PDA

View Full Version : Those NA1 NSX-R Differences in full

nationofzeros
25-09-2010, 04:35 PM
No doubt this is the nth time this question has been asked, but I am looking to compile a definitive list of differences between the NA1 NSX-R and the standard manual equivalent

This is what I know ; any improvements welcome !

Aluminium bumpers
Hand balanced engine & drivetrain
Titanium con rods
Higher rev limit
Lower final drive
Different exhaust back box
Black water header sleeve
Titanium gearknob, shorter shift
Different clutch pedal
No foglights at front
Red / silver HONDA badge
Black HONDA logo at rear
NSX-R badging on doors
NSX-R plates & build number on sills
Kevlar RECARO bucket seats, LHS fixed
Alacantara interior
Thinner glass between cockpit & engine bay
Carbon fibre effect instrument surround
MOMO steering wheel
De-specced radio&aircon
Semi extended aerial option
Thinner gearstick surround
Thinner carpets
Different shocks & springs, different suspension geometry settings
ENKEI 5 spoke lightweight 15" / 16" white wheels with white / red centres

Any morefor any more ?

Chris

NSXGB
25-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Titanium con rods
MOMO steering wheel
De-specced radio&aircon
Semi extended aerial option

Chris

All NSX have Ti con rods.
MOMO wheel was an option.
A/C and radio was an option on R
Half height aerial was standard on all JDM NSX.

AFAIK.

Sudesh
25-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Enkeis were not on all NA1 NSX-R's

So off the the top of my head

Yellow speedo needles
Front AC Stone shields [where fogs would be]
Console, door and steering garnish in different finish
No electric mirrors
Coin tray where Electric mirrors switch would be
Depending on spec some have a coin tray behind the gear shift [where 4 buttons would be]
Gear gaiter is different
Clutch has damperless joint
Red stitching on dash
Red stitching on handbrake cover
No cruise control
Cruise control blank where button would be
No TCS
TCS Blank where switch would be
Rev Counter doesnt display "Crusie" its blanked
Armrest is different [Single lid no badge]
7 Spoke Alloys In White [weight is apparently different too]???
Wheels studs in silver/chrome
Centre Cap is different
Tool Kit is smaller
Roof Lining is Different
Gear Stalk is threaded different
NO EPS
MOMO Boss/Hub
Mesh Engine cover
Black Engine Bay no matter what color the car is
Engine Plate was different color and logo filled in red with silver H
No central locking
Blanks were locking buttons would be
No Electric Boot Release
Mesh Side Vents
No Passenger Airbag

Senninha
25-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Did the NA1 calipers differ in piston size like the NA2?

Exhaust tips round and untrimmed like std NA1 coupe
No headlamp washer system as all JDM cars
No engine bay fan??

Not sure I can think of any others ... but I know a man who just might :)

AR
25-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Chris,

Range 7 colder plugs
Chassis stiffening bars
Different tool kit

Sudesh,shifter stalk is female instead of male and the roof is different from JDM but same as UK coupe.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
25-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Did the NA1 calipers differ in piston size like the NA2?

Exhaust tips round and untrimmed like std NA1 coupe
No headlamp washer system as all JDM cars
No engine bay fan??

Not sure I can think of any others ... but I know a man who just might :)

Not sure on the calipers?

Exhaust tips as far as I'm aware are Slash Cut from production start to finish on NA1 NSX-R, also the exhaust box was painted black

I didnt included headlight wash as that's a standard thing on JDM and US cars

Engine Bay fan delete became standard on all cars from 94 on from memory [apart from autos]

Sudesh
25-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Sudesh, the roof is different from JDM but same as UK coupe.

Cheers,

AR

Yeah I recall that from our recent chat Ary.

Although I get the meaning of the thread there are allot of differences between UK/JDM/NSX-R/AUTO an manual cars.Also year and specs play a big part too.

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi, Chris.

Very interesting thread and depends on how you take the meaning of the word ‘in full’.

I think Sudesh made very good point on this especially, about the year and spec.

Although I get the meaning of the thread there are allot of differences between UK/JDM/NSX-R/AUTO an manual cars. Also year and specs play a big part too.

On the NA1 Type-R catalogue, there are only small numbers of special parts being highlighted but if you went through the JDM parts list or worked on the actual Type-R NSX, there were 100’s of differences.

For example, lots of people knew about the black rubber cover for the coolant header tank and also the aluminium meshed engine cover but not many peope is aware of the rubber/silicone cover on most of the individual electrical connectors inside the engine bay.

Even for the limited short production term for the NA1 Type-R, there were several modification over the years.

Originally, all Type-R was equipped with Enkei 15/16 wheels with special tyre BS 010R only for Type-R but later, there was an option to select 16/17 wheels in almost the same design as the standard one but yet different in the weight and centre cap + another special tyre only for Type-R.

By the way, the original Enkei was NOT painted in Championship White that was the main theme colour for Type-R but instead, it was in Newton White Pearl whereas the optional 16/17 ones were indeed in Championship White.

There was a change in the brake pad material (introduction of red GP pad) and at the same time, it removed the outer pad shim at the front.

As it will take ages to write down all of the differences including the ECU, bolts, nuts, bushes, etc and then all the changes/differences after any modifications were made over the years, followings are the points that were highlighted in the NA1 Type-R catalogue.

These were the special parts/features for NA1 Type-R compared to the standard model at the time of release. These were correct at the time of release but may have been altered/shared with other models later.

Exterior
Aluminium framed and meshed engine maintenance lid
Low specific gravity SMC rear spoiler/wing with 3rd brake light
Special Front Honda Emblem
Special side emblem at the door
Special Rear 'H' logo
Aluminium meshed side air intake guard + front duct cover
Special larger diameter exhaust tail pipe
Special engine head cover

Tyre/wheel
Special tyre
Special 15/16 Enkei wheel

Instrument panel
6 x Yellow needle
Carbon look meter panel
Momo steering wheel

Chassis dynamics
Ventilated brake splash guard
Special damper
Special spring + bush rate
Special final ratio
Special LSD (higher pre-load)
Shorter clutch pedal stroke
2 x Reinforcement bar at the front
Aluminium door beam
Aluminium front & rear bumper beam
Smaller battery size

Interior
Titanium shift knob
Swede like interior
Loop pile floor carpet
Matt black special coated centre panel + door panel + steering column cover
Black plated parking brake lever button
Aluminium side sill plate
Special arm rest centre console
Auto Heater

Seat
Recaro carbon/aramid composite seat (Driver: electrical power slide, Pass.: fixed)

Factory fitted optional equipment
Full automatic A/C Climate control
Honda/Bose audio system + auto aerial with half height switch equipped
Real carbon for centre panel + door

Colour
Addition of Special theme colour: Championship White

Etc.
Removal of SRS Air bag system
Removal of TCS, Cruise control, electric door mirror control
Special alignment with lowered rideheight
Single glazed rear partition glass
Higher accuracy on specially balanced engine parts
Removal of noise deadening material

And the list goes on but I need to go back to work ….

Kaz

nationofzeros
26-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks fellow NSX afficianados, an awesome and definitive display of club knowledge !

Amazing how much the car was altered in the finer details...

Kaz, as you know, I am a fan of the ENKEIs, but didn't realise there was a 16 / 17" ENKEI option. Presumably these were thin 5 spoke wheel designs like the 15" / 16" standard NSX-R ENKEIs, only an inch larger in diameter ? I seem to recall Paul having some of these on his 'wrapped' NSX-R lookalike. If these were genuinely either an NSX-R option, or standard fit at some stage, I really fancy getting a set !

Chris

Sudesh
26-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I think what Kaz was referring to is the 16/17 - 7 spoke wheels

Thanks fellow NSX afficianados, an awesome and definitive display of club knowledge !

Amazing how much the car was altered in the finer details...

Kaz, as you know, I am a fan of the ENKEIs, but didn't realise there was a 16 / 17" ENKEI option. Presumably these were thin 5 spoke wheel designs like the 15" / 16" standard NSX-R ENKEIs, only an inch larger in diameter ? I seem to recall Paul having some of these on his 'wrapped' NSX-R lookalike. If these were genuinely either an NSX-R option, or standard fit at some stage, I really fancy getting a set !

Chris

AR
26-09-2010, 06:21 PM
But even with all those mods Honda failed to address the BIG Elephant in the room. ( Power ) Correct me if I am wrong but the NA1-R still had the steel manifolds, regular cats and exhaust system.

Sudesh
26-09-2010, 06:28 PM
But even with all those mods Honda failed to address the BIG Elephant in the room. ( Power ) Correct me if I am wrong but the NA1-R still had the steel manifolds, regular cats and exhaust system.

Thats true, however I could be wrong in this but, in Japan at that time anyway, there was a "gentlemen agreement" to keep cars at 286hp or something along those lines, so maybe the exhaust was purposely kept like that to kinda detune the car??

Justin
26-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, the notion of a "gentlemens' agreement" (whatever that is in the context of car maker vs government) crops up again and again, but my read was that the agreement meant Honda wouldn't publish any improved power data, not that it would avoid making a power increase.

Indeed, if dynamic tolerances on the NSX-R were down to 1/10th of those for a standard NSX, it follows that power output must increase, as less power is lost fighting reciprocal imbalances.

So power will have been increased, it's just that Honda weren't saying by how much. With something like 483 NA1 cars produced in NSX-R trim, I suppose it was a fairly moot point anyways.

Sudesh
26-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Rather than increase power, they dropped weight on the NSX-R!

Indeed, if dynamic tolerances on the NSX-R were down to 1/10th of those for a standard NSX, it follows that power output must increase, as less power is lost fighting reciprocal imbalances.

So power will have been increased, it's just that Honda weren't saying by how much. With something like 483 NA1 cars produced in NSX-R trim, I suppose it was a fairly moot point anyways.

Justin
26-09-2010, 08:31 PM
That's not to say I disagree with Ary though - you can't blueprint your way out of this:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Justin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/elephant_in_living_room.jpg

Justin
26-09-2010, 08:33 PM
But yes, you can put it on a diet :D:D:D

markc
26-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Probably but not necessarily. Sometimes a combination of tolerances conspire to make an unusually strong engine.

Cheers

Mark

Justin
26-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Probably but not necessarily. Sometimes a combination of tolerances conspire to make an unusually strong engine.
Mark

Good point Mark, and I know from A-series experience that Longbridge and Cowley relied on this phenomenon quite a bit!

Sudesh
26-09-2010, 08:50 PM
All wise words but something that I think always escapes allot of minds is, the NSX was designed in the late 80's and essentially a 90's car. Being that its a rare car and personally I think, hasnt dated a whole lot, then it gets compared to supercars of todays standard quite a bit, and the age difference is forgot about along with performance figures and so forth.

Justin
26-09-2010, 09:03 PM
All wise words but something that I think always escapes allot of minds is, the NSX was designed in the late 80's and essentially a 90's car. Being that its a rare car and personally I think, hasnt dated a whole lot, then it gets compared to supercars of todays standard quite a bit, and the age difference is forgot about along with performance figures and so forth.

Hey, please don't get me wrong Sudesh. I'm all in favour of the NSX philosphy. I really hate the "ain't no replacement for displacement" approach to engine design, and am firmly in favour of Uehara's philosophy:

"I personally prefer to improve the performance of a vehicle via an efficient engine and body rather than simply employing an increase in power."

So nothing I've been saying is an attack on that approach. Keep it nimble, light and free-revving... that's why I like the 748 duke so much, and it's why I'm looking for an NSX of my own. :rolleyes:

Sudesh
26-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Not at all Justin! You dont know me that well yet lol; I very VERY rarely get bothered about things lol. I see your point and just added my last post as it's something that can be forgotten about these days when talking to people.

Hey, please don't get me wrong Sudesh. I'm all in favour of the NSX philosphy. I really hate the "ain't no replacement for displacement" approach to engine design, and am firmly in favour of Uehara's philosophy:

"I personally prefer to improve the performance of a vehicle via an efficient engine and body rather than simply employing an increase in power."

So nothing I've been saying is an attack on that approach. Keep it nimble, light and free-revving... that's why I like the 748 duke so much, and it's why I'm looking for an NSX of my own. :rolleyes:

Justin
26-09-2010, 09:23 PM
It's a good point Sudesh, and you're dead right. Anyway, we're way off topic here so I'll shut up now!

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-09-2010, 09:27 PM
For your reference, NSX project and concept were never aimed for the big hp engine. Type-R concept followed the same.

In fact, it never started like [let’s make a super car - NSX].

It originally started as a case study of engine and cabin capacity layout evaluation by putting the engine under the seat. It showed very interesting result but couldn’t justify the advantage with the huge increase in cost against the Front engine Front drive (FF) layout which was common on ordinary production car at that time and thus, the project was even postponed.

More story to follow one day when I have more time ...

Kaz

AR
26-09-2010, 10:01 PM
One can't help but to think that the NSX started a lot like a certain Rover:

http://austin-rover.co.uk/images/roy_axe_02.jpg

http://austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?axeemailsf.htm

AR
27-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Thread gone cold :)

Senninha
27-09-2010, 10:31 PM
NSX-R .... 4 simple letters .... so few examples .... only 3 confrimed in the UK .... the NA2 is for sale (possibly) .... one NA1 owner started this thread .... the other NA1 sits patiently waiting to come out and play :cool:

Why does this NSX create such interest when almost everyone you talk too, and each of the owners here suggest it is great on track but not the car for the 'regular' use most of us put our cars too .... to hard, too fidgity, too noisey.

If I had one it would have to be OEM stock in appearance at least, as this is how they should be IMO.

As for the question at the head of this thread ... there are clearly more than many of us thought. Several are worthy additions to the non-R models, especially the chassis tweaks and engine cover ... oh yes ... and I wouldn't mind the seats, preferably in Type S black :)

regards, Paul

AR
27-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes but what about the ARG MG- EXE...:) If only.

Senninha
27-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes but what about the ARG MG- EXE...:) If only.

And there was me being all serious and trying to warm up the thread again for you ... I'm off to be bed as the alarm goes off in just over 5 hours :snooze:

AR
27-09-2010, 10:53 PM
LOL Seriously the NA1R is a really nice stock NSX but for many reasons, is not for everyone.

nationofzeros
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
NSX-R .... 4 simple letters .... so few examples .... only 3 confrimed in the UK .... the NA2 is for sale (possibly) .... one NA1 owner started this thread .... the other NA1 sits patiently waiting to come out and play :cool:

Why does this NSX create such interest when almost everyone you talk too, and each of the owners here suggest it is great on track but not the car for the 'regular' use most of us put our cars too .... to hard, too fidgity, too noisey.

If I had one it would have to be OEM stock in appearance at least, as this is how they should be IMO.

As for the question at the head of this thread ... there are clearly more than many of us thought. Several are worthy additions to the non-R models, especially the chassis tweaks and engine cover ... oh yes ... and I wouldn't mind the seats, preferably in Type S black :)

regards, Paul

Paul, I'm not too sure about too hard or fidgety, too understeery for sure unless you are a trail braking hero, but as for the noise, you definitely benefit from a pair of -20dB earplugs on a long journey !

I have heard rumours about the mystical 2nd NA1 NSX-R - come out, come out, wherever you are !

Chris

Sudesh
01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I believe the second one is owned by flemke of the PH forums.

Paul, I'm not too sure about too hard or fidgety, too understeery for sure unless you are a trail braking hero, but as for the noise, you definitely benefit from a pair of -20dB earplugs on a long journey !

I have heard rumours about the mystical 2nd NA1 NSX-R - come out, come out, wherever you are !

Chris

AR
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe the second one is owned by flemke of the PH forums.

I remember that car it was for sale for £26K it was Charlotte green too and the interior was very faded looking almost brown.

I believe the current owner has carried out a high standard colourchange to white. I have not seen the pictures but he has posted that he is very pleased with the car.

markc
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I remember that car it was for sale for £26K it was Charlotte green too and the interior was very faded looking almost brown.

I believe the current owner has carried out a high standard colourchange to white. I have not seen the pictures but he has posted that he is very pleased with the car.

I'm pretty sure I viewed the car at the "Garage on the Green" in West London when it first came into the country, from Australia, back in 1998/99 (I think). It was beautiful back then and on sale for £48K.

I met Mr Flemke with his fabulous McLaren F1 once, he tried the seats of my NSX for size at a petrol station, and just looking at the McLaren you tell that he doesn't do anything by halves. I believe he's also contemplating a colour change on the F1 after a autobahn incident lead to it being damaged, maybe he'll have the two cars colour matched :)

Cheers

Mark

dan the man
06-10-2010, 01:10 AM
This is what I know ; any improvements welcome !

Aluminium bumpers

Chris

. For real?

Sudesh
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
. For real?

Bumpers are the same, but the bumper/impact beam was lighter, became standard on later cars though.

dan the man
07-10-2010, 02:49 AM
needs wording better then i guess....

Senninha
07-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Well if he has then its only in the past few months ... its still Charlotte Green with a faultless interior and the same white blades as on CHris's car.

The whole car looks to be in good condition ...

jamieburke
16-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Guys any idea on the weight of the 15/16 enkeis? I'd be obsessively interested to know. . . .

Jamie

AR
16-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Somebody had some on prime and I remember them saying 13 lbs front and close to 16 lbs rear.

Senninha
16-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I met Mr Flemke with his fabulous McLaren F1 once, he tried the seats of my NSX for size at a petrol station, and just looking at the McLaren you tell that he doesn't do anything by halves. I believe he's also contemplating a colour change on the F1 after a autobahn incident lead to it being damaged, maybe he'll have the two cars colour matched :)

Cheers

Mark

I did read that he'd done a lot of suspension work to the F1, re-engineering parts and bespoke copies of the OEM wheels just larger to offer better tyre options

I think it would be shame if he changed the colour. I believe his is one of the (even) rarer versions to have the hafl mast rear view mirrors ...

Mark, as he owns two NSX I guess he liked the seats ...

jamieburke
17-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Ar- thank you, I shall check the difference between the oem 15/16 combo!