PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Module

Sudesh
13-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Its a long shot but, does anyone have a spare cruise control module from a manual transmission car that they fancy opening and taking some pics of the board? or could send to me for testing?

Reason I ask is, a few of us have JDM cars and JDM cars have a limiter on the cruise system which doesnt allows cruise to be set above 70mph.

So I have a feeling its down to the cruise control module. I have a spare JDM cruise module that I have opened up and would need either a US/UK/Europe module to compare to the JDM one.

If someone had one spare and didnt mind opening it and taking some HQ pics so I can see whats different inside it would help; or if you can send it to me it would mean I could plug it straight in and test if it is the module that limits the cruise on JDM cars.

It only take 5 mins to open it and it can be closed back up again and the module can still be used.

Happy to cover costs of postage, its a tiny box and weighs less than a mobile phone lol

It looks like this:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/DSC01686.jpg

Sudesh
23-10-2010, 08:52 PM
First Would like to thank Connor for taking the time and trouble one nite to look for the Cruise Module; as they say you learn something new every day and turned out 02+ cars dont have one so my thinking is drive by wire cars dont have the cruise module. Kaz will fill in the rest lol

Second would like to thanks Shane for spending some extra time today to allow me to borrow is UK Cruise Module.

So with Shane's module out, he immediately spotted the box/casing was larger. After taking the unit apart and pairing up the boards it was very clear to see the difference in size. At this point I dont think its a simple case of adding/removing chips/capacitors etc to make the JDM cruise work over the limiter.

Kaz, I would be very interested to hear your thought as always.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_2430.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_2431.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_2432.jpg

Sudesh
23-10-2010, 08:53 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_2433.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_2434.jpg

NSX 2000
23-10-2010, 10:48 PM
It's like playing "spot the differance". Can you see the diffeance between picture 1 and picture 2. :laugh:

At good guess one is CM01 control unit and the other is a CM02 control unit :laugh:

Sudesh
23-10-2010, 10:56 PM
It's like playing "spot the differance". Can you see the diffeance between picture 1 and picture 2. :laugh:

At good guess one is CM01 control unit and the other is a CM02 control unit :laugh:

There is much more going on than that!

I recently done a PCB upgrade between UK Mitsubishi 3000GT and JDM GTO and the findings was interesting. [well if your into that type of thing] lol

greenberet
25-10-2010, 10:24 AM
JDM cars have a limiter on the cruise system which doesnt allows cruise to be set above 70mph.
Just as a data point, the cruise control on my 1991 USDM NA1 5-speed cannot be set to speeds above 200 km/h (124 mph).

Sudesh
25-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Just as a data point, the cruise control on my 1991 USDM NA1 5-speed cannot be set to speeds above 200 km/h (124 mph).

Thanks for that info, thats good to know as one of the UK members was actually looking at purchasing the cruise module from the US!

nobby
25-10-2010, 01:41 PM
SOUNDS a GOOD enough limit TO ME :)

Thanks for that info, thats good to know as one of the UK members was actually looking at purchasing the cruise module from the US!

nsx009
15-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Bringing a old thread to life!
I have a JDM 1996 Coupe and the cruise wont engage over 109 KPH and I really need to sit on 113kph. Did you guys get anywhere with this as above? I have a 1995 Australian delivered Targa which sets at higher speeds, not sure how high, but could try that unit in the JDM car.
I am getting a speedlimiter from HKS to cover the 180 KPH restriction.
Thanks Scott

Kaz-kzukNA1
16-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Cruise control on DBW car is done through the ECU so it involves several things to change the max cruise speed limit. There seemed to be some filter/mapping used in order to prevent sudden change in speed or hunting so I don't think it will be a simple task compared to the non-DBW model.

For the non-DBW model, cruise control is calculated inside the control unit behind the glove box and it simply controls the actuator in front of the Brake master cyl.
On JDM model, the logic for the max cruise control speed can be changed.
I don't know how fast it can go as I don't have access to the rolling road but it's working on my JDM non-DBW NSX.

Not much help for you.....

Kaz

nsx009
17-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks Kaz for your thoughts.
I fitted the HKS unit in the loom before the ECU using the Japanese instructions and a Japanese NSX friend who translated, unfortunately it still is restricted. So that didnt work! I was going to temporarily swap ECUs from the Australian car into the JDM car to see if that worked on speed limit and cruise limiter, but the JDM car has 4 O2 sensors and the Aud car has 2 O2 sensors so thought that wasnt so smart.

Does anyone know which ECU from a USA car would work in the JDM car? I guess a DBW with 4 O2 sensors but think the USA CARS are OBD2 and the JDM is OBD1 for that vintage.

Thanks,
Scott

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Personally, I don't recommend swapping the ECU without first checking all of the pinout difference between the two ECU spec.
The EFI setting could be different depending on the country spec as well.

VSS signal on any JDM cars must follow the spec defined by JIS so the signal level is the same and just the number of pulses are difference between each Japanese car manufactures.

If you got HKS product for speed limiter purpose, then you are very likely to be using SLD Type 1.

Presuming that you wired it properly, the dip sw setting for both SW1 and SW 2 should be set all UPWARDS with the cable pointing down (when the SLD held VERTICALLY, the cable exits towards the ground and the SLD label on the case is in the correct orientation and not upside down).

You must keep the IG key in OFF position when making any changes to the DIP SW.

If it doesn't work with this setting, then chances are, the wire connection was not done properly or you have different product.

If it's SLD Type 1, then you should connect it as follows;
White: VSS INput from the VSS sensor on the Gbox.
Yellow: VSS OUTput to the ECU, connect this to the VSS terminal at the ECU.
Light Blue: Optional signal out put, required for some of Honda models that may show speedo stop working at around 170 – 180kph but probably not to be the case for your application.
Black: GND
Red: IG power. If you connected this to VB, you won't be able to change the DIP SW setting without disconnecting the battery first.

Good luck.

Kaz

nsx009
22-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Once again Thankyou so much Kaz for the info! Yes it is the SLD t1 and I wired it as you said. Not 100% sure about the DIN sws, maybe I have them upside down. Will check and report back.

Agree its probably better not to play with the ECU. The JDM car has many differences to the Australian delivered car.

Cheers
Scott

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-03-2015, 11:58 AM
If wired properly, then chances are, your SW setting was upside down.

The diagram included in the kit is confusing especially if one forgot to notice the small print written at the side.

The diagram for NSX setup is as follows. This is when looked at the SLD face with the cable exit pointing the ground.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uiXddo9FIFQ/VQ_9AqkcA_I/AAAAAAAAYRk/lPrVOhKaIhY/s400/DIP%2520SW.jpg

Because the DIP SW on the SLD Type 1 has white body slider for each bit (switch), one would assume to set them as in the above diagram showing the white marker at the bottom side towards the cable exit.

However, there is a small print stating that the user should set each slider to the black marked position so kind of opposite relationship between the colour on the actual hardware and the diagram.

So, all 4 sliders at the SW2 and 1 slider at SW1 should be set towards the top side, opposite to the cable exit of the unit.

Hope it's just the DIP SW setting issue and nothing else.
Please remember that you must completely power off the SLD unit before making any changes to the DIP SW setting. Otherwise, the changes won't be registered on the hardware.

Kaz

nsx009
20-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Hi Kaz,
You are a genius and 100% correct! I had the DIN switches upside down and only had a chance to try it today, now works as it should. Your right, the instructions and drawing with the unit are very confusing as well as being in Japanese, which didnt help me.
The cruise still wont set above the 109 kph mark and it sounds like swaping ECUs is going to be tricky.
So will learn to live with it and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks again for your help on this.......brilliant!

Scott

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Hi Scott.
Good to know that the SLD is working now.

From what you wrote, I believe you can now go beyond the 180kph JDM speed limiter but the Cruise Control (CC) still won’t allow you to set above 109kph.
This was expected because as in my previous post, the CC on DBW is done inside the ECU so you need to either change the software or carry out further modification on the hardware side.

I never looked at the design of SLD but if you didn’t see the change on the CC after installing the SLD, I guess the SLD is designed to pass through the factory VSS signal until reaching the really high speed range and once it gets close to 180kph, let’s say like 177kph, it may clamp the VSS signal there to pretend to be below 180kph even beyond that point.

I have never studied the non-JDM ECU so don’t know whether there is special jumper or resistor to change the country spec of CC.
The software is IP related so I’m afraid all I can say is, I don’t know.
I know what needs to be done on the non-DBW JDM model and that’s what I’m running/testing in all sorts of speed range at the moment.

I know some people managed to go beyond 109kph on the DBW model but the stepping motor control was not smooth under several driving conditions so not ideal for CC purpose.

Kaz

hkz286
20-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I know what needs to be done on the non-DBW JDM model and that’s what I’m running/testing in all sorts of speed range at the moment.

Kaz

Will you be offering this as a service when its finalised?

amritsingh
25-02-2021, 02:49 AM
I know this is an old thread but I am still curious how difficult is it to remove the max speed limit on 91 JDM cruise control.
this is my cruise control unit and I can see there is an extra resistor no 3 near the top left compared to the photo above with no resistors 3 4 5 6 7

britlude
25-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Hmmm... I still have to do mine.....

They look suspiciously like zero ohm links, just for that purpose....

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-02-2021, 12:45 PM
It can be done but I'm afraid it's not my know-how so I won't share the info.
I don't want disturbing my friend's paid service.

However, because you have separated CC unit, your NSX is non-DBW spec so several options available.
With DBW, ECU took over the CC feature and while it can be done, extra steps required.

AFAIK, unlike the EPS controller, there is no double check protocol on the VSS signal at the CC unit.

Nowadays, you can easily get readily-made pulse generator, divider, etc or even program your own code at very reasonable price.

So, you could just isolate the VSS input and modify it to your demand.

Kaz

britlude
25-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Who do we contact to purchase the info/send in for modification?

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-02-2021, 03:49 PM
I can re-program it for you.

Kaz