PDA

View Full Version : Difficultly removing relay

Dragonlady
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi,

We are trying to remove the relay for the fog light but it does not appear to want to play. Is there a technique to pulling the relay's out on '02 models? As much as we try the thing won't move.

Cheers

Sharon

Sudesh
10-10-2010, 03:30 PM
With a good grip it should come straight out. Dont grip too tight as the case can be broken easily, if you do break it, they are cheap to replace anyway

I know you mentioned having a fog light issue, so maybe its a case your relay has melted slightly somewhere and fused it to the track making it hard to remove??

Just a thought!

AR
10-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi guys my experience is similar to Sudesh's. If stuck just a gentle wiggle and they seem to come out.

Cheers,

AR

Nick Graves
10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
You might try a squirt of WD40 or Plus Gas under it and leave it a while.

Sometimes a bit of contact corrosion can make them seem welded in! Same with bulbs or fuses, or whatever.

Kaz-kzukNA1
10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
You may have already done this but please try this first.

Try to wiggle/rock the nearby relay of which the same model and get the feeling of its movement.

If the one you are trying to remove is rock solid and doesn't even move at all, then I’m afraid, as Sudesh mentioned, it is melted and you are going to struggle to remove it.

If you can wiggle/rock the relay but simply it doesn’t want to come off, then knowing the structure will help you.

In fact, I never managed to remove the relay by simply pulling it up or wiggling it. I always had to use the following method to remove it but probably, I was too cautious and didn't apply enough force.

7715 7716
The relay has the locking tab on each side.
Also, at the relay socket, there is a triangular lock at each side.

7717 7718
You need to wiggle/rock the relay to one side first.
You should hear faint clicking sound when you managed to unlock the relay tab from the socket. Then, I normally use thin Tyrap or similar small/thin material to keep the tab away from the lock on the socket. Then, rock the relay to the other side and it will come off with ease.

Be careful not to insert the Tyrap too much, applying too much force or even wiggling/rocking the relay with huge angle.
All the plastic or Peek like material under the bonnet has been exposed to the heat for a long period and thus, easy to break. I learnt it the hard way when I was trying to create the Rear Fog circuit on my JDM NSX more than 10 years ago.... I broke the tab on the relay as I wiggled the relay with great angle many times.

You only need the tip of the Tyrap to be inserted to the gap between the triangular lock at the socket and the tab on the relay to keep it in un-locked position.

Hope this will help.

Kaz