jack this thread as it is about another GREAT MAN ...

Alice Cooper recently stated the best car he'd ever owned was a Honda Prelude! Clearly a great guy!