PDA

View Full Version : FD2 Vs R26R ring video

rtbm
09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi all

bought a new toy to go with NSX ........thought i would take to ring and have ago at "r26r"....its a mates one.....what do you think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubE1ZNZiOpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLzYyzSeUo

NoelWatson
09-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi all

bought a new toy to go with NSX ........thought i would take to ring and have ago at "r26r"....its a mates one.....what do you think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubE1ZNZiOpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLzYyzSeUo

Did the R26R lap the Honda?

rtbm
09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Noel

sorry did'nt understand the question?......we started off together i got blocked on a corner by a "rude" m3.....r26r moved up inside then i chased for another 20 odd miles...made a pass on it just after "adenau" bridge but he cut me up and the chase continued.

NoelWatson
09-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Noel

sorry did'nt understand the question?......we started off together i got blocked on a corner by a "rude" m3.....r26r moved up inside then i chased for another 20 odd miles...made a pass on it just after "adenau" bridge but he cut me up and the chase continued.

It's just that whenever I go on track in my R26.R the Civics act as moving roadblocks.

rtbm
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
It's just that whenever I go on track in my R26.R the Civics act as moving roadblocks.

Oh I see.....have you been to the ring in r26r?.......I had one myself....no:26.

The car you see in video is chipped to 260bhp, big inter-cooler,decat,pads etc.
My fd2 has mods power then 240bhp.....

Weight of cars 1220 r26/ 1240 civic.

I have trackdayed with black r26 guy for ten years now so both ok behind wheel.

As you can see in video both cars not taking it easy......top speed very similar.....r26 pulls up hill better but civic has longer wheel base so more stable at high speed etc......may-be their would be a greater difference on a race circuit but at the ring it was as close as you see.......enjoy r26r it's a great car without a doubt......but keep an eye out for a little white civic with a great exhaust note

NSX 2000
09-11-2010, 10:20 PM
What tyres are you both running?

Paul

PS good video bythe way

nobby
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
some excellent driving there mate! :cool:

you make the ring look so easy, but its NOT

credit to the both of you, for putting on a good run.

Impressive

NoelWatson
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Oh I see.....have you been to the ring in r26r?.......I had one myself....no:26.

The car you see in video is chipped to 260bhp, big inter-cooler,decat,pads etc.
My fd2 has mods power then 240bhp.....

Weight of cars 1220 r26/ 1240 civic.

I have trackdayed with black r26 guy for ten years now so both ok behind wheel.

As you can see in video both cars not taking it easy......top speed very similar.....r26 pulls up hill better but civic has longer wheel base so more stable at high speed etc......may-be their would be a greater difference on a race circuit but at the ring it was as close as you see.......enjoy r26r it's a great car without a doubt......but keep an eye out for a little white civic with a great exhaust note

I went to the ring for the first time in July in the Renault. A big experience and scared me half to death, and I was going a lot slower than you! I was only teasing about the Civic - the person I came up against on a track day recently drove like a lady! I was very tempted by the FD2 but I wasn't sure about warranty (did you get yours from Litchfield?) so went for Renault instead.

markc
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice videos rtbm, you obviously know the 'ring pretty well :cool:

Nothing else sounds like a tortured VTEC motor :) You'll need to be careful not to "buzz" the engine on aggressive downchanges when chasing down that Megane, sounded like you came dangerously close a couple of times!

Your Civic certainly sounds better than an R26R even if the induction snort might be a little over the top in the case of your particular car!

When I get my Focus RS I'll show you both the way round ;) (Joking)

Cheers

Mark

rtbm
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
What tyres are you both running?

Paul

PS good video bythe way

toyo 888 for r26r

re070 for civic

rtbm
10-11-2010, 02:10 PM
some excellent driving there mate! :cool:

you make the ring look so easy, but its NOT

credit to the both of you, for putting on a good run.

Impressive

cheers for that.......power curve of civic took some adjusting to....still not sure i'v done it now...lol

rtbm
10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice videos rtbm, you obviously know the 'ring pretty well :cool:

Nothing else sounds like a tortured VTEC motor :) You'll need to be careful not to "buzz" the engine on aggressive downchanges when chasing down that Megane, sounded like you came dangerously close a couple of times!

Your Civic certainly sounds better than an R26R even if the induction snort might be a little over the top in the case of your particular car!

When I get my Focus RS I'll show you both the way round ;) (Joking)

Cheers

Mark

mark ...yep fair point on revs and shifts etc..it has shift light but very hard to see....BMW on slicks up my arse caused worst one!!
Peak power on car at 8350rpm.....so found it difficult on certain parts to keep on boil....hit limiter on this car more times than any other on track!!!....as for buzzing engine i understand valves will hit after 10000rpm..!!!! so think i was ok...just!!....oh and on focus point enjoy....shame you had to buy all that extra power to be quick...lol

on noise side under 5000rpm still as OEM....once on it the "gruppe m"....well you can here.....i think the noise is why i used limiter all day.....so bloody addictive......not bad for an old "hybrid"

rtbm
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I went to the ring for the first time in July in the Renault. A big experience and scared me half to death, and I was going a lot slower than you! I was only teasing about the Civic - the person I came up against on a track day recently drove like a lady! I was very tempted by the FD2 but I wasn't sure about warranty (did you get yours from Litchfield?) so went for Renault instead.

yep Noel ring can be daunting on Saturday had 15 cars writtern off and river running on the track......bit of a challenge on re070's....bought my car from japan as wanted best i could get. I had R26R for track and abarth 500 for road.....after some thought sold both and bought type r......even after mods put half of the proceeds back in bank!!!......i use this car daily.....took to ring due to time of year and **** weather out their.....i have to say it was just great.....to run with R26R was unexpected success....i never got a clear lap due to traffic.

NSX 2000
10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
toyo 888 for r26r

re070 for civic

AAAHHHH the re070's oem tyres for the NSX type R as well, but we can't get them here :( so what will you do when they ware out?

Paul

sutats
10-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Great video. Is passing on the right allowed at Nurburgring?

What intake is on the FD2?

nobby
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
In a word ... NO! :)

nobby
10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Was over for the 1st time ever during the summer and took the NSX. My video footage compared to yours leaves a lot to be desired! :eek:

how many laps have you done there now?

and yes loved the overtake on the right! :D

cheers for that.......power curve of civic took some adjusting to....still not sure i'v done it now...lol

havoc
10-11-2010, 07:19 PM
In a word ... NO! :)

Unless you happen to be in a heavily modded bright-green Supra and (a) can't be bothered to wait for the 911 turbo to pass you and (b) are completely oblivious to the right-indicator of the black 'teg in front of you on his first ever lap! :eek:

Scared the **** out of me and made me so glad I automatically do a life-saver before moving...

rtbm
10-11-2010, 08:21 PM
AAAHHHH the re070's oem tyres for the NSX type R as well, but we can't get them here :( so what will you do when they ware out?

Paul

Hi Paul.....think I will go for yoko ado8's......had a go on them at spa in damp condition on Elise .....very good

rtbm
10-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Intake is "Gruppe M".....and on RMA days you can over take anywhere it's safe to do so!!!!

rtbm
10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Was over for the 1st time ever during the summer and took the NSX. My video footage compared to yours leaves a lot to be desired! :eek:

how many laps have you done there now?

and yes loved the overtake on the right! :D

That was my first two laps ever....lol.......

No I have done about 60 in total over the last three years.... But hope to do many more it's Great fun

nobby
10-11-2010, 10:14 PM
mate if that was your 1st to laps quit your day job and i'll be watching you on touring cars or something! ;)

you would definitely know you'd been round there a few times. I hope to re visit very soon ... hopefully next year. sort of got the bug when i was there!

That was my first two laps ever....lol.......

No I have done about 60 in total over the last three years.... But hope to do many more it's Great fun

Senninha
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
So the heavy mods on the Renault explain why you were running so close . ..

On my first visit to the 'Ring, Renault were testing what turned out to be the R26. From watching your video's you can see/hear where the Renault has the gearing advantage over the Civic.

Looked like a fun few laps ...

If only it wasn't a day's drive away :rolleyes:

regards,

rtbm
10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
So the heavy mods on the Renault explain why you were running so close . ..

On my first visit to the 'Ring, Renault were testing what turned out to be the R26. From watching your video's you can see/hear where the Renault has the gearing advantage over the Civic.

Looked like a fun few laps ...

If only it wasn't a day's drive away :rolleyes:

regards,

Sorry Paul not sure what you mean.......I thought the mods to r26r would mean I would get dropped....did you mean mods to civic?.....r26r up from standard too

FD2 has.....toda exhaust, CPL manifold, Gruppe M, Hondata, oil cooler/baffled sump, ds2500, line/fluid change,RE070(oem shocks/springs)
R26R has 265bhp re-map, big front mount, de-cat, performance friction pads, toyo 888.

Great battle from driver point of view.

markc
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM

It's strange how you notice how similar cars (to your own) always seem to be in your way isn't it. At the last couple of trackdays I've attended in the NSX there always seemed to be a Noble (M12) in the way... or spinning off in front of me!

Cheers

Mark

AR
11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Great driving and induction noise!

EK4 hatchback
11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Your driving is quite impressive!! I don't have the ball to do it.

rtbm
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Your driving is quite impressive!! I don't have the ball to do it.

can be difficult at ring.......but track driving is a great buzz.......to start just try airfield day in an old car, get cheap one off pistonheads .......and have a blast then move on to somthing more special when you are more confident.

regards

russell

havoc
11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
It's strange how you notice how similar cars (to your own) always seem to be in your way isn't it. At the last couple of trackdays I've attended in the NSX there always seemed to be a Noble (M12) in the way... or spinning off in front of me!

Cheers

Mark

Oh, yeah - absolutely! ;)

:paperbag: And I never got overtaken by a Fiesta ST around there on my 2nd lap... :rolleyes:

Rob_Fenn
12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
The R26.R is very impressive, but i fail to see the point in a hot hatch with just 2 seats. Kind of defeats the point of it being an all-rounder i think.

Personally think the FD2 is pretty ugly. Did they do a coupe/integra version in Japan? I like the front end, but just don't think it works as a saloon.

NoelWatson
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
The R26.R is very impressive, but i fail to see the point in a hot hatch with just 2 seats. Kind of defeats the point of it being an all-rounder i think.

What else can you get for £18k with warranty that is as fast round a track in the hands of an average driver?

Rob_Fenn
12-11-2010, 02:42 PM
That's not the issue. Like i said, it's the practicality which is the issue for me. People buy hot hatches because they can still do the school run, go to the shops etc. When the Focus RS can be had for a couple of grand more, that would be the car i'd go for...not that i'd ever want a FWD as a track day car.

Or if you really want scaffolding...
http://pistonheads.com/sales/2134813.htm

NoelWatson
12-11-2010, 02:52 PM
That's not the issue. Like i said, it's the practicality which is the issue for me. People buy hot hatches because they can still do the school run, go to the shops etc. When the Focus RS can be had for a couple of grand more, that would be the car i'd go for...not that i'd ever want a FWD as a track day car.

My OAP mother goes to the shops in the Renault (very big boot), and also does the school run (she works at one!)

rtbm
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Personally think the FD2 is pretty ugly. Did they do a coupe/integra version in Japan? I like the front end, but just don't think it works as a saloon.

hi Rob

don't miss the point of the r26r.......it will always be special for the reason you quote "failing to see the point".....in years to come all us petrolheads will speak about it in the same light as the "Turbo 2" etc how much sense did that car make.

Now on to my ugly car....lol......it was the last of the type r run....will we see anymore in light of "emissions" etc.....truth told its not as nice as my NSX!!!......but as you know Honda build these cars from the ground up to be true specials.......at the ring this car was just brilliant for an old "hybrid".....it was me who tried to kill the poor thing......i drive it daily and wait for it "i sold R26R and 500 Abrath".....saved half the money and bought a car i would enjoy under lots of conditions.......could have bought lots of out right powerful cars but this has sole.....and that great engine we all on here love....the civic for a factory car should have got more praise here but as it was "JDM" only it got little press......lets be honest the NSX-R only got the press it did by honda saying they would sell a very limited run....handful of test cars made it then the plug was pulled......its stories like this that make cars special.......just my opinion...but granted it did hit a branch or two of the ugly tree on the way down....lol

To close, i'm 42yrs old and feel i can drive the civic without looking a dick as i feel i would in younger guys type cars (not going to mention which ones....will upset someone i'm sure...lol)....it's the most practical car i'v had in years......yes, yes.....when i get to the ring all this adult stuff go's out the window.....Banzi....lol

rtbm
12-11-2010, 08:47 PM

See Rob your at the age you could buy, "focus RS"....it's a young mans car and...people buy these for all the power to make up for the bad driving..lol......as for not wanting FWD for the track.....you seen BTTC recently......!!

havoc
12-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I think the advantage of the Renault is the semi-foolproof (& very chuckable) fwd handling - even an average driver can feel a hero in a well set-up fwd car.

But I agree that a 2-seat "hot hatch" does seem rather silly - if someone wants a serious track-weapon they'll get a near-new Caterham/Elise for similar money. Agreed though that as a limited-edition hardcore machine it will always be slightly special, just like the DC2 (or Racing Puma) only rarer.

NoelWatson
12-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I think the advantage of the Renault is the semi-foolproof (& very chuckable) fwd handling - even an average driver can feel a hero in a well set-up fwd car.

But I agree that a 2-seat "hot hatch" does seem rather silly - if someone wants a serious track-weapon they'll get a near-new Caterham/Elise for similar money. Agreed though that as a limited-edition hardcore machine it will always be slightly special, just like the DC2 (or Racing Puma) only rarer.

Agreed

But I agree that a 2-seat "hot hatch" does seem rather silly - if someone wants a serious track-weapon they'll get a near-new Caterham/Elise for similar money.

Elise would be slooooow. What Caterham could you get for 18k ish?

markc
12-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I love the R26R, it might be FWD but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You can get a perfectly nice Caterham Roadsport or an earlier Superlight for £18K but the straights would seem to last forever and you wouldn't want to drive it all the way to Spa or the Nurburgring and then lap all day in anything other than perfect weather. Even then it'd be fairly masochistic! Ohh and don't even think about a warranty!!!

Cheers

Mark

rtbm
13-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Today's car market........pretty much all manufactures are into hot hatch....and we are spoilt for choice....their has never been a better time to get a belter for good money...their will always be the second hand/new debate...as always down to the person buying.....tech has seen that we can have more power from FWD than ever....press support the RS Focus these days in front of say scoobie/mitsys etc.....this will change as four wheel drive to the masses catches up ......new WRX STI just set "7.55" at the ring in oem form etc (mind tommy makenine worth lots of that WRX time).......we all love somthing different......R26R has many virtues.......but like most things it is at time a novalty.....bit like civic engine note etc......but for now i will remine enticed......

rtbm
13-11-2010, 07:18 AM
I love the R26R, it might be FWD but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You can get a perfectly nice Caterham Roadsport or an earlier Superlight for £18K but the straights would seem to last forever and you wouldn't want to drive it all the way to Spa or the Nurburgring and then lap all day in anything other than perfect weather. Even then it'd be fairly masochistic! Ohh and don't even think about a warranty!!!

Cheers

Mark

just the point r26r and civic type r are perfect for the unpredictable weather we always seem to get in current "eco" times......lets be honest if it was all about out right speed and thrills and sod anything else we would all get "super bikes"........

Justin
13-11-2010, 09:40 AM
lets be honest if it was all about out right speed and thrills and sod anything else we would all get "super bikes"...

Good point; I can't think of anything I would rather do less than ride my Ducati as far as Germany, regardless of the thrills that might be waiting there. It would be a surefire entry to the Guinness Book of Bumcramp.

NoelWatson
13-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Good point; I can't think of anything I would rather do less than ride my Ducati as far as Germany, regardless of the thrills that might be waiting there. It would be a surefire entry to the Guinness Book of Bumcramp.

Driving to the ring through torrential downpours onn 888s gave me bumtwitch on more than one occasion!

NSX 2000
13-11-2010, 11:25 AM

I agree Rob, that's why I bought a UKDM MUGEN :D

NSX 2000
13-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Paul.....think I will go for yoko ado8's......had a go on them at spa in damp condition on Elise .....very good

Hi Russel

I've got the Yoko's on the NSX and I'm very impressed, plus the guy who bought MUGEN 01 also bought the last MUGEN (21) and told MUGEN to fit it with the yoko's.

If you can give us a bit of warning for your next trip to the Ring then perhaps if it's OK with you Noel and I can join you and your mate, then we can have two R26R's and two Civic's type r's :D

I think I might of seen you the other day (in the civic) as well driving up the Maidstone Rd, but you hadn't posted this thread, so I only looked at the car not the driver :laugh:

Paul

rtbm
13-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi Russel

I've got the Yoko's on the NSX and I'm very impressed, plus the guy who bought MUGEN 01 also bought the last MUGEN (21) and told MUGEN to fit it with the yoko's.

If you can give us a bit of warning for your next trip to the Ring then perhaps if it's OK with you Noel and I can join you and your mate, then we can have two R26R's and two Civic's type r's :D

I think I might of seen you the other day (in the civic) as well driving up the Maidstone Rd, but you hadn't posted this thread, so I only looked at the car not the driver :laugh:

Paul

You are more than welcome to come on future trip its great driving and good mates etc....my care home is in maidstone rd so has to be my car....these mugan cars are they "jdm".......surely no one has bought a "uk" fn2...mugan !!!!!!....£40,000...!!!!.....i'd like to see how mine would fair with either.....i'v nothing to lose....not sure mugan men would feel the same...lol

rtbm
13-11-2010, 12:12 PM

my first visit to the ring was on Honda CBR600RR in the wet...!!!!!!!...horrid...lol

a mate has 998 duke....doing 7.30mins on ring.....!!!!

Justin
13-11-2010, 12:43 PM
my first visit to the ring was on Honda CBR600RR in the wet...!!!!!!!...horrid...lol

My OAP uncle swears by the comfort of Honda bikes though, and regularly tours his 'Blade everywhere. He's always trying to get me to switch to "proper" Honda bikes, but I'm happy with the Honda Z50 and Duke 748 combo :)

NoelWatson
13-11-2010, 12:50 PM
i'd like to see how mine would fair with either.....i'v nothing to lose....not sure mugan men would feel the same...lol

You will never get the chance to find out. Mugen man will pit in a hurry as soon as he sees you looming in his rear view mirror if past experience is anything to go by!

rtbm
13-11-2010, 01:10 PM
My OAP uncle swears by the comfort of Honda bikes though, and regularly tours his 'Blade everywhere. He's always trying to get me to switch to "proper" Honda bikes, but I'm happy with the Honda Z50 and Duke 748 combo :)

the bike was great it was me who was scared ****less....lol