PDA

View Full Version : Taillight covers

gcon45
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Just got my JDM taillights from Honda but I've noticed they don't come with the black plastic covers (and screws) that run along the top edges of the lights.

Does anyone know if these are the same from 91-05 (JDM & UK)?

Part numbers would be much appreciated too.

Cheers!

NSXGB
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
this might help you mate...

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/electrical/b__09-1999-acura-nsx-2dr-nsx-ka6mt-taillight.html

Sudesh
06-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Just got my JDM taillights from Honda but I've noticed they don't come with the black plastic covers (and screws) that run along the top edges of the lights.

Does anyone know if these are the same from 91-05 (JDM & UK)?

Part numbers would be much appreciated too.

Cheers!

They should be the same, so just un-screw the ones on your 02 lights and swap them over. I done this when I got the NSX-R centre piece. Would also be good time to add new tail light seals if you didnt get them already

AR
06-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Same part, just transfer over as Sudesh said.

gcon45
07-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Cheers lads.

Would also be good time to add new tail light seals if you didnt get them already

Yeah Sudesh - I got a set as there are none provided with the new lights:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1987/p1030197.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/p1030197.jpg/)

It's amazing how plump they are compared to the ones that came off.

I guess the combination of heat build-up and compression squashes the gaskets over time.

I'm fitting the harnesses and gaskets to the new lights tonight.

The JDM lights have an extra space for a 501 bulb to go in on each side so I'm going to have to either plug that hole with a 25mm blanking grommet and a little silicone sealant or find a way of adding a 501 bulb holder on each side by feeding them off their respective harnesses.

Are the harnesses identical left and right by the way?

I assume the are as the lights are symmetrical in the way they function.

Should have marked them when disassembling them all the same!

Sudesh
07-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Interesting!

For some reason I thought UK 02 lights had the 3rd tail light, like JDM cars? or is the bulb different?

If its a case of 02 UK lights dont have a 3rd tail light then, you didnt need to order JDM light specifically because as far as I'm aware, UK and JDM tail light are the same color/shade.

UK and JDM harness will be different in that JDM cars dont have a rear fog light. Not quite sure on what bits you have connor but you will need to add a red bulb for your fog.

The tail lights from memory can be ordered as a total kit which includes bulbs, wiring harness, seals etc.

Did you get any of the wiring harness?

You may not have known, and it would have saved you some money but, you can order just the lamp units themselves and then all you had to do is swap the harness on the back of your lamps over.

Cheers lads.

The JDM lights have an extra space for a 501 bulb to go in on each side so I'm going to have to either plug that hole with a 25mm blanking grommet and a little silicone sealant or find a way of adding a 501 bulb holder on each side by feeding them off their respective harnesses.

Are the harnesses identical left and right by the way?

I assume the are as the lights are symmetrical in the way they function.

Should have marked them when disassembling them all the same!

gcon45
07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Interesting!

For some reason I thought UK 02 lights had the 3rd tail light, like JDM cars? or is the bulb different?

If its a case of 02 UK lights dont have a 3rd tail light then, you didnt need to order JDM light specifically because as far as I'm aware, UK and JDM tail light are the same color/shade.

UK and JDM harness will be different in that JDM cars dont have a rear fog light. Not quite sure on what bits you have connor but you will need to add a red bulb for your fog.

The tail lights from memory can be ordered as a total kit which includes bulbs, wiring harness, seals etc.

Did you get any of the wiring harness?

You may not have known, and it would have saved you some money but, you can order just the lamp units themselves and then all you had to do is swap the harness on the back of your lamps over.

02> cars have just the 2 tails Sudesh. I may add a third seeing as the space is there for an extra one though. This will come down to how feasible it is to integrate a feed for an extra light off my 02 harnesses though.

I will just have to change the furthest right 21W 382 bulb in the left cluster to a 21W 382R bulb (red) for MOT purposes (the car will never be driven in fog).

The lights were the only ones available from Honda Japan at the current time. The lights that were originally ordered came complete with harnesses but were more expensive. It turned out they were no longer available however.

Sudesh
07-10-2010, 09:45 PM
In that case Connor all you had to do was source UK tail lights or buy new UK lights, as I believe all you were after is the darker look, and as mentioned I dont think there is any difference in color/shade between UK and JDM.

I you had of found UK lights everything is pretty much plug and play as UK light dont have the 3rd socket and is already blanked.

In saying that you now have in my opinion a more desirable light, and I would add the 3rd light as its much nicer looking.

02> cars have just the 2 tails Sudesh. I may add a third seeing as the space is there for an extra one though. This will come down to how feasible it is to integrate a feed for an extra light off my 02 harnesses though.

I will just have to change the furthest right 21W 382 bulb in the left cluster to a 21W 382R bulb (red) for MOT purposes (the car will never be driven in fog).

The lights were the only ones available from Honda Japan at the current time. The lights that were originally ordered came complete with harnesses but were more expensive. It turned out they were no longer available however.

gcon45
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
In that case Connor all you had to do was source UK tail lights or buy new UK lights, as I believe all you were after is the darker look, and as mentioned I dont think there is any difference in color/shade between UK and JDM.

I you had of found UK lights everything is pretty much plug and play as UK light dont have the 3rd socket and is already blanked.

In saying that you now have in my opinion a more desirable light, and I would add the 3rd light as its much nicer looking.

Call me overparticular Sudesh but I just wanted the reverse and fog light lenses to be the same colour and as you say, I have to option of adding an extra tail on each side.

Sudesh
07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
lol Know how you feel Connor!

If it was just a clear fog light you were after then you could have stuck with the 02 lights and just bought a US passenger side tail light, that would have given you the clear fog, or even gone the whole hog and bought US driver and passenger side and you would have the 3rd tail light bulb too.

Call me overparticular Sudesh but I just wanted the reverse and fog lights the same colour and as you say, I have to option of adding an extra tail on each side.

gcon45
07-10-2010, 10:09 PM
lol Know how you feel Connor!

If it was just a clear fog light you were after then you could have stuck with the 02 lights and just bought a US passenger side tail light, that would have given you the clear fog, or even gone the whole hog and bought US driver and passenger side and you would have the 3rd tail light bulb too.

That's true Sudesh. I much prefer the earlier lights though.

I'm not a huge fan of the egg shape indicators of the facelift lights or the bright red lenses. They look great on different colour cars but against new formula red they look lost IMO.

Sudesh
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Cant complain with that!

Wouldnt swap my JDM setup for any others lol

Looking forward to seeing the pics as I have yet seen a facelift car with those lights.

Heard you may be taking a trip to the D&T barbecue this month, think Andrew is going too.

That's true Sudesh. I much prefer the earlier lights though.

I'm not a huge fan of the egg shape indicators of the facelift lights or the bright red lenses. They look great on different colour cars but against new formula red they look lost IMO.

gcon45
07-10-2010, 10:51 PM
That's right - I'm going to get down if I can arrange time away from work. Should be good.

That reminds me - I was supposed to remove that cruise control module for Andrew. I haven't had a spare minute in the past few weeks it seems!

nobby
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Hope you can make it Connor

Be great to see your car etc

Hoping to get down to this meself with the car

If you can get the CCM out for this, happy days!

hope to see u both on 23rd if not before then

:)

That's right - I'm going to get down if I can arrange time away from work. Should be good.

That reminds me - I was supposed to remove that cruise control module for Andrew. I haven't had a spare minute in the past few weeks it seems!